Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sprint halts data throttling and prioritization

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Sprint halts data throttling and prioritization

It looks like Sprint has opted to not throttle users / prioritize the network any longer. The article makes it sound like Sprint has reacted to a lawsuit that AT&T was involved in regarding throttling unlimited plans.

I wonder if their network will be able to handle things without prioritization?

http://gizmodo.com/sprint-halts-data...ali-1712169473

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Oh, no. Here come the data hogs. I have a tower blasting Band 41 using 8T8R a couple thousand feet from my house on the outside edge of the suburbs, so I should be OK.
    I don't feel like a thread-killer...

Device(s)
    pixel xl
    Carrier(s)
    google fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kirt View Post
    Oh, no. Here come the data hogs. I have a tower blasting Band 41 using 8T8R a couple thousand feet from my house on the outside edge of the suburbs, so I should be OK.
    please, with the *data hog* crap, unlimited is unlimited!

people who pay the rate to use it, have right to do so, as agreed,

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...1#post15955221

unlike this - Unlimited-Data-De-Prioritization-gets-clarified

sprint's change would be truly unlimited as stated, not *21gb of rated speed, then a cliff drop to a lower speed thereafter* call that what it truly is, *21gb* as boost mobile does with it's tiered plans, THEN drops the speed thereafter..

next on the list; this charging a tethering toll for the same data madness..
    >:-,

“There's no benchmark for how life's "supposed" to happen. There is no ideal world for you to wait around for. The world is always just what it is now, it's up to you how you respond to it.”
    ― Isaac Marion, Warm Bodies

Feedback Score
    I hope they don't lose unlimited data all together like their CEO said they will once their network comes up to par. Unlimited data for my iPhone for $50 per month is the whole reason I'm switching in August.

via the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Does that mean videos will no longer be limited to low quality ("3G speeds" as they put it) and images won't be compressed/blurry when speeds fall under 0.5Mbps?
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Feedback Score
    [Q UOTE=Volaris;15955427]Does that mean videos will no longer be limited to low quality ("3G speeds" as they put it) and images won't be compressed/blurry when speeds fall under 0.5Mbps?[/QUOTE]

Are video speeds limited to 3G speeds on postpaid too? I know they are for their prepaid brands but haven't seen anything about it being for postpaid

via the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by THoAddict01 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post
    Does that mean videos will no longer be limited to low quality ("3G speeds" as they put it) and images won't be compressed/blurry when speeds fall under 0.5Mbps?
    Are video speeds limited to 3G speeds on postpaid too? I know they are for their prepaid brands but haven't seen anything about it being for postpaid
    Website still says video is throttled to 600 Kbps.
    https://halfprice.sprint.com/?INTCID...R:032015:CYBIH

Bottom tiny text says: "Usage Limitations: To improve data experience for the majority of users, throughput may be limited, varied or reduced on the network. Streaming video speeds will be limited to 600Kbps at all times, which may impact quality. Sprint may terminate service if off-network roaming usage in a month exceeds: (1) 800 min. or a majority of min.; or (2) 100MB or a majority of KB. Prohibited network use rules apply see sprint.com/termsandconditions"

600 Kbps is a little over 0.5 Mbps... or 360p video. I imagine you can get around this if the video provider uses HTTPS... unless they're actively looking for video IP addresses to throttle.

Feedback Score

Sprint halts data throttling and prioritization

Seems to be:
    https://halfprice.sprint.com/?INTCID...R:032015:CYBIH

Bottom tiny text says: "Usage Limitations:To improve data experience for the majority of users, throughput may be limited, varied or reduced on the network. Streaming video speeds will be limited to 600Kbps at all times, which may impact quality. Sprint may terminate service if off-network roaming usage in a month exceeds: (1) 800 min. or a majority of min.; or (2) 100MB or a majority of KB. Prohibited network use rules apply see sprint.com/termsandconditions"

600 Kbps is a little over 0.5 Mbps... or 360p video.
    If that policy stays in place that's certainly a deterrent from going to Sprint in August. You'd think that would be against net neutrality limited video streaming speeds.

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

If that policy stays in place that's certainly a deterrent from going to Sprint in August. You'd think that would be against net neutrality limited video streaming speeds.

via the HoFo App
    I've only experienced this once for a couple weeks right as they were activating Network Vision... Must have been about 2 years ago now but for a couple weeks images were horribly compressed and so was video. It never came back and my video and images are fine so must have just been implemented for network growing pains.

Feedback Score
    I hope they don't lose unlimited data all together like their CEO said they will once their network comes up to par. Unlimited data for my iPhone for $50 per month is the whole reason I'm switching in August.

via the HoFo App
    What? Did you think he was lying?

120+ MHz of high band spectrum and you can't continue to offer unlimited data? That's pretty upsetting.

Feedback Score
    That's a very good question!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by j'vai View Post
    please, with the *data hog* crap, unlimited is unlimited!

people who pay the rate to use it, have right to do so, as agreed,

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...1#post15955221

unlike this - Unlimited-Data-De-Prioritization-gets-clarified

sprint's change would be truly unlimited as stated, not *21gb of rated speed, then a cliff drop to a lower speed thereafter* call that what it truly is, *21gb* as boost mobile does with it's tiered plans, THEN drops the speed thereafter..

next on the list; this charging a tethering toll for the same data madness..
    I agree with this sentiment but we shall see.

Device(s)
    Moto G4, Novatel 7730L, ZTE Mobley, StarTAC
    Carrier(s)
    Viaero, Commnet, VZW, AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    All aboard the 5MHz Band 25 train!

Meanwhile the Wimax network is falling to pieces. We are already down to a single 10MHz carrier where I live. Still no Band 41 LTE *sigh*

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I'm a self proclaimed data hog and proud of it. I actually never seemed to be throttled even when I was well of 75 gigs and torrenting. Looks like my wifi tether might replace my home internet and I'm going to put a hurting on MY unlimited data. Thank you Sprint for saving me money.

via the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    They won't take it away from anybody, they'll just stop offering it as an option. Get it while you still can.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast