Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile in Montana

Feedback Score
    Would be smart to acquire pcs while they can. Put up antennas on existing towers and have a nice dense speedy network

Feedback Score
    It seemed like a good idea to have another look at any recent permitting activities in MT. Two new building permits were issued on 9/28. One in St. Regis and the other in... West Yellowstone at an AT&T tower. That one was definitely a surprise. Maps are showing coverage up into Rexburg thus will this extend when possible to Bozeman...?

I also saw 4 new ones on the ULS site in Clancy, Jefferson City, another in Helena, and Darby.

So, looking at the old map it appears that I-90 from the Idaho border will be very well covered all the way to about the Three Forks area.

I-15 looks like it will be passably good from south of Dillon to Butte, and very good from Butte to Helena. I would guess they have something in the works to cover the area north of Idaho Falls over the MT border.

93 from Whitefish down through the Idaho border also is clearly going to be quite workable and will undoubtedly soon connect nicely with the coverage people have been reporting near the Salmon area.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vesn View Post
    It seemed like a good idea to have another look at any recent permitting activities in MT. Two new building permits were issued on 9/28. One in St. Regis and the other in... West Yellowstone at an AT&T tower. That one was definitely a surprise. Maps are showing coverage up into Rexburg thus will this extend when possible to Bozeman...?

I also saw 4 new ones on the ULS site in Clancy, Jefferson City, another in Helena, and Darby.

So, looking at the old map it appears that I-90 from the Idaho border will be very well covered all the way to about the Three Forks area.

I-15 looks like it will be passably good from south of Dillon to Butte, and very good from Butte to Helena. I would guess they have something in the works to cover the area north of Idaho Falls over the MT border.

93 from Whitefish down through the Idaho border also is clearly going to be quite workable and will undoubtedly soon connect nicely with the coverage people have been reporting near the Salmon area.
    But Yellowstone coverage isn't important!
    Have you read the forum rules lately?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fraydog View Post
    But Yellowstone coverage isn't important!
    Definitely have heard that somewhere before...
    Things are rolling in MT.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 521
    Carrier(s)
    TMO
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FootyMax View Post
    I found an application for microwave transmission in Butte on the FCC's ULS database today. Sounds like TMO is getting close to lighting up their Montana network.
    That would be so great! I live in Utah but work one week a month in Butte. Tired of having to turn off my cellular data so that I don't get the message: "your paltry 10meg of roaming data is about gone."

For some reason, MMS message don't go through while roaming on AT&T, only plain text.

Jim

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Quan View Post
    That would be so great! I live in Utah but work one week a month in Butte. Tired of having to turn off my cellular data so that I don't get the message: "your paltry 10meg of roaming data is about gone."

For some reason, MMS message don't go through while roaming on AT&T, only plain text.

Jim
    MMS uses data, that's why.
    Personal bests:

Sprint // $70 Unlimited + iPhone Forever
    Apple iPhone 6s (Sprint)

[Formerly] Verizon Wireless // More Everything™ 10GB
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (VZW) | Motorola DROID RAZR M
    http://www.speedtest.net/android/1119949246.png
    T-Mobile // Simple Choice Prepaid Unlimited
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (VZW)
    http://www.speedtest.net/android/1146406371.png

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by E_tron View Post
    Perhaps T-mobile will reach a spectrum lease agreement with MTPCS/Chinook Wireless? Acquire those PCS blocks that are currently idle in Montana? MTPCS only sold the infrastructure to Sprint, I think they still own the spectrum.
    They don't own any spectrum in Montana (or North Dakota) anymore. Their Montana PCS A block (and North Dakota AWS) spectrum was sold to Verizon and their Montana PCS F and C block spectrum was sold to ATT. Below are links to the attachment pages of the relevant FCC applications.

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/Appl...pplID=8389345#
    http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/Appl...pplID=8385477#

Feedback Score
    I moved to England from Missoula MT but I still have friends and family in MT so this is of interest to me. The issue with it, and I always wanted to see T-Mobile come to Montana, is that it looks like it will be missing Great Falls and Billings. That will make it a hard sell to anyone in Montana honestly. I see this as more a way to improve the experience for students in Missoula and Bozeman, politicians with business in Helena, and tourists in western Montana.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA, Vodafone ES
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan T View Post
    I moved to England from Missoula MT but I still have friends and family in MT so this is of interest to me. The issue with it, and I always wanted to see T-Mobile come to Montana, is that it looks like it will be missing Great Falls and Billings. That will make it a hard sell to anyone in Montana honestly. I see this as more a way to improve the experience for students in Missoula and Bozeman, politicians with business in Helena, and tourists in western Montana.
    They have to start somewhere and they are making unprecedented progress. Great Falls and Billings will ultimately be covered.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy84094 View Post
    They have to start somewhere and they are making unprecedented progress. Great Falls and Billings will ultimately be covered.
    This.

Who knows what next year will bring.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whitetigergrowl View Post
    This.

Who knows what next year will bring.
    They did win some AWS-3 in Billings so they must intend to build it out.

It would be easier with some 700 spectrum from Bresnan. That could be the new a block that was just purchased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone XS:
    Verizon February UDP (Physical Sim)
    AT&T Unlimited Plus (E-SIM)

iPad Pro 10.5:
    Verizon February UDP

Rural Internet:
    Nighthawk HW1.0 LTE on AT&T Unlimited Plus
    Don’t cheap out on your cables!!!
    Years of struggle to get good speeds on a crap signal
    All solved with some quality LMR400 cables
    (went from 1-6mbps to 20-60mbps!!!)

AT&T Fiber

Feedback Score
    Maybe, maybe not - it depends on their plans. Do they REALLY want to sell service in MT? I'm not convinced. Remember, T-Mobile has been in Montana before, and pulled out. Though that was a different situation, it was built when VoiceStream and CellularOne were two brands of Western Wireless, and my understanding was the initial sale of VoiceStream to T-Mobile said they couldn't compete directly, so they couldn't sell service on it (though for a couple years, some partners did).

Telling is that T-Mobile has not acquired any phone numbers in Montana. If they were going to be selling service in Montana by the end of the year, you'd expect them to have phone numbers in Montana. They don't.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good step - I just don't see it turning into a real effort to win the market.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan T View Post
    Maybe, maybe not - it depends on their plans. Do they REALLY want to sell service in MT? I'm not convinced. Remember, T-Mobile has been in Montana before, and pulled out. Though that was a different situation, it was built when VoiceStream and CellularOne were two brands of Western Wireless, and my understanding was the initial sale of VoiceStream to T-Mobile said they couldn't compete directly, so they couldn't sell service on it (though for a couple years, some partners did).

Telling is that T-Mobile has not acquired any phone numbers in Montana. If they were going to be selling service in Montana by the end of the year, you'd expect them to have phone numbers in Montana. They don't.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good step - I just don't see it turning into a real effort to win the market.
    T-Mobile wouldn't be acquiring spectrum in Montana if it did not intend to sell service. I can see TMO not selling service there until the network has more geographic breadth, given the low population per square mile. But with over a million residents, it is still a market worth serving.
    Last edited by FootyMax; 10-06-2015 at 09:12 AM. Reason: grammar

Feedback Score
    Quick map of everything I've been able to find up to now

Good points regarding the MT expansion. Touting increased coverage definitely is part of the plan. However, it seems as though there's too much infrastructure being put in place to not sell service.

An example that comes to mind is 80 in Nevada between Reno and Utah. Definitely not a high population area and very confined coverage area, yet T-Mobile is being sold at Walmarts in Winnemucca and Elko. It's a easy matter to imagine a similar approach in far larger areas such as Missoula (115 K), Kalispell (95 K) and Helena (80K), or simply going with a T-Mobile shop which I'm certain would have no problem creating business in each location.

The plan seems fairly clear given the Black Hills/ND expansions and T-Mobile's approach to things. Billings and Bozeman will be tied in relatively soon I suspect in order to complete full coverage of I-90 and the 255 K in those towns. 94 out of Billings into ND will be interesting to watch. Great Falls is one of those odd outliers that has about 82 K in the area and will be a fairly easy shot for them from the Helena towers.

I suppose it'll come down to whether or not those who purchase T-Mobile in the western block are willing to accept the roaming thing for the time being when they travel north and east. I suspect that answer is yes given how many people are seeking an alternative and generally will spend most of their time within the western part of the state - one which will be very nicely covered.

Feedback Score
    Whoops, still can't post links.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast