Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a DUAL SIM card phone (ACTIVE DUAL SIM!!)

Feedback Score

Smile Looking for a DUAL SIM card phone (ACTIVE DUAL SIM!!)

Guys, I am looking to buy a dual sim card phone where both sim cards/phone numbers can be active at the same time so that I can receive calls on EITHER one of them and not having to reboot and switch to one of the numbers.

I was hoping that I can list my wish list below and you guys can point me in the right direction. I'll also look for a place to buy it with at least decent service and with US warranty.

It must be unlocked as I don't use a lot of minutes and I want to be able to pick the provider I want.

..........So, here's what I want in the phone....................

Note that my current phone is the NEXUS ONE which I have had since it first came out and I’m comparing to that in size, resolution and so on.

1. Good Touch sensitivity. I’m so fed up with the Nexus one screen. It sucks on sensitivity and half the time I can’t even get things pressed in time to answer the phone.

2. Good quality speaker and loud. For speech, I don’t intend on playing music on it.

3. Newer Android version as I want predictive dialing so that when I dial, it auto completes the phone numbers for me. I don’t care if it does this with text, I want it to do it with phone numbers.

4. The ability to ENLARGE the fonts so I don’t have to root the damn thing like I did with the Nexus one just to be able to get software to make the fonts bigger and I mean bigger font ESPECIALLY in the PHONE BOOK. Overall would be good but above all, the phone book as I intend to use this as a phone, NOT to play around with.

5. I would like to have a decent camera (the one facing away from the screen) but this is NOT a must.

6. Decent size screen (the Nexus one is around 3.8” which is fine for me) with decent resolution and contrast. I do NOT need a bigger phone

7. Quad band I guess. Don’t know about this stuff.

8. I want Wi Fi

9. I want Blue Tooth

10. Sending pics with text is something that would be nice to have but I’ve lived without it for 5 years so I can do another 5 standing on my head.

11. The Nexus One has 480x800 resolution I think and I love that screen. I have no idea how 240x480 will look like some of the cheapo ones have.

12. Doesn’t have to be very fast, I WILL ONLY use it as a phone.

13. My phone service is 4G but they say I can use 2g if necessary and I don’t do much more than calling so since I’m sure it’s cheaper, 2G is fine, however, I would prefer 4g capable, just in case.

14. The Ability to use as hotspot athough I have bought a separate hotspot device. (cheaper)
    Not a must.

15. I have a ringtone that I’ve had for years and I’d like to be able to just put that back on the phone and I assume I can just hook it up to the pc and drop it in the right folder?

16. I would like GPS but not really necessary since I haven’t really used it at all on the Nexus

17. To get voice dial with hands free in the truck, I assume I need voice dialing on the phone? I would like that but again, not a deal breaker. I’m broke so that is what decides my purchase.

18. Decent quality and at least a year/warranty.

19. Multitouch or gesture or whatever it’s called would be nice for when I want to enlarge a picture but again, NOT necessary.

Well, that should be plenty of info. Could I stay under two hundred bucks with this?
    Again, the most important feature is the DUAL SIM that are ALWAYS ACTIVE.

Thanks for any tips and please, including links if you can.

George
    Last edited by guiri; 03-29-2015 at 09:54 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    There aren't any decent dual sim phones out there with a US warranty. There might be some cheap Chinese dual sims floating around Amazon but those are very flaky.

As someone who's looked for a dual sim phone, the best one is the Sony Xperia Z3 Dual D6633.

It's technically not an active dual sim phone in terms of data and active calls, but you don't need to reboot the phone or do anything funky to switch to the other number.

Here's a thread on XDA about it:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/z3/g...l-sim-t2921862

And here's the phone on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/XPERIA-D6633-W.../dp/B00O9PKF7U

Supports all of AT&T's 4GLTE bands and T-Mobiles primary 4GLTE bands.

Now, to be cheaper, here are some other options from good brands. I haven't looked into these so I can't really say much about them.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00PUQ...ed+cell+phones

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DRN...=AC_SY200_QL40

And here's a BLU phone. American owned, Chinese made, cheap quality but they're highly rated.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HPT...=AC_SY200_QL40
    Personal bests:

Sprint // $70 Unlimited + iPhone Forever
    Apple iPhone 6s (Sprint)

[Formerly] Verizon Wireless // More Everything™ 10GB
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (VZW) | Motorola DROID RAZR M
    http://www.speedtest.net/android/1119949246.png
    T-Mobile // Simple Choice Prepaid Unlimited
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (VZW)
    http://www.speedtest.net/android/1146406371.png

Feedback Score
    Thanks Folstein. Clearly this will be even harder than when I looked for the Nexus a bunch of years ago. There's MUCH bigger selection out there

Sadly, no one makes it clear if these phones are active or not. Just to be clear, I do NOT get any calls on the SECOND phone number but I've sent out enough business cards with that number that I'd like to be safe and if I don't have anything like this, I might go a damn month without checking the other number. Only had a few calls on it so far but still, it's bad business if you take a couple of weeks to return a call.

I take it on one that's dual sim but NOT active, you would NOT know if someone calls you on the number that is NOT active unless you switch and check it, right?

Yeah, I got a chinese from ebay and not sure if it was bad or not or just that it wasn't active.

Got a used one from ebay and in that case, I returned or sold it too so no, I wasn't happy. I think one of them didn't even work or stopped working or something so yeah, you're right, a bunch of ****!

Another problem I also have and which I was looking for here was advice on the other features. Most of the time the specs that you get online are VERY limited and even though I can probably research and find anything, with that huge selection, I was hoping to narrow it down to a few phones here before I do the final research.

I guess there's too big selection, huh?

Thanks by the way

Oh, the Sony will be way out of my price range. I don't need the damn dual sim that badly.
    If I can't get it, I'll just get me a decent phone to upgrade mine 'cause I think it's screwed
    up but above all, I'm sick and tired of the touch sensitivity on the screen. It really sucks!

George
    Help a friend who might soon be homeless: https://www.gofundme.com/soonHomeless

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Not from US (so probably no warrantee) but check out this site http://mobile.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-c...buying-advice/

Other thing would be think about google voice. If you port the number you don't use much then you can have 1 Sim and the unused number could be forwarded to the used number automatically when someone call.

If you plan on keeping the phone as long as you did the N1, I would go with a phone with at least 3G, I think most companies are trying to disband 2G to free up spectrum for 4G. If you tell us what provider you have it may help as Verizon/sprint are CDMA(you probably don't have those based on what you said) AT&T is on different frequencies then T-Mobile but some frequencies overlap.

Feedback Score
    Let me reply with what I can Dennis.

First, I DO have google voice but the problem is that I have TWO google voice numbers and you can only
    forward one of their numbers to the same phone or this would NOT be a problem.

Second, I would like the dual sim for another reason (the active version anyway) and that is so that
    I can see which number is calling. One of them I keep as my regular/personal number and the second
    would be a business number. Again, I haven't gotten more than a couple of calls so this is probably a moot
    point and might be for years but since I want a new phone anyway (NEED a new one), I was going to do
    everything right (hopefully) and do the active dual sim.

Currently I'm on H20 Wireless with only a $10 a month account and I don't even use that a month.
    That'll tell you how much I talk on the phone. I hope to never have to talk much more but if I do,
    I might upgrade. That would be the reason for getting a phone that hopefully works with every gsm
    carrier.

As for verizon, I didn't know they had GSM/sim phones or I would have mentioned them. I think they're F'ing thieves
    and I want nothing to do with them.

I found a phone selector thing on one of the cell forums but didn't see the option of dual sim on there.

By the way, in the link that you provided, they're talking about dual sim standby vs active. I really don't care much
    if it's stand by if I can see which number is calling so I can answer it but from what it says, if I have one call already
    going on and the other number rings, I simply lose that call. This would NOT be a problem if once I'm done with the call
    on line 1 for instance, that it would show me that someone called on line 2 and I could call back but doesn't seem
    from what they said that this would be an option.
    Also, if I all I have is my google numbers forwarded, I think I only see that it's the google voice number ringing, NOT
    the actual callers number. I think you can choose that in google but then if I change that and I see the actual
    number on the caller, I don't know if it's spam or some other junk call. The thing I love with google voice is that
    I can make people say something before I answer or ignore the call. Sure, lots of people are too damn stupid to
    say their name but at what point should I draw the line between answering every spam call I get or not answering.
    Again, to date I've only had a couple of calls on the second number...

Thanks

George

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    With Google voice you can have either the caller's number or you google voice number. I personally use it so I can swap phones/numbers without telling my contacts. If you have data (does not sound like it but, if you get it in the future) you can use hangouts, then you have 2 dialers that would pop up, Phone for personal line, hangouts for business.

Verizon has CDMA phones with SIM cards and LTE, so like I figured it wouldn't really be an option for you.
    I've never used dual-sim so I'm not very certain about it, though I would love to get one at some point (sim 1 would be T-Mobile for fast data/phone, sim 2 would be straight talk AT&T for data when I don't have signal/LTE on T-Mobile)

This one is less the $300, though it is a large screen phone.
    http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Xperia-D5.../dp/B00JGBIOHU

Feedback Score
    Yeah, love my google voice.
    Do you know by the way if they plan on charging for the voice numbers?

The other day my stuff changed by itself (or me having to click on something to even get to my voice)
    to the hangout thing and it freaked me out. I tried to call my mom overseas through voice since it's super
    cheap and works great and it started asking me for a microphone.

Freaked me out and I went to their forum to ask how to turn that **** off so if that is the only option,
    I don't want it.

I may just have to consider going with a regular phone and not a dual sim but then, it doesn't seem
    like there's a drawback to it, just more money.

I can do $300 but I really don't want to go much higher for a phone I barely use and I can't do those
    huge screens. It's awesome to look at but as you've understood, I don't really do data so all I really
    need is a phone with big text/numbers so I can see it without my glasses (plus my other phone functionality
    requirements).

Maybe it'll be easier to find a good phone with the features I want at a price I want without the dual sim option...

George

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    One nice thing about that Sony, 720 resolution on 6inch screen means the text should be fairly large.

They always talk about charging for google voice, but so far its only been to port in a number (or call overseas).
    You should be able to turn off hangouts integration in voice.google.com
    If your looking for a regular phone there are quite a few for ~$200 that are going to be great coming from a nexus 1 (by the way, I had one of those years ago, I'm on a nexus 6 now)
    There are some Motorola dual sim phones but they are dual-standby so they should work as long as your not on an active call.

Some others to look at
    Dual:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NBS...=AC_SY230_QL60
    Single:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MWI...=AC_SY230_QL60

Feedback Score
    By the way, here's the phone finder I was talking about but I need help with some of the options, like carrier and all that.

I just checked the specs on the nexus one and it's 5mp camera but it sucks. I had an old Sony CAMERA that was
    5mp and the quality was beautiful. I know there's a huge difference but the point I was trying to make is that
    I don't want to shoot myself in the foot and check mark the wrong resolution on the camera options.
    The problem is that specs don't mean anything when it comes to cameras. Again, not a deal breaker for me
    but I would like a good camera. I'm tired of the quality on the nexus.

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/finder.php

THis guy I knew took some pics of my product I sell with his samsung a couple of years ago
    and they turned out great. It was a Samsung SPH-L900. Dunno about the phone but I loved the picture
    quality

Nevermind, that phone finder didn't even find a phone that matched my requirements and on most
    I chose that I don't care so imagine if I had lots of requirements

George

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    That's an interesting finder. Basically you are correct, MPs mean little in cameras, but for cell phones that use oversampling (Samsung, among others) more MP means better photos usually. Samsung is pretty good with cameras for their newer phones (last 2 or 3 years especially)
    That was a note 2 from sprint. The note 2s were good but they were on the bigger size.
    Forgot to mention. Added 2 links to my last post

Feedback Score
    Yeah, they look great but the problem is I'm always running around in either shorts or jogging pants or a hooded jacket and
    all the pockets in those are way too small for a big phone. I already always drop the nexus as it is, I can't even imagine
    a tablet size phone so that's a no go for me on the size. For those that always play with their phones, I can see it but
    I don't do data and I don't text often at all and don't play games or much else for that matter.

Can you elaborate on this please as I'm still uncertain about how all this works..."they should work as long as your not on an active call"

Yeah, I turned the hangout thing off and I'm back to normal.

I hope they keep it the way it is free 'cause those are the only numbers I give out to people and I WISH
    they had this years ago. I could have eliminated so many spam calls...

Maybe I should just consider a regular phone that meets my OTHER requirements? Ie, everything BUT the dual sim...?

Thanks again

George

Feedback Score
    Yeah, the finder is great if it works. Give it a shot and see if you get better results. I think it may be old and not updated.

For some reason the links to amazon that I get are coming up looking all funky. Dunno if it's just me. Anyway, I can of course find them somewhere else to look at. Just wanted to mention it. Weird things happening all the time

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Dual-standby sounds like you can receive calls from either line, unless you are actively using the other. So if you have phone sitting on table, you can receive calls from either line, but once talking on say line 1, line 2 will appear as if the phone is off and go straight to voicemail

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis_Finn View Post
    Dual-standby sounds like you can receive calls from either line, unless you are actively using the other. So if you have phone sitting on table, you can receive calls from either line, but once talking on say line 1, line 2 will appear as if the phone is off and go straight to voicemail
    Well, if that's the case, dual stand by would work for me.

Also, the dual sim you linked to is not a USA item. Are these available in the USA
    with warranty or are they always from outside of the USA due to the dual sim portion?

I wonder how big the 5" will be compared to my nexus.

Check this out. I thought it was cute as hell but of course, with my eyesight it wouldn't work

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-New-Wor...item27fc48e092

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    5 inches is fairly small by today's standards. What you can do is look at a store (Walmart or best buy have lots of cell phones) to compare sizes.

No carrier supports dual Sim in the US (officially, though they would work with the service)

If you buy it from amazon you get their return policy but no warrantee.

I'd die with that little thing. I watch TV and videos (mostly TED talks) on my phone

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast