Thread: Viaero Wireless doesn't have their stuff together. Billing nightmares

Device(s)
    Moto G4, Novatel 7730L, ZTE Mobley, StarTAC
    Carrier(s)
    Viaero, Commnet, VZW, AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score

Viaero Wireless doesn't have their stuff together. Billing nightmares

Viaero wireless decided to abandon their in house billing system without warning on May 3rd and go with an off the self 'solution' from IDI Billing.

http://www.idibilling.com/press/viae...ing-solutions/
    http://www.objectivasoftware.com/project/viaero/

IDI did announce Viaero as new clients, but Viaero made no mention of the impending changes to their subscribers. I have two subscriptions with them: one postpaid mobile broadband, the other is prepaid mobile broadband. Since the transition 55 days ago, my prepaid service has been disconnected 5 due to billing errors/mistakes/incompetence. My postpaid data has been disconnected twice (and probably a 3rd time in just a few days). Each incident requires a hard reset of the modems which is logistically difficult and very expensive.

May 2nd, the old online billing portal goes offline, no self service. Their website doesn't update the URL to IDI's system until Tuesday May 5th.

On May 3rd: All of my Viaero Wireless mobile broadband devices went offline. They all required a hard power cycle.

Later on May 3rd, my postpaid mobile broadband went offline due to unpaid overages (reporting $250 of unpaid data access at $0.35 per MB). Required a call to customer service to input all my billing information into the new IDI Billing system. Call center is swamped.

On May 5th, my prepaid mobile broadband went offline. Same situation. Call in again to re-add billing information. Requires another hard power cycle.

On May 13th, my prepaid mobile broadband went offline. Their system had not measured/reported the consumed cellular data for several days. The backlog had quickly consumed the remaining quota. The reported data consumption is grossly inaccurate (my meter had reported 1284MB, Viaero's went from 0 to 2080MB in a heartbeat, promptly disabled data access, and billed me overages). Required yet another hard power cycle. Renewed the plan early despite the discrepancy in quota.

June 1st, prepaid mobile broadband suspended for an unpaid balance of $0.09 of overages not reported by the billing system. Noticed that Viaero's data meter was still nearly double metering my data quota. Switched to an unlimited data plan and got billed accordingly (250% increase in fees). Still required a hard power cycle on the modem.

June 26th, I called into Viaero anticipating billing errors in the prepaid mobile broadband. They insisted that autopay was in place and would be withdrawn on June 28th in anticipation of a July 1st billing cycle.

June 28th, prepaid mobile broadband suspended for non-payment 28 days into a 30 day prepaid cycle. Incompetent customer service had not implemented the auto-payments correctly. Requires yet another hard power cycle and no one is around to pull the plug.

It's an utter nightmare. Prior to May 3rd, there where no issues or suspensions of any kind. They simply sent the bill and they got paid. On prepaid, they extracted auto-payment 3 days prior to expiration. Not a single suspension of service in over 2 years on the old system. Now their new billing system is utterly useless and has wasted A LOT of my time.

I'm going to have to install hardware on site to hard power cycle the modems since suspension in data service appears to be 'ops normal' at Viaero these days... I've got a grievance with this company at this point.

The most painful aspect of this is that whatever they are doing to force suspension, it is terminal for a powered up HSPA+ device. There is nothing I can do in software to reset the modem into a functional condition. It must be physically powered down and restarted for data access to resume. Kind of impossible if no one is around. I made design decisions in 2013 that hadn't failed prior to IDI coming in to mess up Viaero's billing. Now living with the consequences of an incompetent billing consultant I didn't hire.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    They've finally gotten their billing system sorted out and the new data meter is now accurately reporting usage. No suspensions since June 28th.

The HSPA+ data network is as fast as it's always been. No other wireless carrier in the nation offers 200GB data quotas for mobile broadband. I just wish they hadn't botched their billing system so badly and made me lose off my hair in the process cleaning up after their mess...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Another slap in the face: passwords to the online billing portal expire every 90 days without advanced warning...

No need for security to be that tight. You literally cannot do anything or see anything on this IDI web portal (aside from erroneous usage statistics). It's an empty shell of a user environment.

IDI Billing must have some super slick sales personnel to unload this worthless hulk of a billing platform on Viaero. Maybe tracfone, comcast, or similar should scoop them up to further degrade their customer service...

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key 2, VZW AC791L Jetpack, MoFi 4500 SIM4 V. 2 LTE Gateway, Moto Z2 Force w/ Keyboard Mod
    Carrier(s)
    ▪T▪ ▪ ▪Mobile▪, Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The bigger issue with Viaero Wireless, In My Opinion, is their unwillingness to offer service outside of Kansas, Colorado, and Nebraska. I need a replacement for the Clear WiMAX internet I depend on, because Sprint's shutting Clear down on November 6th, and Viaero would work for me IF they would offer service in the Mid-Atlantic Region.
    Photobucket's policy changes SUCK!

New signature coming soon-ish...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    They don't have licenses outside those regions. They are geographically bound to those areas.

The billing quagmire has finally settled down and Viaero's new billing platform is finally working correctly...

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance View Post
    The bigger issue with Viaero Wireless, In My Opinion, is their unwillingness to offer service outside of Kansas, Colorado, and Nebraska.....
    Viaero, like CSpire, USSC, Thumb, Commnet, etc is a regional carrier that only offers native service in a limited area. In Vaiero's case, they seem perfectly willing to let customers roam as much as they like but that does not mean that they offer activations outside their native service footprint. The confusion is partially the fault of regional carriers. They like to make the customers feel that they are nationwide, when in reality, their "nationwide" footprints are based on roaming agreements.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key 2, VZW AC791L Jetpack, MoFi 4500 SIM4 V. 2 LTE Gateway, Moto Z2 Force w/ Keyboard Mod
    Carrier(s)
    ▪T▪ ▪ ▪Mobile▪, Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by E_tron View Post
    They don't have licenses outside those regions. They are geographically bound to those areas.
    Speaking only for myself, and I am unanimous in this, I'm looking at it this way: IF you show a Nationwide Coverage Map, you should offer service to anyone that's in those areas that are covered.

But it's all good, I don't need them now. I've made other, better arrangements.

Quote Originally Posted by E_tron View Post
    The billing quagmire has finally settled down and Viaero's new billing platform is finally working correctly...
    Glad to hear it.