Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Renting UDP line out

Device(s)
    droid X
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Renting UDP line out

Have a few lines that I'm not useing, so I was thinking of renting them out. My main concern is what happens if the renter downloads some stuff that he shouldn't, send threatening emails or whatever, can that get tracked back to me since I would be the account owner?

Feedback Score
    Yes but in that case you would only be in violation of the laws or terms governing your ability to rent and use of the lines. Just make darn sure you can prove that you're not using the lines, for example renting them to someone in another part of the country.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Renting out your mobile phone lines might be a violation of the Terms and Conditions of Service. Be careful in doing this and understand your legal responsibilities fully.

I am not a lawyer and don't play one on television. Just saying.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Terms of Service aside, when one transfers an account they perform an assumption of liability. Until that is done, as far as VZW is concerned you are liable for all use of the account. I don't think VZW snoops on your traffic, it'd be akward at best if something illegal activity came back on you. But I'd be more concerned about someone using it in Canada or Mexico, because you'd be liable for the bill.

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Is it different if you use hotspot on your phone and another person uses that connection to do something illegal?

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    If anyone is using a connection in your name for something illegal, it's pretty much on you unless you can prove it wasn't you. It doesn't matter if they're using a line you've rented out to them, mobile hotspot, or even your home Wi-Fi or wired Internet. This is why you hear about people with open Wi-Fi getting letters all the time for piracy.

If I had spare unlimited lines, I might let a trusted close friend or family member use one but beyond that hell no. You'd have to be nuts to let a random person rent a connection from you.

In fact, I can almost guarantee that anyone interested in "renting" a connection would be far more interested in the fact that their name isn't attached to it rather than the unlimited data part.

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone X 256 GB Space Grey
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    If anyone is using a connection in your name for something illegal, it's pretty much on you unless you can prove it wasn't you. It doesn't matter if they're using a line you've rented out to them, mobile hotspot, or even your home Wi-Fi or wired Internet. This is why you hear about people with open Wi-Fi getting letters all the time for piracy.

If I had spare unlimited lines, I might let a trusted close friend or family member use one but beyond that hell no. You'd have to be nuts to let a random person rent a connection from you.

In fact, I can almost guarantee that anyone interested in "renting" a connection would be far more interested in the fact that their name isn't attached to it rather than the unlimited data part.

via the HoFo App
    100% agree!

Sent from my iPhone
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Feedback Score

via the HoFo App
    And I 100% disagree!

http://m.slashdot.org/story/203679

Feedback Score

via the HoFo App
    And I 50% agree and 50% disagree.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    What part do you disagree with?

I'm not saying that it's a good thing that law enforcement agencies and the legal system equate an IP address with the account owner, in fact is goes against the very grain of "innocent until proven guilty" that our system of justice is based upon.

However, the fact of the matter remains that if your internet connection is used for illegal activities (not just simple piracy, which would be the least of your concerns, but black-hat hacking, threats of violence, financial crime, child abuse), the person whose name is on the account is the person going to jail. You may beat the rap, but you won't beat the ride.

Would you want to advocate to someone on a public forum to rent out their connection and risk them ending up being inadvertently called a malicious hacker or worse? That kind of **** ruins lives whether convicted or not. Argue that it's a screwed up system, and I'll agree with you.

But to advocate for people to engage in the kind of activities that could unwittingly put them at risk for losing their jobs, families, or freedom to make a few bucks on an unused unlimited data plan? That is reckless.

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    No, providing the communications facilities completely unwittingly does not make you an accessory to the illegal activities the renter is engaging in.

I could stand on a street corner and hand out hundreds of SIM cards with my account name on them and even if every single person using them was a terrorist and a pedophile, there is no way I would end up getting into trouble for their activities.

Sure I might be harassed by the authorities it would be a pain, but arrested and serving time? That's insane. Of course I am NOT a lawyer so take my advice could be reckless.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hans61ct View Post
    No, providing the communications facilities completely unwittingly does not make you an accessory to the illegal activities the renter is engaging in.

I could stand on a street corner and hand out hundreds of SIM cards with my account name on them and even if every single person using them was a terrorist and a pedophile, there is no way I would end up getting into trouble for their activities.

Sure I might be harassed by the authorities it would be a pain, but arrested and serving time? That's insane. Of course I am NOT a lawyer so take my advice could be reckless.
    This.

If someone rents a car and then robs a bank, is the rental car company held criminally responsible for the bank robbery? If I rent a house to someone and they murder someone in it, am I charged with murder? Exactly.

I also disagree that the only people who might be interested in renting an unlimited data line would be someone with illegal intent. That's absurd. I rent an unlimited line from Verizon and I have no criminal ambitions. But, if I did, I doubt that Verizon would be held liable.

Feedback Score
    But you can be sure by doing something sketchy like that, if things do go south, they'd find a way to throw the book at you for that. The legal system in the US is so complex, it is absolutely guaranteed that every one of us is a criminal all day long. And most law enforcement and prosecutors are not interested in any idealistic view of justice, often they are the source of the greatest injustices in daily life in Amerika.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hans61ct View Post

Whatever you say. Why don't you give it a shot and see what happens.

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtvaquero View Post
    This.

If someone rents a car and then robs a bank, is the rental car company held criminally responsible for the bank robbery? If I rent a house to someone and they murder someone in it, am I charged with murder? Exactly.

I also disagree that the only people who might be interested in renting an unlimited data line would be someone with illegal intent. That's absurd. I rent an unlimited line from Verizon and I have no criminal ambitions. But, if I did, I doubt that Verizon would be held liable.
    In all of those cases you would have a legal rental/lease agreement that sets it all in place, while in this case it doesn't really seem like there would be one like that, which would certainly at the very least make things somewhat more complex and less straightforward as in those examples.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast