Thread: Going to France

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Going to France

Hi we are going to France next week for 3 weeks. Spending most of the time in Marsielle with family. We have 3 iPhones and 1 Android that are all unlocked.

We want to be able to communicate within France with each other and also make some calls back to the U.S.

Not sure what type of voice/data plan we would need. What's the best carrier in France?

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    iPhone X/8+, Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T & Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Going to France

Check out Lebara.fr

(There is an option to put site in English if you are in your mobile.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I used bouygues telecom when I studied abroad. That was also 2005 so I know a lot has changed. I still think BT has the best coverage of all three carriers in Paris...outside of Paris I think Orange (France Telecom) is the best. I've never been impressed with SFR (Vodafone) on any of my trips. Mush's advice is sound but I am not sure what stores sell that sim card. Virgin may also have decent deals now. It wasn't the easiest to get SIM cards back in 05 (I had to use my address, etc), but I hope that has changed. Last time I went we just used at&t and paid for roaming as we weren't there too long. Enjoy!
    AT&T: 2003 (gophone) & 2008-2009 & 2013-Present
    Cingular: 2003-2006
    Sprint: 2006-2007 & 2009-2011
    Verizon Wireless: 2001-2003 & 2011-2013

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    If I were in one country for three weeks, I'd certainly get local prepaid SIMs. For information about prepaid SIMs check out www.prepaidgsm.net. In general, when you are abroad it's a good idea to have an appropriate backup plan. What's "appropriate" depends on your individual communications needs.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Orange prepaid sims work well. But buy it once you get there. Those being sold here through Amazon are a ripoff. Also add a few bucks to a Skype phone account and use Skype phone to make any calls back to the states for cheap using Wi-Fi if possible...

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA, Vodafone ES
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Free Mobile offers prepaid SIM cards out of vending machines at their stores (and many others). They have a 20 EURO (for a month) prepaid package which allows for virtually unlimited data, unlimited calls within France and countless destinations (including the U.S.) and also includes some free data roaming across Europe. That's probably the best deal on the market in France.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    T-mobile!

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Going to France

Quote Originally Posted by Andy84094 View Post
    Free Mobile offers prepaid SIM cards out of vending machines at their stores (and many others). They have a 20 EURO (for a month) prepaid package which allows for virtually unlimited data, unlimited calls within France and countless destinations (including the U.S.) and also includes some free data roaming across Europe. That's probably the best deal on the market in France.
    That looks like a pretty good deal. I Ike the 20GB package with unlimited voice and text for a month. Even though we will be there for 3 weeks the monthly price per phone is pretty good.

The kicker is I'm not sure if it's prepaid or not and not sure what type of payment they take. Some conflicting info about needing to have a French bank account. If you need one my wife's family has accounts of course. Also if you need one we will be landing in Paris then taking train to Marsielle. We will need to get SIM's when we are in Paris so we can communicate with family in Marsielle.

Anymore input?

via the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    ATT Nation Family Talk 1400
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Grab a google voice number before you leave. Using the google hangouts app, you can place free calls back to the US and Canada from abroad for free. I still like it better than skype since you dont need to add $. Also because it integrates well with the rest of the google stuff I use/Android/etc.

via the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It's pretty painless to obtain a prepaid SIM in France. My family usually uses Orange service there when travelling between Paris & Provence.Similar to the US, they also want your cold hard cash (Euros)

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by damba98 View Post
    Grab a google voice number before you leave. Using the google hangouts app, you can place free calls back to the US and Canada from abroad for free. I still like it better than skype since you dont need to add $. Also because it integrates well with the rest of the google stuff I use/Android/etc.

via the HoFo App
    We all have Google voice #'s and have the hangouts app on our devices. We would need data to call if there's no WiFi available.

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by marc50267 View Post
    We all have Google voice #'s and have the hangouts app on our devices. We would need data to call if there's no WiFi available.
    In general, VoIP solutions, such as Google Voice, are alternate/backup calling methods for when you have unmetered Internet connectivity (e.g. WiFi). It's probably not cost effective if you are paying by the MB.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Cool. Yes, you could obtain that data via Orange too. Sure, it's a bit expensive but in reality you are talking about a 3 week expense vs a years worth of mandatory data costs for you family.

Unless you are really off the grid, finding wifi in France (especially major cities) is also pretty easy.

Quote Originally Posted by marc50267 View Post

via the HoFo App