Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a DUAL SIM card phone (ACTIVE DUAL SIM!!)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by guiri View Post
    Here's a question Hans. IF I used this service and say I was using like I do, TWO different google numbers that are then forwarded to me. Say Number 1 and number 2. If I use this service and both are forwarded to the cellphone. Would I then see IF a call is coming in from 1 or 2 or would it look like they're coming in from ONE place?

THe only reason for the two sims was that I wanted (thinking ahead of time here as right now, I don't even have any calls coming from line 2) to be able to see which line they're calling and perhaps answer accordingly or, since I get a lot of spam calls on line 1, maybe even ignore calls wheres calls on line 2 would be business calls only...

Thanks

George
    You can set the service to display CallerID as either passthrough of the actual caller or the number that's forwarding to you.

Personally I prefer the former, as 90% of my callers are people I deal with regularly (therefore in my contacts, custom ringtones, routed to VM by group and time of day), and it's easy enough to block nuisance/spam calls otherwise, including crowd-sourced data.

Seems to me using the latter for these purposes is too crude, from where you are now get your basic comms issues solved first, then deal with these finer-control issues down the road if/when they arise.

I imagine you suffer from "paralysis by analysis" - when stuff like this is so cheap (in ring.to's case free!) and easy, just try things out and see how you go.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by agave View Post
    H2O uses AT&T
    So, if I'm on AT&T or T-Mobile, I should be good then?

So, could someone break it down for me WHAT (connectivity wise) I need to have
    covered to get a phone that works for me?

For instance, this is copied from the GSM Arena site and it's about the Moto G Dual Sim:

2G bands GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
    3G bands HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100
    Speed HSPA 21.1/5.76 Mbps
    GPRS Yes
    EDGE Yes

That should cover me, right?
    Help a friend who might soon be homeless: https://www.gofundme.com/soonHomeless

Feedback Score
    I don't think there is a modern GSM phone on the planet - certainly not one sold in the US - that wouldn't be 100% OK on ATT.

T-Mobile has been in the process of rolling out new bands that many of even T-Mobile branded phones don't support yet.

If you post your question stating the phone model # and your local area(s) in a T-mobile forum you will get an authoritative answer.

Personally I'd stick with the ATT network, especially if you ever travel to/through less populated areas.

Feedback Score
    Well, if H20 is ATT and that's what I'm using now, I guess that'll be ok. If I get something cheap enough and for some reason I change anything in the future and it doesn't work, I guess I'll have to deal with it then.

This is proving to be a lot of info for my little brain but I went through this *hit when I got the NExus one a bunch of years ago...

Thanks

George

Feedback Score
    I know that the BLU Advance didn't seem like the right phone for your needs, but in case it was still something that you were considering for experimentation with dual-SIM (and you see this message in time), it's on sale on Amazon for $50 for the next 4 hours.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mwb1100 View Post
    I know that the BLU Advance didn't seem like the right phone for your needs, but in case it was still something that you were considering for experimentation with dual-SIM (and you see this message in time), it's on sale on Amazon for $50 for the next 4 hours.

Boo, I missed it

I really appreciate you letting me know though.

Saw the notification but was going to answer later and clearly
    I saw it too late.

I went to a cellphone store yesterday and looked around and saw another
    off brand with a 5 inch screen and next to it was a phone the size of my nexus
    and that other phone looked puny. I slipped the bigger phone into my shorts and frankly,
    size wasn't bad at all. So, since I'm not in much of a hurry, I may want to reconsider my options.

I shall be back.

Thanks again and should something else pop up, please have a look at my site
    at TheHelmetHook.com and go to the contact page.

George

Feedback Score
    By the way, I also looked at the large text size option on the phone in the store and it's not as big as
    what I have on my phone.

It's a CYANOGEN hack I think and I had to have it rooted when I got it so that I could
    get this thing on there for a larger font. Clearly, I'll need an app for this again.

Would someone like to post a picture of their phone showing the phone book in
    the biggest text size they can find and if so, I can do the same if anyone's interested
    in the size of the text I have.

IF you do this, make sure the phone is completely flat (or even put it on a scanner)
    so that I can then do what i did with the size comparison.
    If I have known and accurate measurements of a phone, I can get it right to a few mm

By the way, the dude at the store couldn't even find the text size option...really?
    How do you sell phones and can't even find that stuff...?

George

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by guiri View Post
    By the way, the dude at the store couldn't even find the text size option...really?
    How do you sell phones and can't even find that stuff...?
    Low-end wages aren't enough to attract people that are of above average intelligence. Or if they are, not enough to make them care about their job. The average HoFo'er knows a lot more about a given provider's offerings than 95% of the customer-facing staff of the company.

Device(s)
    Moto Z Play, Moto Z2 Force, Blackberry Z10
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Based on your initial requirements you might like the Sony Xperia Dual M C2004. It is around the size of the Nexus One with a similar screen resolution. i own one so I was testing it out for some of the things you were looking for and it would probably meet your needs. They SonyStore might have some in stock. Sony makes a lot of dual-sim versions of their phones so there might be others you would consider.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kingstu View Post
    Based on your initial requirements you might like the Sony Xperia Dual M C2004. It is around the size of the Nexus One with a similar screen resolution. i own one so I was testing it out for some of the things you were looking for and it would probably meet your needs. They SonyStore might have some in stock. Sony makes a lot of dual-sim versions of their phones so there might be others you would consider.
    ...and now you know why I'm here

It's sad that even though I didn't know where to look since I haven't done it in many years, I still found it

Feedback Score
    Huawei and Alcaltel are good candidates for what you are looking for. In case you have tight budget. China made phones will do but don't expect too much from their durability and quality which I think totally depends on how you take care of your gadgets.

Feedback Score
    I actually take very good care of my stuff and although I only have a very thin silicone case for my nexus, I've never damaged it and as I said initially, I don't use it much. Also, I keep it in my pocket and one of the reasons I want a smaller phone vs a 6 incher or something is 'cause I want it to fit in my shi*ty pockets (stuff always falls out of them) and NOT fall out which I'm sure it would if it were too big.

Well, I just got some money last week and I CAN do a bit more but I don't really want to. If I had my life in the phone like most people seem to then yes, I could justify it but not now, I barely use it. I think $2-300 is the max I want to go and it should be something pretty decent for that money.

Just FYI, the nexus cost me over $600 when I bought it but that was 5 years ago or something.

Feedback Score
    You really are over-thinking this whole thing.

Dual-SIM in the US market really complicates things. Your described use-case doesn't even point to dual-SIM as a worthwhile solution IMO, do the Ring.to thing, maybe if you need outbound calling on the number combined with googleVoice or TextNow or Line2 or any of the other VoIP solutions.

Learn to use eBay well and you can keep trying decent Android phones for peanuts and then reselling the also-rans, try a new phone every month if you like, maybe cost you something like $30 a month total.

Feedback Score
    Hans, I'm thinking you're prolly right but here's the last problem. I still would like to find phone/s that have the rest of the options/features that I want and although I don't think the requirements are anything that should be a big deal these days, I still have no way of knowing what the features are because in most cases, it's hard to find detailed specs.

Now, say I could get a list here or anywhere of a bunch (or a few) phones that meet the requirements (clearly I'm going to have to root the phone to get the really big font size), I would go on ebay and try to find a used one and like you say, just sell what I don't like and if you look in the replies, for most parts I get recommendations about a phone but without really getting answers about whether they have all the features...no offense to anyone by the way.

George

Feedback Score
    The odds are slim you'd get someone with the same needs as you who also actually has tried the phone - especially because you are pre-filtering based on the rarest feature which you actually don't even need - the dual SIMs.

Go to other forums specific to the phone(s) you'd like to start with and ask one question at a time, most important first.

In the meantime start bidding on eBay. Soon as you win an auction, stop asking about that model since you'll be able to test yourself. Keep asking about the others while you test phone 1, start bidding on model 2. etc, rinse and repeat until you're all happy.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast