Thread: Verizon Bait & Switch

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Verizon Bait & Switch

I have been a customer of Verizon's for years. I thought of switching to AT&T last year, but Verizon offered me $20 off per month to stay, so I decided to stay. At no point did they disclose to me that this was a temporary offer. Now I receive my statement this month and it is $20 more. They claim that my savings was a promotional offer that has now expired. At no point in time did they ever make me aware of this. They are unwilling to honor the agreement that they made in order to retain me and now I am in contract with them for another year. Stay away from Verizon and their shaded, unethical practices.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Slow down Ralph Nader...

You took a retention/promo deal and didn't expect there to be fine print?

...how long have you been on this forum?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Actually that's fair enough, any vendor failing to disclose substantive terms of the deal, relying on the customer actually researching "the fine print" is indeed scamming.

Just because this industry is 95% scammers doesn't make it ok, nor is blaming the victim appropriate.

And since when is calling someone Ralph Nader a pejorative?

If only there were more heroes like out there today protecting the public interest, since we can rely even less on our elected representatives to do so than back in his day.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    Actually that's fair enough, any vendor failing to disclose substantive terms of the deal, relying on the customer actually researching "the fine print" is indeed scamming.

Just because this industry is 95% scammers doesn't make it ok, nor is blaming the victim appropriate.

And since when is calling someone Ralph Nader a pejorative?

If only there were more heroes like out there today protecting the public interest, since we can rely even less on our elected representatives to do so than back in his day.
    I guess your right

I deal with particularly Verizon fairly often, so maybe I've become conditioned to this ******** as SOP.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks. So the takeaway seems to be:

Beware VZW customers - if you get a great deal from Retentions to incent you to stay on contract (IMO not worth doing at any price!) make sure to confirm in writing that the deal lasts all the way through the end of contract date.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by iwantmymoney View Post
    I have been a customer of Verizon's for years. I thought of switching to AT&T last year, but Verizon offered me $20 off per month to stay,
    What plan are you on?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    They claim that my savings was a promotional offer that has now expired.
    Unless they change your PLAN, all discounts except employer discounts have an expiration date. Plans don't have an expiration date, although in theory they could be changed at any time even if you are on contract - they just have to let you out of the contract without an ETF if they do that. However, Verizon has only discontinued 1 plan ever AFAIK - the unlimited international plan. Employer discounts don't have an expiration date but they are negotiated by the employer and Verizon and so those can change at any time too.

Bottom line is this - if they didn't change your plan, any discount they give you to keep you as a customer always has an expiration date. Some discounts, like the $20 Talk & Text discount, have extremely far away expiration dates - 2038 I believe, but that is atypical.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    now I am in contract with them for another year.
    When they offered you the $20/mo discount, was it contingent on you renewing your contract?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Verizon Bait & Switch

Quote Originally Posted by mikeluscher159 View Post
    I guess your right

I deal with particularly Verizon fairly often, so maybe I've become conditioned to this ******** as SOP.
    And this is why I do not like Verizon and made me switch from Verizon to T-Mobile to att :/

Did me the same a year or so ago, little over a year. Lied to me
    Usually wouldn't post this on a Verizon forum but it *is* a rant / rave thread

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I have been a customer of Verizon's for years. I thought of switching to AT&T last year, but Verizon offered me $20 off per month to stay, so I decided to stay. At no point did they disclose to me that this was a temporary offer. Now I receive my statement this month and it is $20 more. They claim that my savings was a promotional offer that has now expired. At no point in time did they ever make me aware of this. They are unwilling to honor the agreement that they made in order to retain me and now I am in contract with them for another year. Stay away from Verizon and their shaded, unethical practices.
    You can still get out of your contract and switch using cellbreaker. (Cellbreaker.com). They got me out of my Sprint contract and I switched to T-mobile without paying termination fees or whatever. Maybe worth checking out, hope that helps.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    So, how does that work?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    So, how does that work?
    Like this:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...r-Review-Avoid!

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by jjcampbell View Post
    You can still get out of your contract and switch using cellbreaker. (Cellbreaker.com). They got me out of my Sprint contract and I switched to T-mobile without paying termination fees or whatever. Maybe worth checking out, hope that helps.
    First, anyone can get out of a Sprint contract by forcing data roaming on other carriers networks so you didn't need cellbreaker to do anything for you if you are on Sprint. Sprint will kick you off of their network for doing that.

Second, TMobile would have paid your ETF.

From another thread cellbreaker sounds very shady. AVOID!!!!