Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Samsung announces the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,431
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

    Samsung announces the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge

    Samsung just announced successors to the Galaxy S5, the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge. They're almost identical but the 6 Edge's screen curves down on the sides. Here's a quick comparison of the GS5, GS6 and GS6 Edge.

    Samsung Galaxy S5 Samsung Galaxy S6 Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge
    Display 5.1" 1920x1080 Super AMOLED, Gorill Glass 3 5.1" 2560x1440 Super AMOLED, Gorill Glass 4 5.1" 2560x1440 Curved Super AMOLED, Gorill Glass 4
    SoC Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 2.5Ghz 2.1Ghz quad-core Cortex-A57+ 1.5Ghz quad-core Cortext A53 2.1Ghz quad-core Cortex-A57+ 1.5Ghz quad-core Cortext A53
    RAM 2GB, LPDDR3 3GB, LPDDR4 3GB, LPDDR4
    Storage 16GB 32/64/128GB 32/64/128GB
    Cameras 16MP/2MP 16MP OIS/5MP 16MP OIS/5MP
    MicroSD Yes No No
    USB 3.0 2.0 2.0
    Included cloud storage 50GB Dropbox/2yrs 115GB OneDrive/2yrs 115GB OneDrive/2yrs
    charging optional, wireless fast charging, WPC and PMA wireless built-in fast charging, WPC and PMA wireless built-in
    Battery removable 2800mAh built-in 2550mAh built-in 2600mAh
    water resistant yes no no
    body material plastic metal metal
    dimensions 142 x 72.5 x 8.1mm, 145g 143.4 x 70.5 x 6.8mm, 138g 142.1 x 70.1 x 7.0mm, 132g

    The big difference is that Samsung has ditched the plastic body for metal. The screen is higher resolution though I doubt it looks any sharper than the GS5's - they're just keeping up with the competition in this regard. 3GB of RAM is a nice upgrade plus it's faster DDR4 RAM instead of DDR3. The camera now has optical image stabilization while the front-facing camera has been bumped to 5 megapixels.

    One of Samsung's calling cards is that their phones come with memory card slots. So I was surprised that Samsung has followed Apple's strategy and ditched the memory card slot. You can get the GS6/6 Edge with 32/64 or 128GB of UFS 2.0 (a faster type of built-in storage). Fortunately, the base 32GB model is already a good size unlike the 16GB iPhone 6 and 6 Plus which are way too small and should never have been introduced to the market.

    Another big change is that the battery is now built-in. In fact, while the GS5 comes with a 2800mAh battery, the GS6 comes only comes with a 2550 while 6 Edge, a 2600mAh battery. I'm guessing that since the battery will probably last the day, that's enough for Samsung.

    Finally, unlike the GS5, the GS6 and 6 Edge aren't water resistant. This is a real shame, I'm guessing Samsung will make a GS6 Active later that is water resistant - this actually makes more sense as it was kind of hard to describe the difference between the GS5 and GS5 Active.

    All, in all, except for the removal of removable battery, storage and to a lesser extent, the smaller battery there aren't any real big surprises. I guess the lack of a Qualcomm SoC is a bit of a surprise but this isn't something a user is going to notice.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    Posts
    1,530
    Device(s)
    Nexus 6, SHIELD TV, SHIELD K1, Acer Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    I may take one of these depending on rumors of an S6 Active or the LG G4.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2,422
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Lumia 635, Nokia 6350
    Carrier(s)
    Mint, Tello, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    I'm also surprised to hear about the lack of micro SD and removable battery. So many Samsung owners I know routinely pooh-pooh other manufacturers' phones for lacking these two features. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mmoose View Post
    I'm also surprised to hear about the lack of micro SD and removable battery. So many Samsung owners I know routinely pooh-pooh other manufacturers' phones for lacking these two features. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.
    We are a 100% Samsung household and one is a deal breaker and the other one is pretty close.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    8,914
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Looks nice overall but I'm a little disappointed with non removable battery and no card. I was really starting to get into Samsung phones but may check out the LG g4 when it comes out instead. Neither battery or card is an instant deal breaker for me but they will cause me to wait and see what the competition is doing. Slightly weaker battery than the s5 is a little surprising. Unless the LG g4 really stinks I'm leaning towards that. My buddys lg g3 is a great phone

    Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 via the HowardForums WP7 App

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    GTA
    Posts
    1,112
    Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    I picked up a note 4 about a week ago, and the only reason I was second guessing that purchase was that I knew this announcement was coming. Boy am I glad I didn't wait! Talk about taking several steps backwards!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Have lived in many different cities throughout the US, mostly West Coast, East Coast, and South
    Posts
    422
    Device(s)
    Huawei Nexus 6P, Nexus 4, Honor 5X; ZTE ZMax Pro; Moto X, E; Galaxy S6; iPhone 6 Plus, 4; Lumia 520
    Carrier(s)
    Haha! Tried them all, you name it, most likely I've tried it
    Feedback Score
    0
    The new S6 looks as much like a downgrade as an upgrade. Battery capacity is downgraded from 2800mAh to 2550mAh. USB speed is downgraded from 3.0 to 2.0. Support for microSD card slot and removable batteries are eliminated. Water resistance feature also eliminated. I hope Samsung doesn't charge more for this "upgrade".

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,212
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by flyguyset View Post
    The new S6 looks as much like a downgrade as an upgrade. Battery capacity is downgraded from 2800mAh to 2550mAh. USB speed is downgraded from 3.0 to 2.0. Support for microSD card slot and removable batteries are eliminated. Water resistance feature also eliminated. I hope Samsung doesn't charge more for this "upgrade".
    Water resistant is useless. As long as it's not waterproof you are taking a risk putting it near water.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    Posts
    1,530
    Device(s)
    Nexus 6, SHIELD TV, SHIELD K1, Acer Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by flyguyset View Post
    The new S6 looks as much like a downgrade as an upgrade. Battery capacity is downgraded from 2800mAh to 2550mAh. USB speed is downgraded from 3.0 to 2.0. Support for microSD card slot and removable batteries are eliminated. Water resistance feature also eliminated. I hope Samsung doesn't charge more for this "upgrade".
    Storage speed is upgraded, CPU speed is upgraded, RAM speed is upgraded, screen is upgraded, wireless charging is upgraded, new payment technology with magnetic stripe compatibility (that's a hardware feature), speaker is upgraded (for what it's worth anyway). Seems like more had been upgraded. I can live without an SD slot. I am wary of the smaller battery though, want to see some battery life tests.

    Sent from my Sony Xperia Z3 using Tapatalk.
    This is my signature. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my signature is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,948
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
    Storage speed is upgraded, CPU speed is upgraded, RAM speed is upgraded, screen is upgraded, wireless charging is upgraded, new payment technology with magnetic stripe compatibility (that's a hardware feature), speaker is upgraded (for what it's worth anyway). Seems like more had been upgraded. I can live without an SD slot. I am wary of the smaller battery though, want to see some battery life tests.

    Sent from my Sony Xperia Z3 using Tapatalk.
    It appears you're using a Z3. You're giving that up for the S6?

    I gave my Z3 up for the Nexus 6, then gave that up for Note 4. Loving my decision. I actually like having the removable battery and micro SD slot so I'm hoping Samsung keeps these features in the next iteration of the Note series. Maybe a way to differentiate them other than just the S Pen and small screen size bump. I do feel that the Note 4 running Touchwiz feels a lot slower than what I am seeing from journalists and bloggers experience with the S6 and S6 Edge. I'm not sure if that is the optimization Samsung has done with Touchwiz to decrease bloat by 40%, the octa core processor, Lollipop, or a combination of the above. I hope they can decrease the lag when they bring the Lollipop update for the Note 4.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    Posts
    1,530
    Device(s)
    Nexus 6, SHIELD TV, SHIELD K1, Acer Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by coorey View Post
    It appears you're using a Z3. You're giving that up for the S6?

    I gave my Z3 up for the Nexus 6, then gave that up for Note 4. Loving my decision. I actually like having the removable battery and micro SD slot so I'm hoping Samsung keeps these features in the next iteration of the Note series. Maybe a way to differentiate them other than just the S Pen and small screen size bump. I do feel that the Note 4 running Touchwiz feels a lot slower than what I am seeing from journalists and bloggers experience with the S6 and S6 Edge. I'm not sure if that is the optimization Samsung has done with Touchwiz to decrease bloat by 40%, the octa core processor, Lollipop, or a combination of the above. I hope they can decrease the lag when they bring the Lollipop update for the Note 4.
    I'm contemplating replacing the Z3, yeah. The Z3 lacks wireless charging, and also has a fairly poor accessory ecosystem. It's also missing quite a few international bands (I travel periodically). No removable battery but the Z3's battery is pretty large. And the screen on the Z3 is almost as good as a SAMOLED, which I actually think are the best screens around (too bad they're attached to the worst UI around). I' hoping Sammy's speaker is louder, the speakers on the Z3 are stereo but not all that loud, and get muffled when trying to ring into my leg. Unintended downside of front mounted speakers.

    I'm really interested in Samsung's magnetic payment tech, and the side-firing speaker (I'd love to see them to stereo side-firing speakers like in the Tab S). The screen looks sweet but I'll need to put Nova on it.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    342
    Feedback Score
    0
    No removable memory card, no removable battery, and no water resistance make these new Samsung Galaxy S6 phones undesirable. Will not be buying them or recommending them.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Berkeley and Miami
    Posts
    4,784
    Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    0
    First HTC emulated Apple by not having replaceable battery (or SD slot) - lost lots of sales. They did bring back SD slot but not replaceable battery.
    Now S6 is emulating Apple in this regards. I always carry a backup battery in my wallet - mostly for peace of mind as I use it less than once a month. They should have introed wireless charging w. the S5 (if not earlier). That tech has been around a long time. No S6 for me.
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    8 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text, data. TM One plan. Get $10/mo. rebate on 7 lines for low data use. Net cost about $185-190/mo. We haven't had a landline in more than 17 years.

Similar Threads

  1. Samsung announces the Galaxy S5
    By howard in forum Android
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-24-2014, 03:08 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-06-2013, 09:41 AM
  3. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 09-15-2012, 01:53 AM
  4. Samsung announces the Galaxy Note 10.1
    By howard in forum Android
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-16-2012, 01:06 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-30-2012, 12:34 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks