Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

CDMA iPhone 5c - unlocked SIM for using overseas?

I read via engadget in an older article that iPhone 5(s) had unlocked SIM cards, so you could purchase a local nano SIM when traveling to easily use your phone overseas.

Anyone know if this is the case for the 5c as well?

Phone
    iPhone 8
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    What provider is the 5c from originally? If it is from Verizon, then yes. It is already unlocked.

Phone
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    SIM cards are not locked. Telephones are locked to accept the SIM cards from specific carriers. In the case of Verizon telephones, which have the ability to operate on LTE Band 13 (700c), the SIM card slot will accept any SIM card. One has to make sure that the telephone has the bands needed for use on the foreign carrier. The LTE bands needed may not be present but the GSM bands and the UMTS bands should work worldwide.

Based upon the Original Poster's profile, the telephone may be Sprint-Based. It might not be unlocked unless requested for international use.
    Last edited by efparri; 02-27-2015 at 08:38 AM.
    Earl F. Parrish

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The phone in question is a Verizon based phone. I know that my 4S wilt accept SIMs from overseas providers. There's a way to have Verizon unlock this block; but you have to have an act with them in good standing to do it. I've been off big red for years. On Page Plus now.

Phone
    iPhone 7 Plus 128 GB
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    To expand on what motorcycle mama has already said, all Verizon LTE phones, including the iPhone 5c, are already unlocked for GSM use, foreign or domestic. You don't need to do anything except put in a SIM card.

Carrier
    AT&T or compatible
    Feedback Score

CDMA iPhone 5c - unlocked SIM for using overseas?

Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
    To expand on what motorcycle mama has already said, all Verizon LTE phones, including the iPhone 5c, are already unlocked for GSM use, foreign or domestic. You don't need to do anything except put in a SIM card.
    You are correct, with the exception of the Verizon iPhone 5 doesn't have the LTE bands necessary to work domestically outside of Verizon. The 5C forward has all the LTE bands necessary.

via the HoFo App
    Q: Would you patronize a streetwalker?

A: No, I would treat her as an equal.

Feedback Score
    WRT the OP - overseas usage - yes any VZW iPhone will work with SIM cards overseas. Should even be OK for data up to 3G. Overseas LTE (if available at all) would most likely require a local-market phone, but with iPhones you might even get that.

Phone
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    My daughter just went to London for a semester and took my old Verizon iPhone 5s. She simply popped in a prepaid SIM from a UK carrier and was up and running immediately. The 5c is the same with respect to the unlocked GSM side.

Phone
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    SIM cards are not locked.
    Actually SIMs *can* be locked, but that is a different lock than the phone-SIM lock.

Some SIMs (for example, eKit int'l roaming SIMs), have a PIN lock. You get 3 tries then the SIM is locked up for good. Its a theft-protection lock as opposed to a subsidy lock.

And w.r.t. Verizon iphones, now *all* Verizon iPhones that can accept a GSM SIM are unlocked for GSM usage, *including domestic GSM (AT&T and Tmo) as well as overseas.

Phone
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I was correct in the context of the Original Poster's statement.