Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile in Montana

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile in Montana

Co-location permit was issued to T-Mobile by the City of Missoula:

https://ebiz.mt.gov/Missoula/Cap/Cap...howInspection=

This would be new coverage. Currently AT&T roaming.

Carrier(s)
    All major providers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FootyMax View Post
    Co-location permit was issued to T-Mobile by the City of Missoula:

https://ebiz.mt.gov/Missoula/Cap/Cap...howInspection=

This would be new coverage. Currently AT&T roaming.
    6 panels means it's unlikely that this is 700mhz only.

Looks to be full build (or at least close). Does anyone know which market will control Montana? A new one, or the ones based in WA, OR, or UT?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmplus View Post
    6 panels means it's unlikely that this is 700mhz only.

Looks to be full build (or at least close). Does anyone know which market will control Montana? A new one, or the ones based in WA, OR, or UT?
    If I had to guess Utah/Colorado would be my guess. They get Montana/Wyoming, Minnesota gets N/S Dakota.

As for the antennas, you are right. I would imagine they are going to use either a 700 only or a dual 700/mid-band antenna with a second mid-band antenna. If they really wanna go all out they could use a 6-pole antenna for G1900, U1900, L2100 and the dual mid/low antenna for L700 and L2100 if they want to do the 4x2 MIMO.

Hoping its the 6 pole antenna to get both GSM and UMTS on air, or they could do 4-pole and keep the dual mid/low for LTE only.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 64GB, iPad Air 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by reedacus25 View Post
    If I had to guess Utah/Colorado would be my guess. They get Montana/Wyoming, Minnesota gets N/S Dakota.

As for the antennas, you are right. I would imagine they are going to use either a 700 only or a dual 700/mid-band antenna with a second mid-band antenna. If they really wanna go all out they could use a 6-pole antenna for G1900, U1900, L2100 and the dual mid/low antenna for L700 and L2100 if they want to do the 4x2 MIMO.

Hoping its the 6 pole antenna to get both GSM and UMTS on air, or they could do 4-pole and keep the dual mid/low for LTE only.
    Do you think they would even bother to turn on GSM services? I would think they would deploy only LTE on all their frequencies, seeing how they are going to start phasing out GSM in a few years and there are no advantages of having HSPA.

^HSPA+ 42mbps---------------------------------------------- ^LTE

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Plenty of advantage to UMTS and GSM still.

UMTS provides rock solid circuit voice and reasonable data. But main purposes is voice.

GSM is an EXTREMELY low toll on PCS spectrum, and allows to pick up some M2M and roaming traffic, as well as excessively old devices.

Plus, if you under build a city the size of Missoula, keeping users on the shorter range network distributes the load more equally, so the L700 doesn't get overwhelmed. Not that that's ideal, but it's a "strategy".

The more devices they support, the less reliant they are on roaming, and the more mileage they get out of their spectrum.

Carrier(s)
    All major providers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jarrodpd View Post
    Do you think they would even bother to turn on GSM services? I would think they would deploy only LTE on all their frequencies, seeing how they are going to start phasing out GSM in a few years and there are no advantages of having HSPA.
    If the network is controlled/deployed out of the Utah team, it will most likely be full build: HSPA, GSM and LTE (as spectrum allows). All new deployments in the last two years from the Utah team has been full build.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would expect them to be full builds, too. Reduces roaming costs and allows for greater device selection. Whether they support 2G GSM is another thing, but as mentioned above, it doesn't take much spectrum. I guess it depends how much AWS/PCS spectrum they have in the area. That being said, I would expect towers to be spaced for 700MHz LTE to start. They can densify the network as they gain customers.
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well, considering T-Mobile only has 2.5x2.5 MHz of PCS in Montana, GSM and maybe a 1.4x1.4 B2 LTE channel is the max they can roll out there. They do have the AWS F block, which in a college town like Missoula with a large portion of permaroaming students, is useful. Seems like they're gonna do full builds in the major cities, with B12 and maybe PCS GSM for the highways for now, which would be a massive improvement over the current situation.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile sold a lot of LTE devices that don't have VoLTE, and not that long ago. Until those get worked out of the system they will need some fallback for E911.
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thank you for all of the thoughtful responses. Although I live in Seattle and enjoy fantastic service from TMO, I grew up in Montana near Missoula and have taken an interest in watching TMO's expansion there.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here are the spectrum holdings for T-Mobile in Missoula:
    http://www.spectrumgateway.com/count...lng=-113.99659

So if it's a full build, they could deploy the following:

5x5 700MHz LTE (max ~37 Mbps)
    10x10 AWS LTE (max ~75 Mbps)
    5x5 AWS HSPA+ (max ~21 Mbps)
    1900MHz 2G GSM

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yes,,,,, since until every phone supports VoLTE they would be in violation of E911 laws for emergency calls.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    6 antennas in a 2 or 3 sector configuration?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I found an application for microwave transmission in Butte on the FCC's ULS database today. Sounds like TMO is getting close to lighting up their Montana network.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile in Montana

Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post
    Here are the spectrum holdings for T-Mobile in Missoula:
    http://www.spectrumgateway.com/count...lng=-113.99659

So if it's a full build, they could deploy the following:

5x5 700MHz LTE (max ~37 Mbps)
    10x10 AWS LTE (max ~75 Mbps)
    5x5 AWS HSPA+ (max ~21 Mbps)
    1900MHz 2G GSM
    I'm betting they skip HSPA/GSM and you see 5+5mhz of LTE in the PCS if they choose to deploy it.

If I was them I would probably just deploy 700mhz and AWS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone XS:
    Verizon February UDP (Physical Sim)
    AT&T Unlimited Plus (E-SIM)

iPad Pro 10.5:
    Verizon February UDP

Rural Internet:
    Nighthawk HW1.0 LTE on AT&T Unlimited Plus
    Don’t cheap out on your cables!!!
    Years of struggle to get good speeds on a crap signal
    All solved with some quality LMR400 cables
    (went from 1-6mbps to 20-60mbps!!!)