Thread: Opensignal accurate for tower mapping?

Feedback Score

Opensignal accurate for tower mapping?

I was curious about an apparent sustained decrease in signal at my home. Decided to try out Opensignal and saw that it does not show the nearest tower that should exist per the various cell tower maps.

Was wondering if this is 100% accurate and/or how to find out if a cell tower site has been taken out of service?

I reckon the software is reasonably accurate because it shows a new site (testing / temporary?) near my work that has coincided with a significant boost in signal and data speeds.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    I'm pretty sure OpenSignal is crowd-sourced

Meaning that if no one had the app running while they were in that area, there'd be no data about that area

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by juleso View Post
    I was curious about an apparent sustained decrease in signal at my home. Decided to try out Opensignal and saw that it does not show the nearest tower that should exist per the various cell tower maps.

Was wondering if this is 100% accurate and/or how to find out if a cell tower site has been taken out of service?

I reckon the software is reasonably accurate because it shows a new site (testing / temporary?) near my work that has coincided with a significant boost in signal and data speeds.

Thanks.
    If you are looking for signal in Calgary, give Sensorly a try! It has lots of data and a lot of the data for the SE/SW/NW part of the city was contributed by yours truly...a lot of it!
    T-Mobile
    $30 Simple Choice North America 10 GB

T-Mobile
    $3 Pay by the Day

Feedback Score
    Based on their heatmap for Wind I'd say it's packed with garbage data. There are hundreds of places where signal is reported but the user was clearly roaming (take a look at Quebec City, not to mention those points in Texas and Florida).

http://opensignal.com/networks/canada/wind-coverage

Feedback Score
    Thanks.
    I work for OpenSignal, and just want to clarify the tower situation. We can accept that our tower positions aren't always 100% accurate (and as MysteriousAnon remarked, by nature of being crowdsourced we won't capture towers in areas where we don't have data unless we incorporate third party sources, which we don't at the moment), but we have a big new update coming soon with a revamped location algorithm that is showing positive results in testing. The new tower database will go live (and be available through the website map, app and the API) in mid-July.

With regards to determining whether a tower has been taken out of service, we are still developing the best mechanism for determining whether a tower has been taken out of service, based on a number of variables. It would be very helpful to know if you still don't see the tower you mentioned after our tower refresh. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rodtaylor View Post
    There are hundreds of places where signal is reported but the user was clearly roaming (take a look at Quebec City, not to mention those points in Texas and Florida).
    Thanks for pointing this out - this will help us investigate why those datapoints in Texas and Florida are appearing. Roaming is mapped to the host network, and we apply other filters, so it is possible that there are user devices that are misreporting and we need to add parameters to our filters. Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    I also want to tell you my experience with open signal. When i checked tower locations for wind in east York area(Toronto) with coveragemapper I could actually find the equipment personally when I go to the location shown. For example there is a mobi and wind location on gamble ave where I could actually see. Open signal does not show this location at all but shows another one down the road. When I go there there is no cell equipment at all . experienced this a few other places. So open signal doesn't seem to have right locations. Could you clarify this issue and could it be fixed?

Feedback Score
    Hi edjian, thanks very much for sharing. As I've mentioned before, the accuracy of the tower location depends in part on the quantity of data that has been collected in that area, and in part on the location algorithm. One way the tower positions can certainly be improved is by there being more data in the area for each network. I can see at a glance (from the OpenSignal heatmaps) that while we have a lot of data for Wind, we don't have as much for Mobilicity. Then, as there is a big road near Gamble Avenue, data collected by people driving by and connecting very briefly to the tower could skew the tower position. Plotting towers accurately is something we are actively working on, and as mentioned before we have a refresh coming mid-July. I'll post here when the refresh is complete - it would be very helpful to know whether the new tower positions are more accurate. Thanks!

Device(s)
    LG K3
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    My Virgin Mobile service is giving me much lower signal strength than was predicted on a nationwide coverage map. I downloaded Open Signal and it indicates that there is a Virgin Mobile | LTE Cell Tower #8456 about a half mile from my home. But when I walk by there, I only see an open field, and my phone still gives me very low signal strength readings (around -116 dBm).

Rootmetrics stated that I could expect signal strengths of roughly -86 dBm for Sprint in the neighborhood that I live, and instead I am getting levels lower than that by about 30 dBm.
    LG K3 on Virgin Mobile ($20 a month Walmart Plan)
    2 Samsung SCH-u410™ w/Verizon Prepaid ($5 month & $15 month grandfathered plans)

Device(s)
    Samsung s8+
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    way to go digging up a really old thread + it's not even for your country as you said sprint witch is in the usa.
    Freedom Mobile
    Line 1:
    $59 LTE Plan for $59
    Line 2: $45 Unlimited everything a month $45

Device(s)
    LG K3
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It is not "witch"

My question is about OpenSignal, not about Canada.