Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Need Advice for new phone & service!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by srssrs View Post
    For data I am considering one of the Ebay $80 mifis (3G only - unlimited data) good for at least 60 days, then pay $5/mo. and see how long it lasts. If not working after 60 days - I still got my data for $40/mo. Have been in touch with the seller but he won't say he is 100% certain it will work on VZN extended networks. I won't do this if it won't roam and only works on native VZN towers.
    I personally think asking for roaming data of any sort from any MVNO is asking a lot, probably unreasonable if you're also looking for low pricing and VZW's network. Ability to hotspot as well is just over the top.

Maybe such a service exists, but you definitely should open a specific thread to attract more answers "Data roaming + hotspotting on VZW?"

I do eventually want to go with the Samsung S5 but don't absolutely need that for my next 60 days of travel in the rv.
    So keep things as simple as possible if you're asking for advice, one thing at a time, put too much in to one thread topic and it's just confusing, people just won't bother trying to help you figure things out.

Feedback Score
    OK - this may not mean much but I just talked to a VZN service rep regarding a regular mifi 2200. asked them if it would roam & use extended networks like my present dumb phone. after they did some research and I asked questions, they assured me a wifi 2200 device that was on VZN would roam & function exactly as my VZN dumb phone does now.

Any thoughts?
    Yes, this is when you're paying the premium money to be on the mothership directly.

That's the way for you to go if you find it affordable, as I said data-only plans are lots cheaper per GB.

It's asking for roaming and hotspotting from the sub MVNOs at even lower pricing that's going to be a lot more difficult.

Feedback Score
    yes zeen - that's my thoughts as well. i didn't think i was stealing or helping to steal anything. really thought i was paying for a piece of hardware that had 60 days of service through VZN. call me naive i guess. some might want to consider that i have been paying VZN for cell service that i have rarely been using. i never entered into this discussion with the thought of trying to get something for free - simply looking for a low cost option to my present plan that i no longer am seeing much benefit from.
    Those eBay deals are definitely in a grey area, VZW would probably say fraudulent, but not to say flat out illegal.

If the seller says you are on VZW's network through VZW directly, and VZW says that service will roam, then you're probably OK.

As you say $40 a month for unlimited data isn't bad just for the service, so if the hardware ends up having no value when you're done that's not so bad. Maybe by then you'll do the research and figure out how to flash whatever DIY!

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone AT&T
    Feedback Score
    i never entered into this discussion with the thought of trying to get something for free - simply looking for a low cost option to my present plan that i no longer am seeing much benefit from.
    While there may be legitimate ways to get free Sprint data, no one has an honest business of selling unlimited 3G Verizon data for $5 per month. Straight Talk probably has some of the lower Verizon data rates at this time, and their 4G LTE data is around $9 per GB or more. The ZTE Z288C seems to be in line with your requests, and if you find it doesn't meet your interests just return it.
    https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...g/1/page/1.cfm

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5