Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Activating Palm treo on prepaid with telus?

Device(s)
    Nokia N95
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score

Thumbs down Activating Palm treo on prepaid with telus?

there's something that pisses me off something fierce. In the past I tried to activate a windows mobile phone with clean ESN on prepaid (I don't have a good credit and even if I have my own phone and am ready to pay the first month, they won't get me a monthly plan) and I found out that you can't activate wm phones on prepaid with telus, for some stupid incomprehensible reason.

I just got a palm treo 755p which has made me happy because I love palm os and I figured that'd be a great thing to activate, but again it won't let me activate the smartphone on prepaid.

What the hell guys? I want to give you my money but you just push me away. Make up your mind!

Carrier(s)
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I didn't think they'd let you activate a CDMA device anyway regardless of pre or post-paid.

Device(s)
    Nokia N95
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    If so then there wouldn't be an option to do so in their activation page

Feedback Score
    Smartphone were never allowed on Telus CDMA Prepaid

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Even if you get it activated I don't think you'll be very happy with the results. According to the schedule, on July 1 Bell started shutting down EVDO and Telus started shutting down all their CDMA towers completely. Wherever you do get coverage it'll be 1xRTT only and you'll have coverage gaps.

Feedback Score
    ^+1

Buy an unlocked android smartphone from staples, use it with Telus HSPA prepaid.

Feedback Score
    It's Telus what do you expect.

Its the same company the crippled camera phones when they first came out requiring the user to pay a 25~50c per picture / mms fee to get the pictures off of their own phone. New ringtones could only be added through them for an additional charge.

Not my kind of company.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Wind on HMP2010
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @Class View Post
    It's Telus what do you expect.

Its the same company the crippled camera phones when they first came out requiring the user to pay a 25~50c per picture / mms fee to get the pictures off of their own phone. New ringtones could only be added through them for an additional charge.

Not my kind of company.
    Bell did the same thing when I was with them, charging for photo transfer. I think with the right software on a computer and the right cable you could copy them but there was no assistance from any carrier to do this. Some software said it would work and then not, but you already spent the money, and the cable was always blamed.

Never bothered with adding ring tones.

Via HoFo App on an iPhone 5S
    -----
    Your choices are yours and I do not criticize you for them.
    My choices are mine, please do not criticize me for my choices.
    -----
    Any comments I make are made to further any conversation that is happening and should not be taken as an attack or belittlement of anyone, unless I specifically say so.
    -----
    I dislike all politicians and lawyers equally.

Carrier(s)
    Chat-r; PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This is during the time when they can milk just about any little features, since most people don't know how to do it for free, as it can be convoluted or required some hacking. And holding the photo locked in inside the phone is the most offensive scheme.
    No longer on a leash by Fido

Device(s)
    iPhone8
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Freedom, Public
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cmstlist View Post
    Even if you get it activated I don't think you'll be very happy with the results. According to the schedule, on July 1 Bell started shutting down EVDO and Telus started shutting down all their CDMA towers completely. Wherever you do get coverage it'll be 1xRTT only and you'll have coverage gaps.
    Many people are happy with Wind coverage holes and all
    Why not Telus?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
    Why not Telus?
    Price point isn't in the same ballpark even. If wind was charging what he others had with this network there would be a whole lot more even less happy people.

via the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Why not Telus?
    I guarantee you that activating an old smartphone on 1xRTT service after a full EVDO shutdown will be considerably more painful than running a modern smartphone on WIND.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Wind on HMP2010
    Feedback Score
    Why not Telus?
    You are talking about Winds network that is growing, filling holes as they can, versus a CDMA network that is being decommissioned over time creating bigger holes and a smaller network as those towers either convert to current network technology or are removed completely.

If your Palm Treo is a GSM phone, it likely won't work on the Bellus network as its minimum technology is HSPA, which I don't think the Treo ever supported. A GSM Treo would likely only work on Rogers 2G network. No idea how big that network is, but reports say it is not large, but maybe it's just not being reported to show how large it actually is.

Other option would be using it on Verizon, possibly Sprint in the U.S. I don't know the Treo and I'm not interested in looking, so if the tech is greater than I'm thinking above, good luck on making it work.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z10, LG G2, Nokia N9, LG Optimus V
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABWagner View Post
    If your Palm Treo is a GSM phone, it likely won't work on the Bellus network as its minimum technology is HSPA, which I don't think the Treo ever supported. A GSM Treo would likely only work on Rogers 2G network. No idea how big that network is, but reports say it is not large, but maybe it's just not being reported to show how large it actually is.
    Here is Rogers map. Scroll down and uncheck everything except 2G. Note that Rogers has the worst coverage map of the Big 3 and vastly overstates their coverage.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Wind on HMP2010
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. J View Post
    Here is Rogers map. Scroll down and uncheck everything except 2G. Note that Rogers has the worst coverage map of the Big 3 and vastly overstates their coverage.
    The last time I used Rogers, it was on an analog phone in the 90's. Yes, I have a long memory of them and I don't really see a change in their attitude or practices so I have no intention or desire to go back to them.

Having said that, I can understand the investment required to create a cellular network and company and how upgrading it for 30 years can be expensive. It can be difficult to remove or update old services without affecting some customers.

I've read where there are businesses who use 2G services as key business components as they are inexpensive and the technology has been around long enough that any problems are generally known and can be worked around. This makes Rogers their only option.

When Rogers sets up new towers, do they include 2G technology or is it only the latest and greatest? Just curious.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast