Thread: Voice-to-text for voicemail available?

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score

Voice-to-text for voicemail available?

Rogers, Fido, and Telus all offer voice-to-text in one form or another. Rogers/Fido send you an MMS with the voice message converted to text, and attach a sound recording of the voicemail itself. Telus will send you an SMS with the text, and can email you the sound file.

Does Koodo offer something like this, perhaps as an add-on? This is a key calling feature for me, and I couldn't find any info about it on their website. Hopefully you can get it, as Rogers has let this feature flow through to their flanker brand (so long as you are prepared to pay for adding it on). With luck, Telus has done the same.
    Asus ROG Phone -- SIM 1: Rogers (10GB + unlimited) -- SIM 2: Public Mobile (talk/text/250 MB)

Feedback Score
    Do you mean Visual Voicemail? It's an option for iPhone users:
    https://www.koodomobile.com/add-ons#

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlineHarvest View Post
    Do you mean Visual Voicemail? It's an option for iPhone users:
    https://www.koodomobile.com/add-ons#
    No, I don't mean visual voicemail. To me, visual voicemail is "the best of the worst". It let's you listen to your voice messages in any order, but it still makes you actually listen to it. To me that's old-school at best, and archaic at wost. It's *very* unappealing.

Voice-to-text is exactly what it sounds like: it uses voice recognition technology to turn your voice message into text, and then sends it to you as an SMS (or an MMS) so that you can read it. Is it perfect? No, but it's usually enough to give you a really good idea of what was said. That's usually all I need. Heck, half the time voice messages are "Hey, call me back" anyway, right? It saves me the time of listening to my voice messages when I'm busy, only to find them inconsequential.

If I'm in a meeting, or my partner's asleep, etc., I don't want to listen to my voicemail. But I can read it in those circumstances, and get a pretty good idea of how important it is. If it seems important, and the message is at all unclear, then I can immediately listen to it; more commonly the meaning is either really clear, or its in any case clearly inconsequential at that moment. Voice-to-text quickly gives me a sense of that and it's incredibly useful. Rogers offers this service, so does Fido, and so does Telus. I'm *hoping* that Koodo does too.

Right now I'm paying Fido $91 a month, so I'm seriously considering my options. I'd like to reduce my monthly bill, but call me old school as calling features are important to me still (it's not all about the gigabytes, all the time). This service is valuable to me, so Koodo offering it would make me dramatically more likely to consider them as an option. Any chance that this is available upon request? Telus supports it, so it's likely technically possible for Koodo to do so should Telus choose to let them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hurdle View Post
    No, I don't mean visual voicemail. To me, visual voicemail is "the best of the worst". It let's you listen to your voice messages in any order, but it still makes you actually listen to it. To me that's old-school at best, and archaic at wost. It's *very* unappealing.

Voice-to-text is exactly what it sounds like: it uses voice recognition technology to turn your voice message into text, and then sends it to you as an SMS (or an MMS) so that you can read it. Is it perfect? No, but it's usually enough to give you a really good idea of what was said. That's usually all I need. Heck, half the time voice messages are "Hey, call me back" anyway, right? It saves me the time of listening to my voice messages when I'm busy, only to find them inconsequential.

If I'm in a meeting, or my partner's asleep, etc., I don't want to listen to my voicemail. But I can read it in those circumstances, and get a pretty good idea of how important it is. If it seems important, and the message is at all unclear, then I can immediately listen to it; more commonly the meaning is either really clear, or its in any case clearly inconsequential at that moment. Voice-to-text quickly gives me a sense of that and it's incredibly useful. Rogers offers this service, so does Fido, and so does Telus. I'm *hoping* that Koodo does too.

Right now I'm paying Fido $91 a month, so I'm seriously considering my options. I'd like to reduce my monthly bill, but call me old school as calling features are important to me still (it's not all about the gigabytes, all the time). This service is valuable to me, so Koodo offering it would make me dramatically more likely to consider them as an option. Any chance that this is available upon request? Telus supports it, so it's likely technically possible for Koodo to do so should Telus choose to let them.
    You could always suggest it on Koodo's ideas forums, they look at those and take them into consideration. I don't know if they'd do it though, they won't even get an iPhone 6+ bigger than 16GB...

Feedback Score
    Forward your number to a voicemail service that offers what you want. Fongo might work. $3/month for unlimited call forwarding.

Device(s)
    Nokia - Fido
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    I wish I had a use for this as well.
    My VM are mostly not in english so it was annoying getting these useless (to me) transcriptions. Plus I always check my vm when driving so there is always time for it.

I would call Koodo and ask CR if they know about possible implementation.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Koodo now offers "Instant Voicemail" which sends you your voice messages as an audio file attached to an MMS. But, it doesn't contain a voice-to-text estimation of the message. So you still have to listen to the message to know if it's worth listening to. To say nothing of situations where you don't want to or can't listen to it (public places, noisy environments, work meetings, etc.). Aaargh!

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Visual voicemail with Telus gives a written transcription of the message. I hardly ever listen to voicemail anymore unless whoever called is a big time mumbler and it can't decipher what they said.