Thread: Are You Ready for a 4K Smartphone Screen?

Carrier(s)
    Telus $75/15GB
    Feedback Score

Post Are You Ready for a 4K Smartphone Screen?

Name:  4k-ultra-hd.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  25.5 KB

And from Sony, no less?

It looks like the company's smartphone releases for this week's IFA show in Berlin have already been leaked. If sources are to be believed, the new Xperia Z5 will come in three variants:

1. The Z5 Compact, with a 4.6 inch 720p screen;
    2. The Z5, with a 5.2 inch 1080p screen;
    3. The Z5 Premium, with a 5.5 inch 3840 x 2160 pixel screen.

That's not quite 4,000 pixels wide, but it's certainly within spec of the Ultra HD consumer format.

Incredulous as this may seem, it's hard not to believe Olivier Terme, Sony Mobile's director of marketing, caught on-camera in a YouTube video that appeared briefly over the weekend before the inevitable DMCA takedown request. A screen cap has since been re-uploaded by someone else, so dust off that high school French and watch this one before it meets a similar fate!

Who's excited for a 4K smartphone screen?

Sources:

My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Lumia 635, Nokia 6350
    Carrier(s)
    Mint, Tello, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acurrie View Post
    Name:  4k-ultra-hd.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  25.5 KB

And from Sony, no less?

It looks like the company's smartphone releases for this week's IFA show in Berlin have already been leaked. If sources are to be believed, the new Xperia Z5 will come in three variants:

1. The Z5 Compact, with a 4.6 inch 720p screen;
    2. The Z5, with a 5.2 inch 1080p screen;
    3. The Z5 Premium, with a 5.5 inch 3840 x 2160 pixel screen.

That's not quite 4,000 pixels wide, but it's certainly within spec of the Ultra HD consumer format.

Incredulous as this may seem, it's hard not to believe Olivier Terme, Sony Mobile's director of marketing, caught on-camera in a YouTube video that appeared briefly over the weekend before the inevitable DMCA takedown request. A screen cap has since been re-uploaded by someone else, so dust off that high school French and watch this one before it meets a similar fate!

Who's excited for a 4K smartphone screen?

Sources:

Too late -- the video is no longer available.

Carrier(s)
    Telus $75/15GB
    Feedback Score
    Nurts. I should have screen capped the screen cap!

EDIT: There's also this tweet from Evan Blass...

Device(s)
    LG G6 followed by a Samsung S7 Edge as a backup.
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This is absolutely rediculous.....way too much, will not be easy to distinguish from a 1080p screen, and is a waste of battery power. OVERKILL. They should all go back to 1080p and increase battery life again.....

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1 / Apple iPhone X
    Feedback Score
    I used to be of dragonknight's opinion, then it occurred to me that if the top end phones keep pushing the resolution boundary, the middle and entry tiers will benefit from their hand-me downs. Soon 720p could become the standard on entry-level handsets, 1080p on the midrange, and "too high" the flagship class. Then I can get a more than adequate screen for cheap cheap cheap.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turbogeek View Post
    I used to be of dragonknight's opinion, then it occurred to me that if the top end phones keep pushing the resolution boundary, the middle and entry tiers will benefit from their hand-me downs. Soon 720p could become the standard on entry-level handsets, 1080p on the midrange, and "too high" the flagship class. Then I can get a more than adequate screen for cheap cheap cheap.
    Well then, it's already happening
    Especially in China...most all phones under $120.00 are 720p, just about all phones over $150.00 are 1080p. Just a matter of time before they get quad hd display tech under $200.00. Still doesn't help the battery life one tiny bit...........
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.....

Device(s)
    Galaxy S II, N900
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon2knight View Post
    Well then, it's already happening
    Especially in China...most all phones under $120.00 are 720p, just about all phones over $150.00 are 1080p. Just a matter of time before they get quad hd display tech under $200.00. Still doesn't help the battery life one tiny bit...........
    Fortunately, people will complain about the battery life, and technology will come to the rescue. The same was said about 1080p when they first arrived, causing batteries to be reassessed in smartphones. Now, the batteries have had a chance to catch up, a new screen can help push innovations in battery technologies even further. Once 4k screens reach the "acceptable" level of battery life, the "new" mid-range devices with 1080p screens will have a common battery life of several days utilizing the new technologies created because of 4k screens.

Innovation is always good, even if it is a cluster f** when first released.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by uncreative View Post
    Fortunately, people will complain about the battery life, and technology will come to the rescue. The same was said about 1080p when they first arrived, causing batteries to be reassessed in smartphones. Now, the batteries have had a chance to catch up, a new screen can help push innovations in battery technologies even further. Once 4k screens reach the "acceptable" level of battery life, the "new" mid-range devices with 1080p screens will have a common battery life of several days utilizing the new technologies created because of 4k screens.

Innovation is always good, even if it is a cluster f** when first released.
    Hmmmm, good idea...in theory. Unfortunately we've been complaining about battery life since the dawn of smartphone history, and we still only get a bone or two thrown our way yearly that show any real progress(usually by just stuffing a huge battery in it, no innovation here). Battery tech hasn't changed much at all in the last decade or so, no matter what screen resolution comes along. OS's actually have been the real main improvement in longevity, and even though it's getting better daily, new, "advanced",screen tech is killing all the advances. Battery life is still the same, period. Only a real leap in battery tech, that's mass marketable, is going to help here, and that's a long ways off.

4K screens are so not needed on a tiny screen, not at all. Quad HD also is unnecessary, and a normal human being, if placed in a side by side test, doesn't see any real difference. Just look at Apple's Retina display to see proof of that. A good quality 1080p screen is just as good as a Quad HD display, fact. As I said, it's wasting otherwise good battery life on something totally useless.

Feedback Score
    Would be nice if they made it easier to hook up to a large screen when you want to get some real computing done, or for home theater applications. In which case may be the GPU needs to be high res, but certainly the phone screen itself does not benefit from that.