Page 18 of 49 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Thread: RingPlus MVNO Pros and Cons

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PhonePhun View Post
    I see that RingPlus is now having offers for service using AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile devices. When used with RingPlus, are those devices actually running on those other networks, or are they cherrypicking devices that happen to include radios that are compatible with the Sprint network (and just using those devices on the Sprint network)?...
    It is a short list of phones that are capable of multi carrier operation - iPhone 5S and above and Nexus 5 & 6. On R+ they operate only on Sprint.

Feedback Score
    Should work with the latest Motorola moto X pure as well

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    Should work with the latest Motorola moto X pure as well
    Moto X Pure should be compatible, but it is not on their list.

https://discourse.ringplus.net/t/rin...-12pm-pdt/5857

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    Yes 25 = 1900 MHz
    26 = 800
    41 = 2500.

It tries first for band 41, then 25, then 26.

(Band 41 has the most capacity, and higher speed, but limited range. Band 26 has wide range propagation so they try to save it for when it is really needed, before falling back to 3G 1900 or even 1X 1900 or 1X800 if needed).
    A really useful app for Sprint/MVNO users is 'Signal Check' (Pro or Lite).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hecklite&hl=en

The Pro version has some convenient features such as pinned signal connection icons.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 503ducati View Post
    A really useful app for Sprint/MVNO users is 'Signal Check' (Pro or Lite).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hecklite&hl=en

The Pro version has some convenient features such as pinned signal connection icons.
    FWIW, I much prefer the "LTE Discovery" app. It provides much more info in the free version than Signal Check Lite, and I've had problems with the later reflecting the wrong band (perhaps caused by the following); not updating to the correct band after it changes; and claiming I have no connection (voice OR data) when I clearly do (for example, when several voice bars are indicated on the phone or as I am actually downloading via LTE.) I pretty quickly uninstalled Signal Check Lite...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PhonePhun View Post
    I see that RingPlus is now having offers for service using AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile devices. When used with RingPlus, are those devices actually running on those other networks, or are they cherrypicking devices that happen to include radios that are compatible with the Sprint network (and just using those devices on the Sprint network)?
    Just devices that can run on Sprint:

All non-Sprint devices will require a Universal ICCID card (i.e., a kind of SIM card) which can be ordered at store.ringplus.net. Eligible devices are the iPhone 6s, 6s+, 6, 6+, and Nexus 5 from T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint, and ATT; and the iPhone 5s and 5c from Verizon and Sprint.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brg View Post
    FWIW, I much prefer the "LTE Discovery" app. It provides much more info in the free version than Signal Check Lite, and I've had problems with the later reflecting the wrong band (perhaps caused by the following); not updating to the correct band after it changes; and claiming I have no connection (voice OR data) when I clearly do (for example, when several voice bars are indicated on the phone or as I am actually downloading via LTE.) I pretty quickly uninstalled Signal Check Lite...
    In an AT&T context, reputable people have reported the opposite, but of course these apps are getting updated pretty frequently.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Moto X Pure should be compatible, but it is not on their list.

https://discourse.ringplus.net/t/rin...-12pm-pdt/5857
    I would bet the only barrier would be the ESN whitelist issue, and probably not even that, certainly worth a try.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    It is a short list of phones that are capable of multi carrier operation - iPhone 5S and above and Nexus 5 & 6. On R+ they operate only on Sprint.
    Thanks. I had a hunch that was the case. Got excited that RingPlus was perhaps adding more network partners!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    I would bet the only barrier would be the ESN whitelist issue, and probably not even that, certainly worth a try.
    RingPlus is selling a SIM for the Motorola Moto X Pure (3rd generation) here.

Does that alleviate ESN whitelist concerns, or could that still be an issue?

Feedback Score
    With all of these phones, as long as you bought them outright and are not part of any carrier contract subsidy or financing plan, you should be ok. Either they're already in the database, or ringplus is confident of their being able to add them.

Feedback Score
    One of this set is not the same as the rest
    HTC One M9, anyone know if the Unlocked version is universal, or do you think they only mean the Sprint variant?

Feedback Score
    Has anybody mentioned service outages because calls are routed through the Ringplus servers before getting to Sprint?

Feedback Score
    ^^^

Strikes me also that "frequent service outages" should be added as a "minus." They had one for several hours yesterday (voice = N/A; texting and data seemed to work) with no "fallback" to Sprint-without-R+-servers as has sometimes occurred in the past. I have never used a cellular phone service with such frequent service outages.

But, repeat after me: (in my case) it's free. That's why my primary service is on TF, and why my primary number/DID is Google Voice and can be re-forwarded quickly to any available working service. Heck, even a friend's phone if need-be...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brg View Post
    But, repeat after me: (in my case) it's free. That's why my primary service is on TF, and why my primary number/DID is Google Voice and can be re-forwarded quickly to any available working service. Heck, even a friend's phone if need-be...
    Yes I'm not going to throw it away because of the outage yesterday. I was affected by it since I was out for several hours and wanted to call back home but I also had my T-Mobile phone with me so I was able to make the call I needed to make.
    It was irritating but I had a backup phone with me and wasn't out of contact.
    I always carry at least 2 phones when I'm away from home for hours.

I just know not to count on having service with RingPlus.
    I'd be really angry if I was a paying customer and was without service for as long as it was out yesterday.

Sent from my Wonderful LG Optimus L90

Page 18 of 49 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast