Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile in Montana

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Sorry, but it is within city limits just off S Reserve Street, not "miles out from the city." Direct line of sight to UM, downtown.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FootyMax View Post
    Sorry, but it is within city limits just off S Reserve Street, not "miles out from the city." Direct line of sight to UM, downtown.
    Line of sight is a terrible term to use. Clear path is a better term (research RF propagation) and there certainly is not a clear path from that site to the U of M or to downtown, and it is several miles from either.

Feedback Score
    So, I make a somewhat regular drive on I-90 toward Butte/Bozeman/Billings and saw something this morning that held promise. There's a tower right by the highway at the intersection of I-15 and I-90 - one that is on the list of towers I've found that T-Mobile will be placing gear on. Two guys in a bucket working on something at the open 3rd level where their stuff would be placed. Primary location at that intersection and the timing seems right. Let's hope...

Feedback Score
    Things appear to be going live in Missoula and perhaps that tower over by Discovery Ski Area that will hook up with at least 3 that I recall. Should be a very interesting next couple of days!

Carrier(s)
    Wind+T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Have a look at Sensorly, y'all.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yangj08 View Post
    Have a look at Sensorly, y'all.
    Sweet!!! It's nice to see coverage come online.

Feedback Score
    New permit app for a new tower site next to the Helena Gun Club. This is about 4 miles away from Carroll College/3.5 to the airport. I ask myself why they would be walking in coverage toward the center of that town if they only intended to build out for "tourists passing through Montana". The answer, of course, is that they will be selling in MT.

Feedback Score
    Oh, 287 headed out of Helena also appears to be going live through Townsend and that tower they are placing gear on by Toston.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    According to RootMetrics, Anaconda, Townsend, Missoula, and Hot Springs-Lone Pine are live. The fact that TMO would cover Hot Springs-Lone Pine with LTE should end all debate that TMO is only concerned with urban areas. :-)

Feedback Score
    According to RootMetrics, Anaconda, Townsend, Missoula, and Hot Springs-Lone Pine are live. The fact that TMO would cover Hot Springs-Lone Pine with LTE should end all debate that TMO is only concerned with urban areas. :-)
    I don't think that's ever been the claim in Montana... it's clear that this is a network being built to quickly provide a minimal level of service to a very large geographic area, density be darned.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan T View Post
    I don't think that's ever been the claim in Montana... it's clear that this is a network being built to quickly provide a minimal level of service to a very large geographic area, density be darned.
    Not sure why you think that claim was related to Montana...that's been a years-old criticism of TMO in general. I also think it's way too early to reach that conclusion about network density. Let's wait and see what TMO does.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    https://twitter.com/JohnLegere/statu...89241303003137

"Now, we’re even in parts of… beautiful Montana!!! #Missoula & #Kalispell are #justthestart!! #TMobileInTheWild" - John Legere

Feedback Score
    Helena, Butte, Whitefish, Anaconda on the way soon according to the other. But we already knew that

Speaking of, a new record today on the MT building site for a 6-panel, 6-dish tower on that mountain east of Butte. Very nice.

Feedback Score
    Not sure why you think that claim was related to Montana...that's been a years-old criticism of TMO in general. I also think it's way too early to reach that conclusion about network density. Let's wait and see what TMO does.
    Given John announced the Missoula and Kalispell launch today, I'd say it wasn't too early at all. I'm not there, anymore, sadly - but talking to friends I have a decent idea what's built. I'll be visiting next weekend and highly curious, but my Nexus 5X doesn't support band 12.

It sounds like it's band 12 LTE + band 4 UMTS, with site spacing for band 12 LTE. There is something downtown, for sure, from the readings my friend there is seeing. There's also definitely NOT a site on campus. At first I was shocked by this, now it makes more sense. The campus has a good WiFi build, and I'm sure it isn't cheap to get a mobile site on campus (though the other major networks have them, well Sprint will when they launch - among the leases they bought out includes one on Miller Hall). Why pay to build your network in a place that already has excellent WiFi, when the world (especially students) are rapidly moving away from voice and on to data? Add in WiFi calling, and not paying to locate a site on campus actually makes a lot of sense. It's the opposite of AT&T's old strategy, they had a site on campus (and two others in Missoula aimed entirely at students) several years before they took over Alltel and had a full Montana network.

Is it a pretty network build in Montana? No. REALLY spotty UMTS and a 5x5 of band 12 LTE. But it's definitely something, and will be interesting to watch this space.

I was also really confused by the fact it's UMTS in band 4 instead of LTE (then using the tiny sliver of PCS they have for GSM voice). Especially since T-Mobile has made it clear they want to get rid of band 4 UMTS and replace it with LTE. Well, looking at the FCC spectrum dashboard, it looks like they have a 10x10 of AWS in Missoula, I thought it was only a 5x5. LTE could be coming on half of that?

Will be interesting to see, for sure. But I stand by the basic message... they're not going after Montana customers anytime in the foreseeable future. The network is sparse and they don't own phone numbers in Montana - they're not building this to gain new phone customers in state now, that's very clear. Could it come? Sure, John even hinted at that in his announcement today, but it isn't now.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan T View Post
    Given John announced the Missoula and Kalispell launch today, I'd say it wasn't too early at all. I'm not there, anymore, sadly - but talking to friends I have a decent idea what's built. I'll be visiting next weekend and highly curious, but my Nexus 5X doesn't support band 12.

It sounds like it's band 12 LTE + band 4 UMTS, with site spacing for band 12 LTE. There is something downtown, for sure, from the readings my friend there is seeing. There's also definitely NOT a site on campus. At first I was shocked by this, now it makes more sense. The campus has a good WiFi build, and I'm sure it isn't cheap to get a mobile site on campus (though the other major networks have them, well Sprint will when they launch - among the leases they bought out includes one on Miller Hall). Why pay to build your network in a place that already has excellent WiFi, when the world (especially students) are rapidly moving away from voice and on to data? Add in WiFi calling, and not paying to locate a site on campus actually makes a lot of sense. It's the opposite of AT&T's old strategy, they had a site on campus (and two others in Missoula aimed entirely at students) several years before they took over Alltel and had a full Montana network.

Is it a pretty network build in Montana? No. REALLY spotty UMTS and a 5x5 of band 12 LTE. But it's definitely something, and will be interesting to watch this space.

I was also really confused by the fact it's UMTS in band 4 instead of LTE (then using the tiny sliver of PCS they have for GSM voice). Especially since T-Mobile has made it clear they want to get rid of band 4 UMTS and replace it with LTE. Well, looking at the FCC spectrum dashboard, it looks like they have a 10x10 of AWS in Missoula, I thought it was only a 5x5. LTE could be coming on half of that?

Will be interesting to see, for sure. But I stand by the basic message... they're not going after Montana customers anytime in the foreseeable future. The network is sparse and they don't own phone numbers in Montana - they're not building this to gain new phone customers in state now, that's very clear. Could it come? Sure, John even hinted at that in his announcement today, but it isn't now.
    At the end of the day, you don't know the full extent of what TMO is doing there (unless you're a network engineer for them in that area). Which makes it all, I say this respectfully, speculation. Let's wait and see what they build. None of us have complete information and thus can't speak to what TMO intends, or will or will not do.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast