View Poll Results: Which company will Canada (or you) miss the most?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Target

4 36.36%
  • Mobilicity

7 63.64%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which company will Canada miss the most: Target or Mobilicity?

Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score

Which company will Canada miss the most: Target or Mobilicity?

I am comparing the two because despite representing different industries, both companies have a lot in common, such as:
    • Bankruptcy ($2.1B debt for Target; ~$0.6B debt for Mobilicity)
    • Launch hype ("Expect More, Pay Less" for Target; "Mobile Simplicity" for Mobilicity)
    • Mascots (Bullseye for Target; Alexis and Otis for Mobilicity)
    • Mobile stores (Glentel for Target Mobile; third-party dealers and very few corporate stores for Mobilicity)
    • Over 100 stores spread across multiple provinces
    • Price cuts (pre-2015 clearances and 2015 liquidation for Target, "50% off", "Double Alexis" and more for Mobilicity)
    • Unable to withstand competitive retailers' aggressive pricing

I find it interesting that Mobilicity was given 22 months (~two years) of creditor protection, whereas Target Canada only kept business as usual for one month after its bankruptcy announcement. All of this portrays Canada as having little competition. I understand that both Target and Mobilicity made many business decisions that are their fault, but I also believe that the Canadian government could have taken extra steps to encourage competition, like providing temporary breaks for new companies (like Target Canada and its related brands during their first five years or so) and allowing new carriers to get Big 3 roaming (5˘/MB, not the initial ~$5/MB) and tower sharing at lower prices.

With all that in mind, I challenge Canada's Howard Forums members to choose which of the two companies they will miss the most. If there was a dilemma where one company could be saved by the elimination of the other, should Target flourish or should Mobilicity take the cake? Please consider voting and sharing your memories from both stores!

Note: This is the "Double Alexis" promotion offered in the past:
    LABcrab
    Free TV! youtu.be/CnbicDLObNQ Also, helping out with TV Rogers shows!
    WIND: $10 Clever / $10 Surf A Little (switched) / $25 Province
    WINDows apps (for any carrier): BarlowGirlBrittany HargestZOEgirlsee more…
    SpeedTest: 19915748 (Wind) and 15864082 (Fido)!

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1, Pixel XL, Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Nexus S
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo & Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    Why do I have to choose between BS, and horse s**t? It's all just crap in the end...

JMO.
    Un-Rogered, and getting better 'value'.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Wind on HMP2010
    Feedback Score
    I chose Wind simply because they came to Edmonton before Mobilicity. Once selected I haven't left. So I have no experience on this, other than I got the HMP because Mobi got price competitive and Wind matched.

My sister was complaining to me about her expensive Bell phone at the time and I said there were two new carriers available, Wind which I was on and a new entrant called Mobilicity. She chose Mobi but after a while Mobi stopped expanding their network and she couldn't get coverage outside of Edmonton where I could on Wind. She switched a while after that. Can't remember if it was just before or just after Mobi got court protection.

I was only in a few Target stores and they simply seemed to be cleaned up Zellers stores, which they were. Never been in a U.S. Target but I still keep hearing how wonderful they are. Pricing was not much different than any other store so big whoop.

Perhaps if they had started with a few stores first and gotten that right before bursting full blown across the country, it might have been different. Walmart came into Canada at a different time where there were few discount stores and took over Woolco, upgrading decrepit stores into something better than was there before and with better pricing.

I think Target came with too many expectations that couldn't be met. While some liked Target, most of Canada shrugged and shopped elsewhere.

Since I didn't use Target much and since I got a better cell plan, I guess I'll miss Mobi more.

via the HoFo App
    -----
    Your choices are yours and I do not criticize you for them.
    My choices are mine, please do not criticize me for my choices.
    -----
    Any comments I make are made to further any conversation that is happening and should not be taken as an attack or belittlement of anyone, unless I specifically say so.
    -----
    I dislike all politicians and lawyers equally.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    How is this thread related to mobilicity? Labcrab, I smell another post from you in your tirade against mobi. What do you gain by making such posts?

Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xtachx View Post
    How is this thread related to mobilicity? Labcrab, I smell another post from you in your tirade against mobi. What do you gain by making such posts?
    I have ended my "tirade against mobi" long ago. I have my own personal experience with both companies, with good and bad aspects, but my consensus regarding both is that I'll miss both of them individually. Using the same standard, you might conclude that I had a "tirade" against Public Mobile, but I miss them as well. Life does go on, it's just too bad that competitive retailers are disappearing in Canada. I am writing this poll merely to find out what members thought about both companies and to hear their favourite memories from each of them.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Target no. MOBILITY yes.
    MCCANS

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LABcrab View Post
    I am comparing the two because ........
    Labcrab:
    You should have a third choice in your poll: "Neither" or "Who cares?"

I have never used Mobi (not in its service area) , and I have been inside a Target Canada store exactly twice while it was here (no comparison to Target USA, where I shopped quite frequently when I spent winters in the sunny South).

Therefore, my answer would be "Neither"
    So: There ya go . . . .
    John <><

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Priv and Z30
    Feedback Score
    The first time I visited Target during their sojourn in Canada was after they'd already announced the shutdown and were clearing out the stores.

Still didn't see anything I wanted.

On the other hand, I've been with Mobilicity for almost five years, so I'll definitely miss them.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key2
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I won't miss either to be honest. Mobilicity was poorly managed and have nobody to blame but themselves for the position they find themselves in. I won't miss the company, per se, but I'll miss the idea.

I lived in the States for a few years and Target was just around the corner from me so I shopped there often. I visited a Target near to me not long after the chain opened in Canada and was very disappointed. I wasn't expecting a carbon copy of the US pricing but theirs was way higher than anyone expected. The selection was very poor and the store layout felt more like Walmart than Target.

Needless to say, I won't miss either company much. But if Mobilicity had pulled their stuff together they stood a chance to be a decent regional player.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z30, Blackberry Q10, Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mobi and Public will both be missed as they had some genuine unique offerings
    Wind has always been a joke

At least my plans are grandfathered
    It is sad I need to state the obvious but some people just don't get it. Any posts I make are my own OPINIONS and in no way represent the views of my employer

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z30, Blackberry Q10, Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mann Incognito View Post
    I visited a Target near to me not long after the chain opened in Canada and was very disappointed. I wasn't expecting a carbon copy of the US pricing but theirs was way higher than anyone expected. The selection was very poor and the store layout felt more like Walmart than Target.
    It's funny people who comment on pricing at Target since they were nearly identical to Walmart in both appearance and prices
    They also price matched the odd item that was not cheaper

The biggest issue with Target was piss poor product selection (seems like a Walmart/Zeller cross to be honest) and supply chain problems

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Wind on HMP2010
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kav2001c View Post
    Mobi and Public will both be missed as they had some genuine unique offerings
    Wind has always been a joke

At least my plans are grandfathered
    I guess the joke is on Mobi and Public as Wind has survived longer. Who knows how long Wind can maintain its independence. I hope for a good long time, but I'm a Wind subscriber, so I guess I'm prejudiced about my opinion.

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABWagner View Post
    I guess I'm prejudiced about my opinion.
    Well, if you've been reading kav2001c's posts, you know that he/she is not prejudiced at all
    He/she is the posterchild of objectivity . . .

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Wind on HMP2010
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by underrated View Post
    Well, if you've been reading kav2001c's posts, you know that he/she is not prejudiced at all
    He/she is the posterchild of objectivity . . .
    I only joined a few weeks ago, so I haven't gone through the past years messages. Doesn't affect me with ancient history that includes comparing Wind to Mobilicity as Wind won and Mobi as it existed is soon gone.

Plans for the big three that no longer exist also don't interest me, nor those bragging they've got them or people whining that they lost them for whatever reason. From past experience, I will likely never return to Rogers, Bell was way better and Telus was better than Bell for me.

Videotron and Eastlink are only slightly interesting as they are the other surviving new entrants and use the same tech as Wind, plus they each have additional bandwidth across the country, Videotron more so than Eastlink. These two together with Sasktel and MTS also form the fourth network option versus the big three.

I am a computer geek from long ago and I've been through the Apple-Atari-Commodore-CP/M battles that became the Apple-IBM battles that became the Apple-Microsoft-Linux battles that has evolved into the Apple-Google battle of recent years.

The only thing constant in all these past battles is Apple. Will it be in the future? Dunno, but it should last a couple years more at least.

Too many P'ing matches about whose equipment/service is better. I'll choose what works for me, you choose what works for you. If you are happy, keep your equipment/service, if not change to something else, and I'll do the same.

via the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Although both Target and Mobilicity failed due to an inability to compete successfully, they are almost exactly the opposite beyond that. Mobilicity failed because it couldn't expand aggressively enough to be considered a viable option for most, despite being much cheaper in a somewhat overpriced market. Target failed because it expanded too quickly and wasn't able to differentiate itself enough in an already price competitive market.

Between the two, I'd say I'd miss Target more. Their entry into Canada caused the existing retailers to streamline their services, expand their online presences and generally forced other companies to compete. Mobilicity was never a big enough player to do any of that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast