Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ported back to Cricket

Feedback Score

Ported back to Cricket

Well, it was a fun month but I've ported back to Cricket. Why?

* Cost. Cricket is $45 for 5GB of data. T-Mobile was $60 for 3GB of data.

* Coverage. Had only one bar of 4G at work. Had "no service" in several areas where the T-Mobile map said I would have coverage. And they need to improve their coverage in Disneyland still. Honestly, coverage has improved a lot (see my trip reports), but it still isn't nearly as good as AT&T / Cricket / GoPhone.

Note on coverage: I know band 12 would have helped, but I didn't want to pay $749 to upgrade my 64GB iPhone 6 to an iPhone 6S in two weeks (I bought my iPhone 6 at full retail price just 10 months ago).

* I don't care about Cricket's 8MB max LTE speed. That's more than enough to watch HD Video on Netflix, etc.

I do appreciate the help that everyone has given me on this forum in the past month, however!

Robert

Feedback Score
    Looks like a good move to me. You can not beet the price of cricket. Are you happy with cricket? How clear are your calls.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    All major providers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skierrob View Post
    Well, it was a fun month but I've ported back to Cricket. Why?

* Cost. Cricket is $45 for 5GB of data. T-Mobile was $60 for 3GB of data.

* Coverage. Had only one bar of 4G at work. Had "no service" in several areas where the T-Mobile map said I would have coverage. And they need to improve their coverage in Disneyland still. Honestly, coverage has improved a lot (see my trip reports), but it still isn't nearly as good as AT&T / Cricket / GoPhone.

Note on coverage: I know band 12 would have helped, but I didn't want to pay $749 to upgrade my 64GB iPhone 6 to an iPhone 6S in two weeks (I bought my iPhone 6 at full retail price just 10 months ago).

* I don't care about Cricket's 8MB max LTE speed. That's more than enough to watch HD Video on Netflix, etc.

I do appreciate the help that everyone has given me on this forum in the past month, however!

Robert
    I have never felt there is a single carrier that is "best" for everyone. Each user should find what works best for them. In the case of users who travel, cricket is generally a bad deal, especially if you spend time in the mid west. For those on a single line stuck in metro areas, prepaid carriers are often good.

Just one quick note. Band 12 in southern California easily makes T-Mobile a better coverage carrier than AT&T overall, and it wouldn't have cost you 750 dollars to get the new iphone, it would have cost you the price difference between what you have and the new iphone (around 300 dollars)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech guy4 View Post
    Looks like a good move to me. You can not beet the price of cricket. Are you happy with cricket? How clear are your calls.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It isn't VOLTE, but Cricket / AT&T seems to have good voice quality for their traditional voice network. And unlike Verizon and Sprint, I can use 4G / 3G data while on a phone call.

Feedback Score
    True on the device price difference. I normally only upgrade once every two to three phone cycles, though, and really didn't want to spend *anything* extra just to have band 12 at this point.

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Cricket is a great option and I think you made the right choice for your needs. 5gb just isn't enough for my needs. I use about 15gb each month. MetroPCS is my only real choice, I got on a promo for unlimited data for $50 a month.

I think for users looking for good prices on LIMITED data (up to 10gb) then Cricket is a good deal. If you use more than 10gb per month T-Mobile/MetroPCS is the way to go.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6, Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Loving MetroPCS so far. But I live in Vegas where T-Mobile is STRONG.
    Nexus 6 - 64 GB - Midnight Blue
    Nexus 4 - 16 GB - Black
    Nexus 9 - 32 GB - Black
    And my first: Samsung Galaxy Craptivate.

Device(s)
    Lg flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    I use consumer celluar and the price is great for two smart phones and when I am about to go over they shut the service off and I use wifi myself most of the time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by likeitmatters View Post
    I use consumer celluar and the price is great for two smart phones and when I am about to go over they shut the service off and I use wifi myself most of the time.
    Or for those who prefer to just get a warning at say 75%, you just go in and adjust your plan, and can do this as many times as you like before the end of the cycle. Very convenient very flexible, in fact I think it is unique in the industry.

Feedback Score
    Cricket is great unless you like to miss calls and MMS messages. Ported out after 9 months of headaches.

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    Cricket is great unless you like to miss calls and MMS messages. Ported out after 9 months of headaches.
    I've never had a dropped call or MMS and the voice quality is the best I've ever had. But, I'm in Vegas which is a good Tmo area.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellphone-guy View Post
    I've never had a dropped call or MMS and the voice quality is the best I've ever had. But, I'm in Vegas which is a good Tmo area.
    Man what is it with you Vegas people and T-Mobile? You, jet, ChrisMcG. I might be the only one with T-Mobile where I live. I feel like I am alone in the abyss here having to carry the torch in front of me.

Now if the world was right I'd be a mod on a Sprint site with the ability to subscribe to Sprint. I'm not the only one with that problem, though.
    Have you read the forum rules lately?

Feedback Score
    I'm not sure that comparing post-paid (T-Mobile) and pre-paid (Cricket) is apples to apples, but if it works for you then more power to you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellphone-guy View Post
    FYI, cricket runs on AT&T network. In fact, it is owned by at&t . Nothing to do with t mobile.

Device(s)
    Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I tried cricket in metro NY area, and ping times were horrendous at peak times. I just couldn't deal with it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast