Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 66

Thread: 5GB High Speed for BYOB

  1. #16
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    416
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    0
    It seems odd that they would actually discourage people from purchasing a phone from ST, by favoring the BYOP program. They might have a captive audience at the moment but that can change fairly rapidly.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,267
    Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone X 256 GB Space Grey
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mowgie View Post
    It seems odd that they would actually discourage people from purchasing a phone from ST, by favoring the BYOP program. They might have a captive audience at the moment but that can change fairly rapidly.
    I honestly think they're trying to get those lost subscribers back, and also Cricket customers. A general Cricket customer will see it as "oh, Straight Talk offers 5 GB for $45 just like Cricket does, except Straight Talk has full data speeds. This sounds interesting and it's worth looking into."
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    north west Los Angeles "the valley"
    Posts
    6
    Carrier(s)
    tmobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    No data increase in the hot spot plans... I was hopeful!

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,561
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by brachiopoid View Post
    Well, I suppose that they consider you to be "locked in" with a ST phone, but maybe they are bleeding BYOP customers who can just overnight go elsewhere for better customer service, etc. so they want to sweeten the pot a little for them. The ST plans aren't as competitive as they used to be.
    I think it is fine to try and lure the BYOP people back, but they should not punish the ST phone people. Why not just make it the same for everyone. You would think they would want to sell their phones to people, and this seems to encourage them to not buy a ST phone. Just doesn't make sense to me to piss off your current customers. Maybe they are trying to be more like Comcrap and treat new people better than current customers.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    8,764
    Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    0

    5GB High Speed for BYOB

    Quote Originally Posted by freakonomics101 View Post
    I honestly think they're trying to get those lost subscribers back, and also Cricket customers. A general Cricket customer will see it as "oh, Straight Talk offers 5 GB for $45 just like Cricket does, except Straight Talk has full data speeds. This sounds interesting and it's worth looking into."
    You're probably right. I just don't trust ST not to throttle before the 5GB mark.

    But good luck to those playing ST throttling roulette.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

  6. #21
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,958
    Device(s)
    Motorola MOTO X4, Iphone 6S On VZW (Wife's)
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    It seems ST is starting to feel the heat from some of other MVNO's. 5GB's is a great price for $45 but the problem with ST is that they have been known to throttle before you actually reach your limit. They may determine you've used too much data in week so they throttle early. And doesn't their TOS still state that you aren't allowed to stream audio or video with your data? That kind of makes it worthless. I just switched to Cricket but if ST had a true 5GB's that you could use however you liked (except tethering) then I'd consider going back to ST.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    416
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    0
    I'm not sure about video but they do allow for audio now, from what I've read.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    539
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    For $10 more you can get unlimited LTE data with Metro PCS which runs off T-Mobile.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    204
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6 on ST
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk/AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    It would be very attractive if ST came out with a plan for around $30 with 3GB or so of data. They have a $30 plan but it is not compatible with the BYOP program. I am in hopes of a new plan to come soon, since I never come close to using more than 2GB data.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    836
    Device(s)
    Nexus 6, Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    0
    Based off of my experience in person with people that buy the cheap phones from MVNOs....they probably don't care. Half of them probably never download any apps beyond what are installed on the device already.
    Nexus 6 - 64 GB - Midnight Blue
    Nexus 4 - 16 GB - Black
    Nexus 9 - 32 GB - Black
    And my first: Samsung Galaxy Craptivate.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    13,768
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bjacks12 View Post
    Based off of my experience in person with people that buy the cheap phones from MVNOs....they probably don't care. Half of them probably never download any apps beyond what are installed on the device already.
    Sorry don't care about what?

    Number of apps you have doesn't have much to do with how much data you consume.

    And what about all those people with expensive flagship phones on these cheap MVNOs because they're rarely away from WiFi?

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    13,768
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rgg View Post
    I think it is fine to try and lure the BYOP people back, but they should not punish the ST phone people. Why not just make it the same for everyone. You would think they would want to sell their phones to people, and this seems to encourage them to not buy a ST phone. Just doesn't make sense to me to piss off your current customers. Maybe they are trying to be more like Comcrap and treat new people better than current customers.
    As I said they may be recognizing the future is with BYOP, no reason for them to be in the phone-sales business at all given nicer phones prices are dropping to the same price level as the relatively cr^ppy ones they've been selling.

    Anything that encourages people to stop buying their phones from their service provider is a good thing IMO.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NYC/OK-TX
    Posts
    2,467
    Device(s)
    LG H631
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    As I said they may be recognizing the future is with BYOP, no reason for them to be in the phone-sales business at all given nicer phones prices are dropping to the same price level as the relatively cr^ppy ones they've been selling.

    Anything that encourages people to stop buying their phones from their service provider is a good thing IMO.
    Yea true they are crappy phones.

    Why pay to be locked to them permanently when there are comparable phones out there with better specs/good pricing that you can take elsewhere if so desired.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    141
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S4 Active
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Here's the text message I received from them this past Thursday.
    Name:  ST_BYOP_5GB.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  38.6 KB

    I think they want to be more in the service sector than in providing hardware.
    Caveat emptor.


  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    854
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    As I said they may be recognizing the future is with BYOP, no reason for them to be in the phone-sales business at all given nicer phones prices are dropping to the same price level as the relatively cr^ppy ones they've been selling.

    Anything that encourages people to stop buying their phones from their service provider is a good thing IMO.
    Oh there is a HUGE reason to be in the phone sales business. They pay diddlysquat for those phones and they sell like hotcakes. Most of their customers buy ST branded phones, most don't even know you can bring your own phone, most don't care. Half don't know the difference between a sim card and micro SD card. The truth of the matter is Straight Talk caters to low income uniformed people, that's their core customer base, not their whole base obviously, but the core. It's just the way it is.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. High Speed for T-mobile sooner than we think?
    By secrecyguy in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-15-2007, 01:29 AM
  2. PSP v1.5 + Sony 2gb High Speed for $300
    By takako_ox in forum Other Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-04-2006, 01:12 PM
  3. Using bluetooth... high-speed for laptop?
    By doogster in forum General Mobile Questions and Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-13-2005, 12:36 PM
  4. Which high speed internet for Chicago West Loop?
    By braincuttermd in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-03-2004, 06:10 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-17-2003, 05:46 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks