Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Contract user refuses to pay

Feedback Score

Exclamation Contract user refuses to pay

We were part of an AT&T family plan with a relative in another state. He was recently hospitalized with terminal cancer and has let his plan lapse. As part of his most recent two-year contract, he obtained an iPhone 5 for my use. I paid $200 for it, the discounted rate under his two-year contract. The contact still has 10 months to run (he stopped paying in December, two months ago), so actually it had a year left under his contract.

What is my obligation with this phone? Can I use it if I start a new contract with AT&T under my own name? Can I use it on a non-contract (monthly) plan with AT&T? Can I use it with another cell company? I like the phone and do not want my $200 to be wasted.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    If you want to continue to use the telephone, you have to keep the line active and up to date. You can reduce that lines cost to the bare minimum but if the account lapses, any telephone associated with a contract will be blacklisted. You could have worded the thread's title in a more sympathetic manner.
    Earl F. Parrish

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quacque View Post
    We were part of an AT&T family plan with a relative in another state. He was recently hospitalized with terminal cancer and has let his plan lapse. As part of his most recent two-year contract, he obtained an iPhone 5 for my use. I paid $200 for it, the discounted rate under his two-year contract. The contact still has 10 months to run (he stopped paying in December, two months ago), so actually it had a year left under his contract.
    Who owns the account? Who was/is paying the bill? Is the account in default? Has anything at all been paid on the account in 2 months? Have the lines been disconnected?

What is my obligation with this phone? Can I use it if I start a new contract with AT&T under my own name?
    Answer the questions above please.

Can I use it on a non-contract (monthly) plan with AT&T? Can I use it with another cell company? I like the phone and do not want my $200 to be wasted.
    Again, answer the questions above.

Feedback Score

info

Quote Originally Posted by BarbaraUDP View Post
    Who owns the account? Who was/is paying the bill? Is the account in default? Has anything at all been paid on the account in 2 months? Have the lines been disconnected?.
    My brother-in-law has the account. We found out yesterday that someone has paid the bill ($1,600) to reactivate his phone, but my wife's phone was not reactivate with it. Since he is unable to pay himself, we believe that a member of his church has dome this. All the lines were disconnected, and all still seem to be.

Feedback Score
    Have the whole account transferred to your name, pay the bill yourself.

Feedback Score

Contract user refuses to pay

You can use the phone as you wish. You sure do hate your brother in law. Just look at how you titles this thread.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My brother-in-law has the account.
    Then he owns the lines and the associated phone numbers and your wife will not be able to reactivate her phone number or assume liability on her line w/o your BIL's consent. Tell her to ask her brother to release her line to her so that she can assume liability on the line.

We found out yesterday that someone has paid the bill ($1,600) to reactivate his phone, but my wife's phone was not reactivate with it.
    I am a bit confused since in your OP you stated that it was your line and now it is your wife's line. Were both you and your wife on a family share with your BIL or just your wife?

Since he is unable to pay himself, we believe that a member of his church has dome this. All the lines were disconnected, and all still seem to be.
    I thought you said your BIL's line was reconnected?

Regardless, if the account is in the name of your BIL, he owns the lines and there is nothing you can do to switch the lines to you w/o his consent.

Regarding the iP5 - if the bill has been paid including the ETF on the line whose upgrade was used to purchase the iP5, then AT&T won't blacklist it and will even unlock it for you to use on another carrier. Go here, type in the IMEI of the device and request an unlock as a non-ATT Mobility customer and see if they will unlock it.

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/

You also can go here to determine if the phone has been blacklisted:

www.swappa.com/esn

After your BIL's death, you could try to submit a death certificate to AT&T and see if they will release the lines to you but if they have been disconnected more than 49 days, the phone numbers are put back out there for others to take.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by aokusman View Post
    You can use the phone as you wish.
    Only if the ETF were paid - if it were not paid, then AT&T will blacklist the IMEI.

Quote Originally Posted by aokusman View Post
    You sure do hate your brother in law. Just look at how you titles this thread.
    Just reading b/t the lines here but I am guessing that OP was giving the BIL money for the phone bill each month and BIL wasn't paying it and instead spending the money on other things.

Also, some people deserve to be hated, you don't know what the BIL is like. Just b/c the BIL is dying doesn't mean he wasn't a jerk. Although you wouldn't think that they would be on a family share with the BIL if they hated him.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    Have the whole account transferred to your name, pay the bill yourself.
    He can only do that if BIL is willing to release the lines to him to assume liability on.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The Original Poster started a similar thread on another website.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    The Original Poster started a similar thread on another website.
    Is that a problem?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The other forum gives more information about the amount of money involved. The Original Poster seems to be more concerned about having a dead telephone than having a dead brother-in-law. I would have more sympathy for someone who got a new contract and gave me the telephone.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    The other forum gives more information about the amount of money involved. The Original Poster seems to be more concerned about having a dead telephone than having a dead brother-in-law. I would have more sympathy for someone who got a new contract and gave me the telephone.
    Idk which forum you are talking about so I am only going on the facts presented here. OP didn't say here who is paying the bill. If I was giving someone money to pay a phone bill and they weren't paying it, I would be pissed. Having cancer doesn't entitle you to do that to someone else.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Here is the URL:
    http://cellphoneforums.net/att/t3788...#axzz3T4sgXaG1

I am sure that the first thing one thinks of when the paramedics rush in to take you away is "Wait while I find all the bills so that I can pay them while I am on my deathbed."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BarbaraUDP View Post
    Idk which forum you are talking about so I am only going on the facts presented here. OP didn't say here who is paying the bill. If I was giving someone money to pay a phone bill and they weren't paying it, I would be pissed. Having cancer doesn't entitle you to do that to someone else.
    You have more sympathy for red heads.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast