Thread: Band 2 LTE in SoCal

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Band 2 LTE in SoCal

I've been noticing more Band 2 sightings all over the Inland Empire out here in SoCal. Latest one at the corner of Day Creek and the 210 in Rancho Cucamonga in the Ralph's Marketplace shopping center.

I've also noticed my LTE speeds back on the upswing finally after almost a year of complete decline. I've been getting the 50's 60's and 70's (download speeds) at random driving around town with latency in the 30's and low 40's. I was at the Irvine Spectrum and I could use my apps at the Yardhouse without them choking like they did a few months ago even on a very crowded Saturday night.

For a while there the AT&T LTE network out here sucked. I mean awful speeds. Now it looks like things are getting better.

Service around the Ontario Mills Mall (outside) still pokey 1-3 Mbps speeds but man inside the mall they must have turned on something because they have the best signal and best LTE speeds indoors compared to Verizon or T-Mobile. This must be new because several weeks ago it was no backhaul HSPA coverage indoors. This is a positive in my book!

Believe it or not my friends Verizon iPhone 6 was getting 1xRTT (in an XLTE area) at random in the same spot I was pulling 72 Mbps down.

Anyone else?
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Adonis View Post
    I've been noticing more Band 2 sightings all over the Inland Empire out here in SoCal. Latest one at the corner of Day Creek and the 210 in Rancho Cucamonga in the Ralph's Marketplace shopping center.

I've also noticed my LTE speeds back on the upswing finally after almost a year of complete decline. I've been getting the 50's 60's and 70's (download speeds) at random driving around town with latency in the 30's and low 40's. I was at the Irvine Spectrum and I could use my apps at the Yardhouse without them choking like they did a few months ago even on a very crowded Saturday night.

For a while there the AT&T LTE network out here sucked. I mean awful speeds. Now it looks like things are getting better.

Service around the Ontario Mills Mall (outside) still pokey 1-3 Mbps speeds but man inside the mall they must have turned on something because they have the best signal and best LTE speeds indoors compared to Verizon or T-Mobile. This must be new because several weeks ago it was no backhaul HSPA coverage indoors. This is a positive in my book!

Believe it or not my friends Verizon iPhone 6 was getting 1xRTT (in an XLTE area) at random in the same spot I was pulling 72 Mbps down.

Anyone else?
    I've seen Band 2 on LTE here in Santa Clarita. Not all sites have band 2 enabled, which ends up having my phone switch back to 17 or 4 often. Many areas - band 17 will give ~20-40Mbps down, band 4 will give 5-10Mbps down and I haven't hit enough band 2 to know what I'd get. The more interesting piece to note is that speeds will vary during the day by location.

Eg. Office areas will be slow during the day and very fast at night (eg Industrial parks / office bldgs)
    Malls will be 'decent' during the day and slow down in the afternoon/evening but be VERY fast late night
    Suburbia will be great during the day, and typically suck during morning/evenings

I think these applications such as Root Metrics/Sensorly should map traffic as a 'time of day' function as well as a generic speed.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    I've got Band 2 in Mission Viejo @ 10Mhz, Was screaming (40Mbps/10Mbps speedtest)
    WiFi Guru

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I don't consider 40/10 as screaming. .. but it's decent, especially in urban areas. Here's a typical result from Newhall pass on i5 band 17 on Samsung Sg3

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    I don't consider 40/10 as screaming. .. but it's decent, especially in urban areas. Here's a typical result from Newhall pass on i5 band 17 on Samsung Sg3
    Considering AT&T saturates their network down here, 40/10 is fantastic.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wifiguru View Post
    Considering AT&T saturates their network down here, 40/10 is fantastic.
    In many places in LA/San Fernando Valley and when I was up in San Francisco/San Jose area, I would agree.