Thread: High ping times/latency with new T-Mo service

Feedback Score

High ping times/latency with new T-Mo service

Hi everyone. I'm a longtime Verizon subscriber who wanted to try out T-Mobile in my home city of New Orleans, and while traveling over the summer. So I picked up a Lumia 640, signed up for a Simple Choice plan, and have spent the last week testing out in travels over several southern states.

Speeds have generally been excellent when LTE coverage is solid, but nearly all of my pings have been in the 130-180ms range. I've never dipped below 125ms, right alongside my Verizon HTC M7 which consistently (via Speedtest) reports pings in the range of 30-40ms. Any thoughts about what's going on? I've been doing side by side comparisons from Louisiana to Mississippi, Alabama to Georgia to North Carolina, big cities (Atlanta), interstates, etc. Is this device-influenced? Settings? I guess I could run some quick tests in a T-Mobile store, but wanted to get some input here, especially after seeing much lower ping times on people's Speedtest screenshots.

I'm very impressed with the 640, BTW. Remarkable phone for under $100 at Wal-Mart.

Thanks so much, and best from steamy NOLA...A.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you're seeing that everywhere, I'd blame the Windows Phone edition Speedtest.net app; it hasn't been updated since early 2013. It's been over a year since I've used Windows Phone, but that app also gave me higher than usual pings back then, even on home WiFi.
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It's definitely the app, or maybe even the way the OS works. Regardless of which speedtest app I use, pings are always high.

I haven't tested this yet (as the SIM in my 640 isn't active), but turn on mobile hotspot and see what the pings are from a different device?

Feedback Score
    Hello, Are you still testing T-Mobile in NOLA? Have you by chance spent time on the Northshore in the Covington/Mandeville area?

Feedback Score
    I have this handset and it’s definitely the phone that is the issue.

Device(s)
    Moto X DevEd
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm in Florida and had a Verizon HTC Rezound while I was testing with my TMo trial and a Moto X Developer Edition that I switched to Tmo.

For me, the pings on TMo were "generally" lower, in the 30-60 range than VZW, but on occasion, when Vzw was faster, it was much faster witht he DL speeds. However, overall, the edge went to Tmo.

Now UL speeds are a different matter and are generally slower. But once I switched over a 2nd line, the Tmo speed on my Moto was slow as molasses. Now, after a week, they are great. got up to 60mbps the other day, and at work, where VZW would struggle to get a signal, Tmo is blowing it away.

Now at home, Vzw can pull a better signal in the area and I drop to HSPA+, but not too much of a difference.