Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sprint halts data throttling and prioritization

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thegonagle View Post
    They won't take it away from anybody, they'll just stop offering it as an option. Get it while you still can.
    I hope that's the case and not just with those who got "Unlimited data for Life" plans back when they had the commercials with the zombies. Now it says on the bottom of the plan page "All plans are limited time offers"

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by THoAddict01 View Post
    I hope that's the case and not just with those who got "Unlimited data for Life" plans back when they had the commercials with the zombies. Now it says on the bottom of the plan page "All plans are limited time offers"

via the HoFo App
    You have a really good point there. They did advertise the "for life." They may have shot themselves in the foot by that should they ever need to quell abusive users in the future.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabian Cortez View Post
    You have a really good point there. They did advertise the "for life." They may have shot themselves in the foot by that should they ever need to quell abusive users in the future.
    Maybe that's what they're using the funding from SoftBank for, to hire hitmen for all the unlimited data for LIFE customers 😳😂

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    pixel xl
    Carrier(s)
    google fi
    Feedback Score
    Maybe that's what they're using the funding from SoftBank for, to hire hitmen for all the unlimited data for LIFE customers ����

via the HoFo App

oooh heeel no, lol..

i have one of those unlimited for life plans; $110 my all-in unlimited everything, 5 gb of tethering,

& do i use it!

but i'm about to use this much more, restructering my financial output, & i'm about to cut verizon fios short, & replace the internet with sprint data LEGITIMATELY, like so -

http://www.andromiumos.com/

all the duckies are lined up to do so, & as i typed many times before, these aren't merely phones we carry around, they are much more than, with telephony capabilities, far too data eccentric to be called *phones*!

i love what the Andromium project attempts to do, it makes much more utilization of the phone we already carry
    around, turning IT into a desktop pc, via your own cellular (a plus for unlimited users with no other access, or streamlining bills) or via wifi..

the whole project flips the trick knowledge wireless carriers pimp, charging a toll for the same data, based on how it's used..

no need for the toll gate charges of tethering, expand the phone's capabilities..!
    >:-,

“There's no benchmark for how life's "supposed" to happen. There is no ideal world for you to wait around for. The world is always just what it is now, it's up to you how you respond to it.”
    ― Isaac Marion, Warm Bodies

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by j'vai View Post
    oooh heeel no, lol..

i have one of those unlimited for life plans; $110 my all-in unlimited everything, 5 gb of tethering,

& do i use it!

but i'm about to use this much more, restructering my financial output, & i'm about to cut verizon fios short, & replace the internet with sprint data LEGITIMATELY, like so -

http://www.andromiumos.com/

all the duckies are lined up to do so, & as i typed many times before, these aren't merely phones we carry around, they are much more than, with telephony capabilities, far too data eccentric to be called *phones*!

i love what the Andromium project attempts to do, it makes much more utilization of the phone we already carry
    around, turning IT into a desktop pc, via your own cellular (a plus for unlimited users with no other access, or streamlining bills) or via wifi..

the whole project flips the trick knowledge wireless carriers pimp, charging a toll for the same data, based on how it's used..

no need for the toll gate charges of tethering, expand the phone's capabilities..!
    I don't understand why people get so upset and say people 'abuse' their unlimited data. It's UNLIMITED, period. (Sounds like a MetroPCS commercial) If you pay for unlimited, that's what it should be. If it's bringing down the network, the carrier should invest all the money they're making off the plans to make it perform better instead of throttling people who pay for unlimited.

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    pixel xl
    Carrier(s)
    google fi
    Feedback Score
    I don't understand why people get so upset and say people 'abuse' their unlimited data. It's UNLIMITED, period. (Sounds like a MetroPCS commercial) If you pay for unlimited, that's what it should be. If it's bringing down the network, the carrier should invest all the money they're making off the plans to make it perform better instead of throttling people who pay for unlimited.

via the HoFo App

i'm with your assesment 200%..

every subscriber who pays, (especially premium old school contracts like mine) month to month, invests into the network, every month!

& each expects to fully utilize the plan they paid into the network..

imagine two year contracted subs, the onus is on the carrier to accomadate the growing demand..
    Last edited by j'vai; 06-18-2015 at 06:37 PM.

Device(s)
    pixel xl
    Carrier(s)
    google fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post
    Website still says video is throttled to 600 Kbps.
    https://halfprice.sprint.com/?INTCID...R:032015:CYBIH

Bottom tiny text says: "Usage Limitations: To improve data experience for the majority of users, throughput may be limited, varied or reduced on the network. Streaming video speeds will be limited to 600Kbps at all times, which may impact quality. Sprint may terminate service if off-network roaming usage in a month exceeds: (1) 800 min. or a majority of min.; or (2) 100MB or a majority of KB. Prohibited network use rules apply see sprint.com/termsandconditions"

600 Kbps is a little over 0.5 Mbps... or 360p video. I imagine you can get around this if the video provider uses HTTPS... unless they're actively looking for video IP addresses to throttle.

just, maybe, it's the terms of my older my all-in plan, but i don't experience this limit -

right here in my kitchen, i toggled to 3g, & played a youtube vid at 1080p, with no stutters -

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9o...ew?usp=sharing

all done on what many claim is **slow azz, cdma is dead, less reliable than hspa** evdo rev a..

on a nexus 5..

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

i'm with your assesment 200%..

every subscriber who pays, (especially premium old school contracts like mine) month to month, invests into the network, every month!

& each expects to fully utilize the plan they paid into the network..

imagine two year contracted subs, the onus is on the carrier to accomadate the growing demand..
    Couldn't disagree more - - I look at the carrier's unlimited data more as an all you can eat buffet. For the most part it's unlimited, but at a certain point the manager will come out and ask you to leave - - usually at the point if you are abusing the spirit of the offer (sharing with your friends or stashing to take home) or ruining the offer for other patrons (making it hard for them to supply the buffet).

Unlimited data is the same situation - - there's a limited supply and plenty of people who need to be fed. For the most part, everyone uses their fair share - - but when you have a few people abusing the spirit if the offer or taking more than their fair share of food and slowing down service for everyone else, it's perfectly fine for the manager to come out and ask them to leave (or in this case slow them down)...

People who cry 'unlimited is UNLIMITED damnit!!' are being completely ignorant... True, we really should be blaming the American consumer because we actually believe that things could truly be unlimited when they usually aren't - - and blaming the carriers for using the term unlimited because it's a good sounding buzz word - - when they could have said '20 gigs of data with no hard overage fees' and offered exactly what they were really willing to provide - - but no, we can be quite the selfish bunch, so we gobble up anything with the term 'unlimited' in it, and people market things with that word when it really should be 'unlimited, within reason'.

I look at it like this:

Comcast has 'unlimited' consumer cable service for 60 bucks a month. There is actually a soft 250 gig cap there where after that point they can slow you down, or cancel your service. It's a high enough limit that you generally won't hit it unless you are hosting a good sized website...

250 gigs is a nice chunk... It's pretty much unlimited for the VAST number of consumers...

BUT if that isn't enough, Comcast offers TRULY unlimited service - - their Enterprise group has this service. It costs over $1000 per month, and it's designed for businesses and web servers... That is TRUE unlimited service... And you pay for it. You also get a Service Level Agreement that says that not only is it unlimited, but that you'll have a minimum speed, and a certain amount of uptime or they refund the difference....

Same with Centurylink unlimited 'fiber internet' for your home, and Centurylink 'enterprise fiber'.... About 18 times more money on both fronts - - but it's the difference between "unlimited" and actually unlimited...

If Sprint wants to offer a 800 per month unlimited plan, I'd be all for it... Then all you whiners who complain can get that and hog down all the data you want and pay for it...

In the meantime, we need to go after the advertising community who think it's fine on this country to say 'unlimited' when it's really 'unlimited within reason'.

Wireless data is a limited resource... The whole 'unlimited' thing is meant to be a security blanket, not a license to tether, torrent, stream and host... If you want that, find a plan that's priced accordingly.
    N

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NGeorge View Post
    Couldn't disagree more - - I look at the carrier's unlimited data more as an all you can eat buffet. For the most part it's unlimited, but at a certain point the manager will come out and ask you to leave - - usually at the point if you are abusing the spirit of the offer (sharing with your friends or stashing to take home) or ruining the offer for other patrons (making it hard for them to supply the buffet).

Unlimited data is the same situation - - there's a limited supply and plenty of people who need to be fed. For the most part, everyone uses their fair share - - but when you have a few people abusing the spirit if the offer or taking more than their fair share of food and slowing down service for everyone else, it's perfectly fine for the manager to come out and ask them to leave (or in this case slow them down)...

People who cry 'unlimited is UNLIMITED damnit!!' are being completely ignorant... True, we really should be blaming the American consumer because we actually believe that things could truly be unlimited when they usually aren't - - and blaming the carriers for using the term unlimited because it's a good sounding buzz word - - when they could have said '20 gigs of data with no hard overage fees' and offered exactly what they were really willing to provide - - but no, we can be quite the selfish bunch, so we gobble up anything with the term 'unlimited' in it, and people market things with that word when it really should be 'unlimited, within reason'.

I look at it like this:

Comcast has 'unlimited' consumer cable service for 60 bucks a month. There is actually a soft 250 gig cap there where after that point they can slow you down, or cancel your service. It's a high enough limit that you generally won't hit it unless you are hosting a good sized website...

250 gigs is a nice chunk... It's pretty much unlimited for the VAST number of consumers...

BUT if that isn't enough, Comcast offers TRULY unlimited service - - their Enterprise group has this service. It costs over $1000 per month, and it's designed for businesses and web servers... That is TRUE unlimited service... And you pay for it. You also get a Service Level Agreement that says that not only is it unlimited, but that you'll have a minimum speed, and a certain amount of uptime or they refund the difference....

Same with Centurylink unlimited 'fiber internet' for your home, and Centurylink 'enterprise fiber'.... About 18 times more money on both fronts - - but it's the difference between "unlimited" and actually unlimited...

If Sprint wants to offer a 800 per month unlimited plan, I'd be all for it... Then all you whiners who complain can get that and hog down all the data you want and pay for it...

In the meantime, we need to go after the advertising community who think it's fine on this country to say 'unlimited' when it's really 'unlimited within reason'.

Wireless data is a limited resource... The whole 'unlimited' thing is meant to be a security blanket, not a license to tether, torrent, stream and host... If you want that, find a plan that's priced accordingly.
    N
    I don't tether, torrent, or host anything. And for the plans where they throttle you down, it goes to 128 Mbps. Would it really hurt to limit it to 1 Mbps or something more like that? They just do it to say it's 'unlimited'. Don't get me wrong that is better than a hard cap. But as for home internet plans like Comcast with a 250 GB cap, I don't understand the 'need' for that. My home internet through Time Warner Cable is truly unlimited and no one has a problem with speed degrading. I actually get above the speed I pay for.

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

I don't tether, torrent, or host anything. And for the plans where they throttle you down, it goes to 128 Mbps. Would it really hurt to limit it to 1 Mbps or something more like that? They just do it to say it's 'unlimited'. Don't get me wrong that is better than a hard cap. But as for home internet plans like Comcast with a 250 GB cap, I don't understand the 'need' for that. My home internet through Time Warner Cable is truly unlimited and no one has a problem with speed degrading. I actually get above the speed I pay for.

via the HoFo App
    I agree that the 128k cap is somewhat aggressive - - but I've experienced speeds worse than that before Sprint started their upgrades when people jammed the network... The low point was 9kbps (0.9K)--slower than a 1980's dialup modem (9600 baud) in 2011... If the data crush is coming the way they say it will, and if the networks don't keep pace (I'm thinking Sprint... Again) unthrottled unlimited would kill it... Even a 1 Meg throttle could kill it. T-Mobile could get away with it, Sprint can only in Spark areas.

As for the home internet caps, I'm sure that's there for pricing structure more than anything... I average around 100 gigs a month on my home cable connection, and I do quite a bit with it - - even if I had a good sized family it would be a stretch to hit 250. The point is once you hit 250, you really should start looking at the Business Class plans (100-200 price range) which are around 500 gigs IIRC... If you are going over 500 gigs at home you are either running a torrent server, Web server, high traffic forums - - or something that really does require an Enterprise plan...

To me it seems fair... I pay 60 bucks and use 100 gigs... If I used over 250 it'd be about double... And if I used over 500, I'm pretty sure I'd be doing something that would be generating some income and would probably need extra reliability, and that's where the truly unlimited/Enterprise/Service Level Agreement plans come in - - at work we push a couple TB per month at least, and pay about 1500 for Metro Ethernet - - doesn't seem like a ripoff to me.

As for wireless, it only makes sense that the caps would be lower since the capacity is MUCH less, even with all the advanced networks that are coming online.

Device(s)
    pixel xl
    Carrier(s)
    google fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NGeorge View Post

I look at it like this:

N

you've gotten drunk off the kool-aid, & are reminiscing in a distant past, light years ago, to type that-

frequency reuse

"..Many wireless carriers and their trade associations argue that the FCC must make hundreds of
    megahertz of spectrum available for wireless broadband i
    n order to keep pace with customers’
    growing mobile data demands.
    But this is not so.
    Capacity problems can be addressed in numerous
    ways that do not involve spectrum.
    So while additional spectrum
    is a tool that can help
    relieve
    congestion on mobile net
    works,
    the current rush to reallocate is not necessary. .."

the future will demand MORE usage, not less, & just like voice services, data prices WILL drop.

the shell game of spectrum scarcity is busted..
    Last edited by j'vai; 06-19-2015 at 10:06 PM.

Feedback Score
    just, maybe, it's the terms of my older my all-in plan, but i don't experience this limit -

right here in my kitchen, i toggled to 3g, & played a youtube vid at 1080p, with no stutters -

all done on what many claim is **slow azz, cdma is dead, less reliable than hspa** evdo rev a..

on a nexus 5..
    Without actually seeing the transcoded bitrate, you may be very well viewing a 600kbit video. It doesn't matter if you selected 1080p, you're going to get the maximum the network is capable of delivering. Standard 1080p video requires at least 8mbit. You are most definitely watching transcoded video at MUCH lower bitrate. In fact, I guarantee you it was around 480p (2.5mbit).

Device(s)
    pixel xl
    Carrier(s)
    google fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    Without actually seeing the transcoded bitrate, you may be very well viewing a 600kbit video. It doesn't matter if you selected 1080p, you're going to get the maximum the network is capable of delivering. Standard 1080p video requires at least 8mbit. You are most definitely watching transcoded video at MUCH lower bitrate. In fact, I guarantee you it was around 480p (2.5mbit).

i'm about to find out right now, by tethering while on 3g, for more clarity.. hold on..

Device(s)
    pixel xl
    Carrier(s)
    google fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post

**video recording done**

**an even weaker baud rate, & so many studders that i lost count, but at 1080p**

i'm MORE THAN confident, from that, that if i tethered at a more optimal 3g evdo connection, i'd have consumed that 1080p video wityh nary a buffer stall..

Device(s)
    Lg flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cpddude View Post
    I'm a self proclaimed data hog and proud of it. I actually never seemed to be throttled even when I was well of 75 gigs and torrenting. Looks like my wifi tether might replace my home internet and I'm going to put a hurting on MY unlimited data. Thank you Sprint for saving me money.

via the HoFo App

enjoy it while you can...nothing lasts forever and have you possibly thought of Wifi? and what are you going to do when it is gone?

Cry like a little girl or get mad and ***** and rant and rave?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast