Thread: Roaming in Canada

Feedback Score

Roaming in Canada

Hi I moved to Vancouver a few years ago from South Africa (SA). I have a SA phone with a SA sim card. Ever since I arrived my phone a blackberry roamed on the Rogers network and I have used it periodically to communicate to SA. 10 days ago for no reason it will not roam on any local network. I have contacted my SA network and they confirm that everything is ok on their side and that nothing has changed. Yet I cannot connect to Rogers or any other local network. I have done resets and sim out and battery out etc. When I do a network search it finds Rogers but then shows the following message "managed roaming services limited please select another network." Does anyone have any idea what is going on? Or can anyone suggest a solution .

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1, Pixel XL, Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Nexus S
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo & Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    What are the native bands, and frequencies your phone uses? Do they match Canadian bands? What model of BB?

Perhaps Rogers has cut ties with your provider. That's all I can think of at the moment.
    Un-Rogered, and getting better 'value'.

Feedback Score
    BB 8900 they match Canadian bands completely. The phone was fully functional on roaming up to 9 days ago (I have been using it for 3 years locally). The SA provider still has ties with Rogers this is just really weird. It allows for emergency calls on Rogers ? But nothing else. This is really quite unique.

Feedback Score
    ^What I can think of is, Rogers 2G Network which is what that berry runs on has be dismantled or your Service Provider no longer has 2G Roaming agreement with Rogers. Maybe the Roaming agreement is for 3G Network only.

Another thing I suggest is putting your SA Sim card into an unlocked Canadian device to see if it works.

Feedback Score
    Thanks I will try that as well.

Device(s)
    One Plus One (Virgin), iPhone 5c (Mobi)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin > Fongo, Chatrlicity
    Feedback Score
    "managed roaming services limited please select another network."
    This really stands out for me. BES IT Policy kick you off?
    Bell SK+fongo:
    $85 Unlimited NA, NA text, US Roaming, 15GB

Feedback Score
    So I took a drive to the US border did a network search got AT T and phone roams fine? I also researched Rogers to see if they did anything with their network and turns out they entered a local roaming agreement in early march this year about the same time my roaming was killed. Maybe my case is a bug in their system chances are other similar cases will start popping up. Somehow the combination of BB roaming and the SA network are a problem in Canada?

Feedback Score
    The BES it policy should not kick an up to date BB off ----+ I don't think?

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1, Pixel XL, Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Nexus S
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo & Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrosroaming View Post
    Somehow the combination of BB roaming and the SA network are a problem in Canada?
    As stated in an earlier post, I had a feeling that was causing it.

Feedback Score
    I expect that Rogers has recently implented some protocol changes and are not aware that its affecting some users. I would not think that they would specifically influence a roaming agreement with one of Africa's largest network. I guess that if it affects enough people then they would go look for and fix the problem --- or I am stuck with driving to the border when I want to use that phone. Kind of reminds me of a few years ago when many international phones just would not work here.