Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I regret every positive remark I've ever made about Straight Talk.

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk Wireless
    Feedback Score

I regret every positive remark I've ever made about Straight Talk.

I have never been so disgusted with a company in my life. Keep in mind, I was an advocate for Straight Talk, until today. I'm switching companies, and I'm not looking back.

Today, at approximately 3 PM EST, I noticed my data wasn't functioning. I could make and receive phone calls and text messages, but data wouldn't work. When I attempted to access a website, I would repeatedly get "Webpage not found". I decided to take a drive to make sure it wasn't a data outage in my area. It wasn't, as I drove to another city and still had the issue.

I called Straight Talk.

Representative (We'll just call her #1, because I went through five of them. Yes, 5!) #1 after waiting on hold with her while she "navigated her system" for 10 minutes, advised that I would need to call from another phone.

I called back, and spoke with Representative #2. Representative #2 took my through verifying wireless networks was enabled, to powering the phone off, then back on. He then advised me of their throttling policy, which I proved shouldn't affect me because I just refilled yesterday. He quickly changed his tune. Representative #2 stated that was all he could do and I needed to be transferred to "a higher technical support representative".

I was transferred to Representative #3. Representative #3, again, went through wireless networking and powering the phone off, as well as doing a master reset on the device. I knew I would lose everything, and that wasn't a problem. I did everything only for him to respond with, "I see your refill is dated 5/4. I need you to turn off your device, wait an hour, try again, and call us back." C'mon guy, I'm not stupid. I've worked technical support and know that lousy technicians will do that type of garbage to fish the problem off to someone else. Needless to say, I spoke up and told him that wasn't acceptable as the phone wouldn't be working at all -- voice, sms, data -- nothing. He quickly transferred me to someone else.

I was transferred to Representative #4. This poor girl didn't have a clue what she was doing. Again, I had to explain my situation, and again, go through master reset, checking wireless networks, and checking APN settings. At this point, I told myself that when the call hits the 60 minute mark, I was hanging up, done with troubleshooting, and calling for a refund. At exactly 60 minutes, I hung up and called back for a refund.

I called back, and answered Representative #5. I kid you not, before I could even say a word, I got the dreaded, "Hold for 1-3 minutes while my system boots up." Again, I've worked technical support. Does your system need gas? Is it really that outdated that it has to reboot every time someone calls in? Five minutes into the call, again, "Please wait 1-3 minutes, my system is having an issue." I spoke up and said, "I've been on the call for five minutes already, and you haven't so much as acknowledged that I'm here. You haven't asked 'How is your day?' What can I help you with? Nothing." He stated, "I can't do anything when my system doesn't work." What!? What in the hell kind of business are you!? No kidding, 14-minutes into the call I get, "I'm going to have to do this manually. Paperwork. So, in order to get everything going, I need you to wait another 3-5 minutes to get everything." At this point, I was an hour and 15 minutes into dealing with them, and I hung up.

That said, I've decided to challenge the refill charge with my bank because I haven't been able to use it. Even if I don't get it back, it's a cheap $45 lesson learned.

When I'm sitting in a conversation with Straight Talk thinking, "I'd rather be dealing with Comcast right now," you know there's a problem.

Straight Talk, I'm taking my money elsewhere, jerks.

Device(s)
    Huawei Ascend Mate 2 (5.1 Beta, Stock) & HTC One m7 (VZW 5.0.2 Stock + Root)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Terrible service. I'm sorry for your inconvenience. Good for you to move on though.

Device(s)
    Nokia E71
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanBounca View Post
    I have never been so disgusted with a company in my life. Keep in mind, I was an advocate for Straight Talk, until today. I'm switching companies, and I'm not looking back.

Today, at approximately 3 PM EST, I noticed my data wasn't functioning. I could make and receive phone calls and text messages, but data wouldn't work. When I attempted to access a website, I would repeatedly get "Webpage not found". I decided to take a drive to make sure it wasn't a data outage in my area. It wasn't, as I drove to another city and still had the issue.

I called Straight Talk.

Representative (We'll just call her #1, because I went through five of them. Yes, 5!) #1 after waiting on hold with her while she "navigated her system" for 10 minutes, advised that I would need to call from another phone.

I called back, and spoke with Representative #2. Representative #2 took my through verifying wireless networks was enabled, to powering the phone off, then back on. He then advised me of their throttling policy, which I proved shouldn't affect me because I just refilled yesterday. He quickly changed his tune. Representative #2 stated that was all he could do and I needed to be transferred to "a higher technical support representative".

I was transferred to Representative #3. Representative #3, again, went through wireless networking and powering the phone off, as well as doing a master reset on the device. I knew I would lose everything, and that wasn't a problem. I did everything only for him to respond with, "I see your refill is dated 5/4. I need you to turn off your device, wait an hour, try again, and call us back." C'mon guy, I'm not stupid. I've worked technical support and know that lousy technicians will do that type of garbage to fish the problem off to someone else. Needless to say, I spoke up and told him that wasn't acceptable as the phone wouldn't be working at all -- voice, sms, data -- nothing. He quickly transferred me to someone else.

I was transferred to Representative #4. This poor girl didn't have a clue what she was doing. Again, I had to explain my situation, and again, go through master reset, checking wireless networks, and checking APN settings. At this point, I told myself that when the call hits the 60 minute mark, I was hanging up, done with troubleshooting, and calling for a refund. At exactly 60 minutes, I hung up and called back for a refund.

I called back, and answered Representative #5. I kid you not, before I could even say a word, I got the dreaded, "Hold for 1-3 minutes while my system boots up." Again, I've worked technical support. Does your system need gas? Is it really that outdated that it has to reboot every time someone calls in? Five minutes into the call, again, "Please wait 1-3 minutes, my system is having an issue." I spoke up and said, "I've been on the call for five minutes already, and you haven't so much as acknowledged that I'm here. You haven't asked 'How is your day?' What can I help you with? Nothing." He stated, "I can't do anything when my system doesn't work." What!? What in the hell kind of business are you!? No kidding, 14-minutes into the call I get, "I'm going to have to do this manually. Paperwork. So, in order to get everything going, I need you to wait another 3-5 minutes to get everything." At this point, I was an hour and 15 minutes into dealing with them, and I hung up.

That said, I've decided to challenge the refill charge with my bank because I haven't been able to use it. Even if I don't get it back, it's a cheap $45 lesson learned.

When I'm sitting in a conversation with Straight Talk thinking, "I'd rather be dealing with Comcast right now," you know there's a problem.

Straight Talk, I'm taking my money elsewhere, jerks.
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. Had the same issue back about 4 months ago. Turned out it was the phone at the heart of the issue. Switch my sim to a different phone and walla.

Feedback Score
    OP glad you're escaping the Slime. Btw where are you going? If I can help let me know.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I skimmed, but did you try airplane mode? that's helped a Note 4 ST user I know.

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Unfortunately, Straight Talk's outsourced customer service was only good for activations, porting, and refilling in my experience. Anything else (such as dead data) required me to use their Facebook customer service... which I've heard is US based. Unfortunately, it's slow because they take 12-24 hours to reply.
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Feedback Score
    Try cricket, it is mostly good.

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I appreciate the sympathy, peeps. It really irritated me, and after sleeping on it, that company can still eat one. I'm planning on going to a local, regional carrier, with 2 GB's data, and unlimited minutes/text, for $45 per month. They also have 4G in my area. It will be about $10 more per month with taxes than Straight Talk, but as far as I'm concerned, Straight Talk no longer exists.

Feedback Score
    ST is dead to you!

Feedback Score
    Have a look at Consumer Cellular.

Unlocked GSM, AT&T network service same as the mothership's post-paid, including full roaming. In that regard it's better than GoPhone. Also the customer service mentality is awesome, it is genuinely a pleasure to deal with their enthusiastic and intelligent native-speaking USians.

Of course not the cheapest but IMO very good value, and STELLAR customer service, if you ever experience an incompetent or unfriendly rep I will eat my hat.

If that aspect is important to you (I'm amazed at how many people claim it isn't to them, they only look at $ per GB) I highly recommend you check out their plans, especially if you have more than one line and don't plan on using lots of data.

There's no contract, no credit check, no obligation past the monthly end date, you just pay at the end of the cycle rather than before. This does mean taxes & fees, about 15% for my state. When they sell phones it's at full retail, so they will carrier-unlock on request at any time.

Another great thing is you can get auto notifications when reaching say 75% of your selected usage plan, change your plan as many times in a cycle as you like right up to the end date. I even had a rep apologize that their system wouldn't level me up automatically! When I'm not using my line much the service comes in at around $12, when I use a lot (for me) around $40-50. It's not cheap for high-data usage, but if you have multiple lines each additional is only $10, all the buckets are shared, so that may well make it a very cheap service for a group with wildly varying usage patterns.

Just ignore their oldies-niche targeting, and don't try to use their SIM overseas. . .

Carrier(s)
    straight talk
    Feedback Score
    Hey OP, sorry to hear about your situation. I had something like that on a ST older phone (Motorola defy) and switched phones and returned the phone for a full refund. Hope your new service, phone will work well for you.

Feedback Score
    Cricket would be $35/month on auto pay for 2.5 GB data.

Feedback Score
    I'm having the same problem my dad has stopped working I still have calls text and MMS I'm on Straight Talk through the Verizon bring your own phone program with LTE I know its in my Android settings it says I'm in LTE service and I have everything but I'm disconnected I called them they're clueless and my service end date was may 5/I thought it was cuz I took my sim card out of my LG g3 important in the Nexus 6 but I don't think it has to do with that now

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cooter55 View Post
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. Had the same issue back about 4 months ago. Turned out it was the phone at the heart of the issue. Switch my sim to a different phone and walla.
    9.5 times out of 10 it's not Straight Talk or any other MVNO, it's the phone and/or the user whose doing something wrong, but they blame big bad Slim over and over and over, lol.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie500 View Post
    9.5 times out of 10 it's not Straight Talk or any other MVNO, it's the phone and/or the user whose doing something wrong, but they blame big bad Slim over and over and over, lol.
    No, the company has proven many times they are scum with no ethics, purposefully lying to their customers, to the point where they've even been fined by the usually-industry-captive FCC.

And yes they throttle randomly, starting way earlier than the limits you're paying for.

And they prove customer-service incompetence with nearly every interaction.

It's worth paying a lot more to never have to deal with this company again in your life.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast