Thread: Which Phone For Me?

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Which Phone For Me?

Guys, I'm looking to potentially replace my Samsung Galaxy S4 when my contract runs out in July. However, I can't seem to find the "killer" phone I usually find each cycle. This time around the S6 is the big deal phone, but I'm underwhelmed. I despise battery issues and find batteries tend to last about a year before they get flaky. Not being able to replace the phone in the S6 is a major concern. Its small battery seems to also be the topic of many short battery life topics. Added memory is not that big a concern. Camera? Yeah, I'd like a great camera, but it's not essential. Display? I like my S4, but I'm not all that picky. Performance is a concern. I'd just like it snappy.

There's the LG G4, but reviews are in the "it's okay" realm. HTC has always scared the hell out of me with battery issues. I'd look at the Nexus 6 and the size might be okay as I'm now 51 and need reading glasses much of the time. Perhaps I should wait to see what their next phone will be in October (assuming they stick to past history for new releases)? Losing the bloat would be great. Rooting I tend to do as well as ROM replacement, but in nearly every case I've ended up back on stock by the end with root being all I stick with.

I'd jump all over the S6 Active, but Verizon seems to have zero interest in that regard.

What am I missing? Is this just a bad time to be phone shopping?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I was just checking out the Sony Z3v which seems to be under the radar in the Verizon lineup. Some decent specs but I'm still looking at reviews and if it can be rooted.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Agrajag View Post
    Not being able to replace the phone in the S6 is a major concern.
    If you want a flagship phone and a removable battery, get the LG G4. All of the major manufacturers have moved away from replaceable batteries except LG. That's your only option if you want both a removable battery and a top of the line flagship phone.

Feedback Score
    What am I missing? Is this just a bad time to be phone shopping?
    Apple and Motorola release their flagships in September. Samsung releases theirs in May and October. HTC releases theirs in April and LG releases theirs in June. The Droid line and Nexus comes out in the fall.

If you don't like any of the current choices, wait for the fall releases but if you want a removable battery, I doubt the Note5 will have one and none of the Apple or Motorola phones will either. I wouldn't be surprised if LG goes to a sealed case eventually.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I can live without a removable battery, but only if the built-in one isn't starting off poorly. The S6 seems to be at that point. That's why LOVED the idea of the Active.

Feedback Score
    I can live without a removable battery, but only if the built-in one isn't starting off poorly. The S6 seems to be at that point. That's why LOVED the idea of the Active.
    Droid Maxx/Turbo line may be what you are looking for then.

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    You can get close to 6 hours of screen time on the S6 with Scott's Lite rom without sacrificing much. Get it while it's still rootable.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Why not a Droid Turbo?

Excellent battery life, great RF performance, bright high-resolution screen, wireless charging, closer to stock Android than most. Camera is mediocre like all Motorola phones, but seems to tick most of the checkboxes.
    Verizon Wireless - More bars in more places on the now network.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by readability View Post
    Why not a Droid Turbo?

Excellent battery life, great RF performance, bright high-resolution screen, wireless charging, closer to stock Android than most. Camera is mediocre like all Motorola phones, but seems to tick most of the checkboxes.
    Droid Turbo (Former Maxx) owner here, can confirm.

Ignore the S6, between memory problems, waiting for 5.1.1 to fix issues, and piss poor battery life, think M9, G4, Turbo, or wait a little longer for the rumored new Moto flagship and or the new Nexus 5.

Device(s)
    iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeluscher159 View Post
    Droid Turbo (Former Maxx) owner here, can confirm.

Ignore the S6, between memory problems, waiting for 5.1.1 to fix issues, and piss poor battery life, think M9, G4, Turbo, or wait a little longer for the rumored new Moto flagship and or the new Nexus 5.
    And with Android 5.1 available for the Droid Turbo, it becomes even more attractive. It keeps what was nice with Kit Kat, adds some new features and seems to be more responsive and runs very smoothly.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crkeehn View Post
    And with Android 5.1 available for the Droid Turbo, it becomes even more attractive. It keeps what was nice with Kit Kat, adds some new features and seems to be more responsive and runs very smoothly.
    I'm on day 2 of it and am mostly impressed.

WiFi issue seems to be significantly improved. Battery life is about the same, but play services still acts up from time to time.

All in all, a good update.