Thread: Port-Hell From Selectel to Verizon Prepaid

Device(s)
    E815 (retired)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Port-Hell From Selectel to Verizon Prepaid

Serious frustration here!!!

I had service on Selectel and because they do not support LTE or Tethering, decided to port into Verizon Wireless Prepaid on the $45/month plan.

After no activation on my iPhone 5s after 24 hours, called Verizon and found out that the number did transfer from Selectel to Verizon the day befor but some how no account was created when I started the port. This port was initiated through a voice conservation with a live person so I assume she did it correctly.

So at that point the rep created an account and an a few minutes my phone became active with a NEW number. (Funny thing was he asked me all the same questions to create the account that the lady asked me the day before). I was assured by the person who created the account that my old number would transfer a few hours after the phone became active. This did not happen so I called back and the rep tried to create a port and it was rejected. When I explained that the number already ported he said he needed to call Selectel. Selectel apparently informed him that you can't port out of Selectel!!! Well the online checker said otherwise before I tried to move and the lady who initiated the port the day before verified the portability.

I asked the rep if he could contact the porting department and he finally did after my several requests and they confirmed that Verizon had received the number the day before at 3:33PM

At that point he got technical support on the line and they opened a "ticket" to the EPS department. The Tech Support guy said that ports from some MVNOs are troublesome and this one would take 24 hours to resolve. I asked for a ticket number, and he said none was available, as it was handled as a email request.

So a few questions:
    1. Has anyone else gone through this with Verizon/Selectel
    2. What is the ESP department? Anyone ever hear of them?
    3. I have the feeling that I have been blown a lot of smoke an have lost my number. Does it seem like this to you?
    Last edited by pendetim; 03-12-2015 at 10:04 AM.

Feedback Score
    Verizon requests Selectel to release your number, and is powerless to do anything with that number until it's released. From my own experience porting out of Page Plus, when you submit an online request to port from an MVNO (and not a major carrier), the Verizon software is pre-programmed to not try to activate the new number for two business days, since the software can't tell exactly when the number is released. In your case, unless someone from Verizon is calling Selectel directly about your port, then it's in their automated system, waiting. Not knowing any of this when I initiated my port, I went to a corporate Verizon store who called "headquarters". The person he reached could see that PP had released the number, but couldn't intervene in the software-driven process once it had been started. After the two day wait, the phone activated fine with the ported number.

Carrier(s)
    guess
    Feedback Score
    The post above is correct. Just use the Selectel phone until it no longer works, keeping the verizon phone off. If it's the same phone after the phone stops working wait an hour and try to program. Same happened to me from Pageplus to Verizon post-pay. The only difference is Verizon told me when the port will go through when I called to ask why it did not port. Just wait it out. My Pageplus phone worked until 1 hour before my scheduled port time.

I also had no account number or anything before the port, even though they sent me a phone. I had to call the port dept, not customer service because they could not help without a valid phone number or account number. The port dept had my port info and told me at noon it will port, which was 2 business days from port request.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by southchatham View Post
    I also had no account number or anything before the port, even though they sent me a phone. I had to call the port dept, not customer service because they could not help without a valid phone number or account number. The port dept had my port info and told me at noon it will port, which was 2 business days from port request.
    Yep, that's the truly frustrating part. there's no way to jump into Verizon's online support systems without already have an account/number. That's what led me to the corporate store.

Device(s)
    E815 (retired)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the responses.
    The number successfully ported into the Verizon system on 3/11/2015 however it never got assigned to my phone.

I let the 24 hours the tech support person said it would take expire and called back.. After a few transfers to reconfirm the number had moved I ended back in tech support where another ticket was created to the EPS department. This was on Friday 3/13/15. This gentleman said it would take 1-2 business days to complete the fix.

So far I have spent over 3 hours on the phone and about 5 calls with Verizon trying to get this resolved. Patience is running thin..

If this is not resolved by Tuesday noon, it looks like a FCC complaint may be in order. I hear that gets their attention

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Instead of talking to technical support which is powerless to handle port issues at Verizon Wireless. You need to contact their porting department to see what is going on and why that number is not working on their system. This is number to reaching the Verizon Wireless porting department 1-888-844-7093 they should be able to help and tell you whats going on.

Device(s)
    E815 (retired)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I called the 1-888 for porting today and here is what I found:

1. The number did port into Verizon wireless a week ago. The lady in porting saw the lengthy history and said she would help.
    2. She attempted to get to a support technician and stayed on the line for about 25 miutes while waiting for someone to pick up. It turns out that that was the wrong support department.
    3. Tried another level 2 support and after another 35 minutes hold got a live person who could help.
    4. Worked with the Level 2 person for a while and discovered the following
    a. She tried to manually assign the lost number to my account. That did not work.
    b. She had to open another email ticket to the EPS group ( Non working device group ) This was the third ticket to them over a 5 day period.
    c. She volunteered that they are seeing a LOT of these problems lately. It seems that if there is a temporary number assigned to an account while the port is in progress it totally FUBARS the process. This is the same story that the last two technical support told me.

So after 8 days my old number is STILL hung up somewhere in Verizon Hell.

My takeaways on this:

If you port into Verizon DO NOT let them CREATE a TEMPORARY NUMBER if the port is in process. It my be ok if you have a number created and active and then try a port but that is speculation on my part.

Being the soft touch that I am, I will give them another day or so before I invoke the Nuclear option of the FCC.

Feedback Score
    "nuclear" rofl. . .

People lose precious numbers in the system all the time, just a roll of the dice.

Device(s)
    E815 (retired)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Well after 3 weeks I did have a successful outcome: my number was assigned to my phone and all is working.

It took 7 calls to Verizon ( over 6 hours on the phone ), 4 email tickets generated by level 2 support to the EPS group and a formal FCC complaint. On the last call to Verizon I was informed that my ported number was in fact in the Verizon data base but had been put on "reserve status"; whatever that meant.

So on 1 April I filed a FCC number port complaint, Friday about noon I received notice it was "served" on Verizon. About 2 hours later I received an email asking me to call a person in Executive Relations to discuss the problem. In the mean time over the weekend the iPhone was acting wonky and not receiving text messages but I chalked this up to random stuff.

Monday it would not call out or in so I rebooted and "awaiting activation" came up and there was my ported number.

I did call the lady back in Executive Relations and told her the story and related that some of the CS reps say they are seeing this problem 3-4 times a day. She said that this information would be passed to her team leader for investigation.

Next month I plan to move my wife to a prepaid iPhone 5 from Selectel so based on what I just learned, I think the best course is to go to a Verizon Corporate store and have them do the port. I understand in a store it only takes about 10-15 minutes.

We will see....

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Glad your got it worked out, but for it to take what it did to get a successful outcome is ridiculous.
    I sincerely hope that your wife's port goes much more smoothly.

Device(s)
    LG H631
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    A port to Google Voice is the best, safest bet to protect a number.

I learned that after many near losses of my precious number over the years.

Feedback Score
    Just an FYI, I recently did a port in a Verizon Store and they called the same number that I would have had I done it myself. At least at this particular store (a branded Verizon store, not a reseller) they didn't have any fancy way of doing a port. It took about 12 hours.