Thread: Nokia 520 Screen replacement help.

Feedback Score

Nokia 520 Screen replacement help.

After one year and two months with flawless performance of my beloved 520 Lumia and some nasty drops(without breaking) it finally happened. Total shattered screen from a flat drop straight onto a cement floor.

The phone still totally works like it always has even with the entire screen smashed. This tells me I only need to replace the glass outer? seems the digitizer hasn't been effected since the screen takes input great.

I was going to replace the entire phone, but I can get a screen for 4 dollars and replace it myself, so....I'd like to do that instead of chucking it in the trash. Like to get another year out of it.

So should I get the digitizer and glass?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumia_Black View Post
    After one year and two months with flawless performance of my beloved 520 Lumia and some nasty drops(without breaking) it finally happened. Total shattered screen from a flat drop straight onto a cement floor.

The phone still totally works like it always has even with the entire screen smashed. This tells me I only need to replace the glass outer? seems the digitizer hasn't been effected since the screen takes input great.

I was going to replace the entire phone, but I can get a screen for 4 dollars and replace it myself, so....I'd like to do that instead of chucking it in the trash. Like to get another year out of it.

So should I get the digitizer and glass?
    I would just get a new phone if I were you. After I swapped my old 521 with shattered screen with a 521 with good screen but bad ESN, I learned that it is so easy to replace just the mainboard than replacing the screen.

Feedback Score
    The 635 is for sale brand new for $50 - can buy an AT&T/GoPhone-branded one, don't activate it at all, and they'll unlock it free for non-customers.

Feedback Score
    Yeah I agree with the above....it makes no sense to repair your 520.... Bury that guy))

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vartanarsen View Post
    Yeah I agree with the above....it makes no sense to repair your 520.... Bury that guy))

via the HoFo App

4 dollars for a screen and it even comes with the small torx and separating tool.

Now if it were 20 dollars or more....then maybe not, but for 4 bucks I'll try and fix it.

I just dislike throwing out stuff for a simple problem while the rest of it works great.

I've seen people throw out perfectly good barbecue grills, just because the regulator hose got some cracks in it. They go out and get another 100 dollar grill when they could spend twenty for a new hose.

I hate seeing stuff thrown out for stupid reasons that can be simply fixed, but for most I guess, they need to hire someone to do the fix....and that is usually not cheap, so people just go get a new one. Unfortunate,.

Feedback Score
    Well sounds like you've made up your mind - was that the case before you asked for our opinions, or did our opposite view just help you crystallize your thinking?

Feedback Score
    I didn't ask if i Should replace the whole phone I actually wanted to fix my 520. I asked if I should get the glass or just the the digitizer with it. Apparently the digitizer is a part of the screen...I didn't know this. The display is what is separate and that seems ok.

I watched some vids on the process and it seems doable and at 4 dollars for a new screen plus tools...I figure I'd give the 520 another shot. If it doesn't work I'm getting the 635....nice phone, can't believe it's only 50 bucks....Quad core and slightly bigger screen LTE... Seems to be like a 520 on steroids.

Feedback Score
    That's why we all think you're nuts to futz with the 520, but best of luck with whatever you do. . .

Feedback Score
    I finally got around to replacing my screen. I got the replacement screen which is a generic version with no "Nokia" badge.

I took my time and it was actually very easy to do, just make sure you get all the finger prints and dust off the inside, because you cant after the screen is bolted in.
    I wasn't expecting it to work, but at least I could take pride in trying.

Well it works great. The only thing that is weird is the double tap to wake is now just one tap. Not a huge problem.... I have it on password protect so it doesn't matter if things constantly trigger the screen. Or I could turn that feature off...no big deal. Otherwise it is working well.

I secretley was hoping it wouldnt work, cause I wanted to get a 635, but it does work, so I guess I'll keep the bugger going.

Feedback Score
    I want to mention that the tool that came with the screen did not work, it was not the right size. I ended up spending another 5 dollars on this project because I went out and got me a sweet, little, precision driver set from Lowes....a Kobolt brand which is really nice. It had the correct #4 Torx bit in it.

It's all ok, because the little tool set is an investment and not a one time use deal, so I'm not going to include it in the cost of this screen replacement. I can use those tools on many projects to come.

So I still only have 4 dollars invested in fixing my phone and some pride I could actually do this. Nice to see inside one of these!

Feedback Score
    I'm very happy that you were able to fix it!

It's a nice little phone.

I hope you can get a lot more use from it.

Good job

Sent from my Wonderful LG Optimus L90