Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Switching iPhones

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    400
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    0

    Switching iPhones

    I have an iPhone 5s that I recently got and want another 5s but in a different color. Can I sell my 5s and buy one off eBay and just pop my sim into it and everything will work or do I have to call Verizon and have them activate it

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Panama City
    Posts
    380
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    0
    You should just have to replace the sim after you back up to iTunes and then restore on the new phone.

    Or better yet many dealers have backs of many colors



    via the HoFo App

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,282
    Device(s)
    Moto G4, Novatel 7730L, ZTE Mobley, StarTAC
    Carrier(s)
    Viaero, Commnet, VZW, AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    swap sim cards the the service is effectively transferred right then and there. no need to call VZW.

    You'll still need to make an itunes backup of your existing phone, then restore that backup to the new iphone (assuming you want all your iphone stuff to transfer over too). I think icloud works too, but the manual usb backup is probably faster and more copious.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,008
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nhlfreak View Post
    I have an iPhone 5s that I recently got and want another 5s but in a different color. Can I sell my 5s and buy one off eBay and just pop my sim into it and everything will work
    Yes you can.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    400
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    I can sell my phone and get another even if I'm on a 2 contract? It won't affect anything


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,008
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nhlfreak View Post
    I can sell my phone and get another even if I'm on a 2 contract? It won't affect anything
    That is correct. You can put any phone you want on your line. You just have to keep paying for your line for the 2 years of the contract or pay the ETF.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    156
    Feedback Score
    0
    Yes, do the backup on itunes, swap the SIM.
    Also helps if the phone you buy isn't stolen.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    400
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by BarbaraUDP View Post
    That is correct. You can put any phone you want on your line. You just have to keep paying for your line for the 2 years of the contract or pay the ETF.
    So as long as I keep paying monthly got my line until my contract is over I can switch over to any phone I want like the iPhone 6 ?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,008
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nhlfreak View Post
    So as long as I keep paying monthly got my line until my contract is over I can switch over to any phone I want like the iPhone 6 ?
    Yes, you just paraphrased what I said. You can have any phone you want on your line. Why did you ever think you couldn't?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    400
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by BarbaraUDP View Post
    Yes, you just paraphrased what I said. You can have any phone you want on your line. Why did you ever think you couldn't?
    I was told by some people that your not allowed to do it until your contract ends and that I'll get charged extra

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,008
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nhlfreak View Post
    I was told by some people that your not allowed to do it until your contract ends and that I'll get charged extra
    Ok well they are wrong. In fact, the terms of the block C licenses prevents Verizon from doing that. But why would Verizon want to do it anyhow? What would there be for Verizon to gain by not letting you put a different phone on your line? Makes no sense.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    400
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by BarbaraUDP View Post
    Ok well they are wrong. In fact, the terms of the block C licenses prevents Verizon from doing that. But why would Verizon want to do it anyhow? What would there be for Verizon to gain by not letting you put a different phone on your line? Makes no sense.
    Not sure why they said that, but anyways thanks for your help

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,008
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nhlfreak View Post
    Not sure why they said that, but anyways thanks for your help
    You are welcome! It sounds like whoever you asked believes that if you put a different phone on your line other than the one you got with your subsidized upgrade that you will be charged the ETF. No, no, no, that is wrong. Don't take any advice from those people on how things work on Verizon, lol!

Similar Threads

  1. Switching iphone for white G1. Going to sell my iphone
    By cpugeek in forum Phone Battle and Comparison
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-01-2009, 03:09 PM
  2. Switching iPhone SIM to RAZR2
    By richv77 in forum Apple
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-17-2008, 05:53 PM
  3. Switch iPhone SIM to GoPhone?
    By amcgillian in forum Apple
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-18-2008, 09:52 AM
  4. IMEI switched, iPhone unltd data now?
    By LDN2012 in forum Rogers/Fido/Chat-r
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-12-2008, 12:05 AM
  5. Switching iPhone SIM into Nokia 6300
    By mcdj in forum AT&T
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-10-2007, 05:11 AM

Bookmarks