MT Map

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vesn View Post
    Quick map of everything I've been able to find up to now

Good points regarding the MT expansion. Touting increased coverage definitely is part of the plan. However, it seems as though there's too much infrastructure being put in place to not sell service.

An example that comes to mind is 80 in Nevada between Reno and Utah. Definitely not a high population area and very confined coverage area, yet T-Mobile is being sold at Walmarts in Winnemucca and Elko. It's a easy matter to imagine a similar approach in far larger areas such as Missoula (115 K), Kalispell (95 K) and Helena (80K), or simply going with a T-Mobile shop which I'm certain would have no problem creating business in each location.

The plan seems fairly clear given the Black Hills/ND expansions and T-Mobile's approach to things. Billings and Bozeman will be tied in relatively soon I suspect in order to complete full coverage of I-90 and the 255 K in those towns. 94 out of Billings into ND will be interesting to watch. Great Falls is one of those odd outliers that has about 82 K in the area and will be a fairly easy shot for them from the Helena towers.

I suppose it'll come down to whether or not those who purchase T-Mobile in the western block are willing to accept the roaming thing for the time being when they travel north and east. I suspect that answer is yes given how many people are seeking an alternative and generally will spend most of their time within the western part of the state - one which will be very nicely covered.
    Travel a little further north and you'll get great coverage! (Canada)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone XS:
    Verizon February UDP (Physical Sim)
    AT&T Unlimited Plus (E-SIM)

iPad Pro 10.5:
    Verizon February UDP

Rural Internet:
    Nighthawk HW1.0 LTE on AT&T Unlimited Plus
    Don’t cheap out on your cables!!!
    Years of struggle to get good speeds on a crap signal
    All solved with some quality LMR400 cables
    (went from 1-6mbps to 20-60mbps!!!)

AT&T Fiber

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I said the same thing when I was in Vermont
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    Trying again.

MT Map
    Thanks very much! But this simply CANNOT be complete, can it? It's got no sites in Helena, but rural sites all around Helena. Same with Kalispell. It has sites in Missoula, but nothing for the University of Montana?

Is it perhaps missing things like rooftop sites?

Carrier(s)
    All major providers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan T View Post
    Thanks very much! But this simply CANNOT be complete, can it? It's got no sites in Helena, but rural sites all around Helena. Same with Kalispell. It has sites in Missoula, but nothing for the University of Montana?

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I don't think his map shows every site, only the sites that are confirmed. There probably is other sites not on the map.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmplus View Post
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I don't think his map shows every site, only the sites that are confirmed. There probably is other sites not on the map.
    That's what I'm asking, LOL. How complete he believes this data is? If it's believed to be more or less complete they're going to cover a lot of land but the quality of the service will be awful in the cities.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    That's what I'm asking, LOL. How complete he believes this data is? If it's believed to be more or less complete they're going to cover a lot of land but the quality of the service will be awful in the cities.
    With no one on the network starting out, T-Mobile could crank up site power on both 700 MHz and AWS. I'm not saying that would be ideal once people started buying in at a greater number but it would work to kickstart their efforts. Then they could densify after the fact.

The Nokia base stations T-Mobile uses are ridiculously small, almost as small as a small cell so T-Mobile could easily put them on a rooftop.
    Have you read the forum rules lately?

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile, at&t, FI
    Feedback Score
    Sounds like the verizon strategy- only all pink instead of all red.

Feedback Score
    How complete he believes this data is?
    I definitely noticed the same thing - the obvious gaps in the centers of the towns. It's entirely possible that they will indeed drop something in those areas that's not listed on the permit sites at this point.

For what it's worth, I was in the neighborhood last week and the T-Mobile "office" in Missoula had a couple of WA trucks parked out front, a very low-key, unidentifiable building, and the tower right next door showed no signs of work being done.

Get rolling on it, John!

Feedback Score
    I definitely noticed the same thing - the obvious gaps in the centers of the towns. It's entirely possible that they will indeed drop something in those areas that's not listed on the permit sites at this point.

For what it's worth, I was in the neighborhood last week and the T-Mobile "office" in Missoula had a couple of WA trucks parked out front, a very low-key, unidentifiable building, and the tower right next door showed no signs of work being done.

Get rolling on it, John!
    Well, they've promised EOY. I'll be in MT in early Nov. I was hoping it'd be lit up by then, but I'm really doubting it, LOL.

They basically have to put in more coverage to even accomplish their goals - not covering the city of Helena (given the terrain, the towers you show would not possibly cover Helena itself) and not covering the University of Montana (again, the towers shown would have weak signal even outdoors at the U of M)? That just can't be right...

However, the U of M is covered in rooftop sites, as are downtown Missoula and Helena... is it possible they'd be able to put antennas up there without the permits? That wouldn't explain the lack of downtown Kalispell tho...

Device(s)
    Moto X 2015
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

There are many instances accros the country where T-Movile has placed sites out in the country miles from the cities and towns they serve while putting no sites IN those towns. There are several instances of this in the Texas panhandle and over into Oklahoma in this part of the country. Service in the middle of a pasture with no houses at all can sometimes be perfect while 6 miles away in any direction in a town, you struggle to get an adequate signal.

Some of this might be due to nimbys, while in other instances maybe they are trying to split the difference between cities and towns to lower the cost of providing service. It could be either/or, or some other reason. I have no clue why it is up there in Montana.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I started this thread. If you look at the link I posted, it's for a co-location at a tower in the city itself (Deaborn between S Reserve and S Clark). The map link posted above by another poster was based on T-Mobile's microwave transmission permits with the FCC. Such a search likely won't turn up towers that have proper backhaul (CenturyLink, etc.) and that don't use microwave. What's interesting is that if you search Cortana off of the address on the permit page, the first link I got was an actual picture of the property on Zillow with and you can see the tower behind it.

TL;DR: T-Mobile is putting at least one tower in the City of Missoula. Let's dial back on the hand-wringing and second guessing and let them do the work.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FootyMax View Post
    What's interesting is that if you search Cortana off of the address on the permit page, the first link I got was an actual picture of the property on Zillow with and you can see the tower behind it.
    That would be the tower I checked out. Definitely nothing happening on it directly and, although it is technically in the city, they certainly are going to have to put something in over by the university on the other side of town/toward East Missoula.

Quote Originally Posted by FootyMax View Post
    Let's dial back on the hand-wringing and second guessing and let them do the work.
    Ha, ha! I don't see anyone here coming even close to doing that. Perhaps a building permit for that site to confirm T-Mobile is at least doing office work from there will amuse. The sink is in! Get on those towers, people Now would that define the former, latter, or both?

permit date
    Apr 28, 2015
    permit type
    Plumbing
    contractor
    E & S Plumbing & Heating Inc
    Score: 90
    View full profile
    T mobile t mobile / install kitchen sink
    Permit Type Plumbing Permit
    Status Issued
    Permit # 2015-MSS-PLM-00267
    Parcel # 04220032251150000
    Client Wohl Glen
    Permit Fee $45.00 paid to City of Missoula, Montana
    License name on building permit E AND S PLUMBING AND HEATING INC
    License type on building permit CONTRACTOR
    License number on building permit

Feedback Score
    I know exactly what tower that first one is lol. It isn't even remotely close to Missoula proper. It's a short tower miles out from the city. There isn't a clear path (in an RF sense) into the city or the university from there.

Device(s)
    StarTac 7860
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Anyone have any first-hand knowledge for T-mobile in the Big Sky area? Usually visit there in late January and it sure would be nice to have service at least at the lodges. Thx

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast