Thread: Samsung Galaxy S6/S6 Edge coming to TELUS. Pre-orders start March 5th

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Samsung Galaxy S6/S6 Edge coming to TELUS. Pre-orders start March 5th

TELUS is getting the Samsung Galaxy S6 and Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge with pre-orders starting March 5th.

Anyone thinking of picking up a GS6 or a 6 Edge?
    Last edited by howard; 03-02-2015 at 11:38 AM.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge/Various tablets
    Carrier(s)
    Telus Mobility/ "Tablet 5" + 2 Unpublished SMB plans
    Feedback Score
    A solid maybe from me.

Lack of SD card support isn't too terrible as long as you buy the 64GB or larger model. Even at 32GB the entry level is quite reasonable for storage for average use.

But I really enjoy putting a massive 7000mah extended battery in my old S3 and getting 3 days of battery life or simply setting all features to maximum power usage and not worrying about it running out of power at the end of the day. Will miss that ability in the more modern design phones that cannot swap batteries. I know the solution is basically either a battery case or a tethering to a mobile battery brick just like it has been for iphone users all these years but its not quite as easy to have two separate batteries to keep charged. Perhaps it would help to invest in wireless charge mats to keep things topped up around here. Probably good to keep wear and tear on the USB port down if I were charging that much more frequently too.

The Samsung pay with magnetic strip compatibility sounds like a clever hack. Not sure how secure that can be if they are transmitting the old fashioned magstripe tracks and how useful could it be in Canada where it's like 95% chip and pin these days. I have to think they are going to implement some kind of one time token instead of legacy magstripe track data or it's a complete joke for security. I can imagine if it's a token that it can be made to work in Canada. Especially if it's a two way handshake with the server between your phone. (Eg, if the phone requires a data connection to authorize the transaction first it's a good sign) Not like the payment feature will even likely work here for many months.

Definitely going to wait for a few months after release to see how it plays out. The HTC m9 sounds like pretty stiff competition. Not sure which device actually makes for a better owner experience right now. Have to wait and see. Likely the real word battery life experiences will be something that can break the decision one way or another.
    Clearnet Digital PCS

We think everyone should be able to afford a wireless phone. That's why we were the first wireless company in North America to offer pay-by-the-second airtime, and why we don't charge an activation fee. NO scary contract to sign. Immediate national coverage. And a 30-day satisfaction guarantee. Yes, it's finally time to get a wireless phone.
    f u t u r e . f r i e n d l y

Best viewed with Netscape 3.0 at 800 x 600 resolution.

Device(s)
    LG V30
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I'm leaning toward the edge but there are some hurdles to get over in my mind. Like Que_Ball said, no microsd and no removable battery is tough to get past. On the other hand wireless charging will help there and as long as I can get through the day I always charge overnight anyway. Also with only 2 year contracts now it's one less year that I need to worry about changing the battery. The memory issue will depend on what the prices are like. I saw some prices from other carriers and there is quite a premium for the edge and the extra memory is extra bucks for sure. With preorders on Thursday we should be hearing prices soon.

My other concern for the edge will be cases. Not the silly ones that samsung has but something from Otterbox or the like. I need protection for my phone at work and it will be interesting to see how they enclose the phone while still keeping the edge visible.

Device(s)
    LG V30
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    not 7000 but something to start with

http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/2/813...case-announced

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge/Various tablets
    Carrier(s)
    Telus Mobility/ "Tablet 5" + 2 Unpublished SMB plans
    Feedback Score
    I guess that is one more point in the favour of Samsung. Even if the HTC is a better device the volume of sales on the Samsung phones means they tend to have much better selection and availability of accessories like this battery case frozenbutt linked to.

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1 / Apple iPhone X
    Feedback Score

Device(s)
    T-Mobile Sidekick LX 09 (Carbon)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA/Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    As a nexus 5 owner, I'm used to no removeable battery and only flash internal storage. I would like to get the edge but it seems that only black and white are options currently. The green or even the gold would be more to my liking.
    rHG3|

Device(s)
    LG V30
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Well they aren't giving them away. It's a 100 bucks more for the 64gb edge over the regular s6. $460.00 hmm at least Fido is giving a free charging pad with theirs

Device(s)
    LG V30
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Well I ended up getting a note 4. I can add my microsd card and change the battery if I need to and I don't have to bleed my wallet dry to get it

Device(s)
    V65E4710, A3LSMG925W8, PDNRM-975, IHDT56PG3, QMNRM-11, L6ARCV70UW, L6ARJE180LW
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Bell, SpeakOut, CSL, au by KDDI
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Folks,

It appears they have got 9GB of stuff inside, so the 32GB models will leave us 23GB of accessible space...
    --

HC - NO "i"
    I am NOT "the" HC, we are TWO different individuals!

"If we amplify everything, we hear nothing!" - Jon Stewart, Comedian

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    the only reason why i would get it is to resell the phone for profit.
    but that's only if i get to keep my SASK55 plan
    otherwise, the oneplus is more than enough
    $55 500 minutes 5pm E/W 5GB nationwide my10 unlimited SMS caller ID