Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: When did iPhone unlocks get so cheap?

Feedback Score
    The same thing has happened recently with Lumias. Last month it was $50+ to unlock most of them. This month $4 on eBay.

Device(s)
    V65E4710, A3LSMG925W8, PDNRM-975, IHDT56PG3, QMNRM-11, L6ARCV70UW, L6ARJE180LW
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Bell, SpeakOut, CSL, au by KDDI
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Folks,

I have seen many people getting the same batches of trouble here and there while some have got what they want.

And, this is the first time I witnessed first hand the almighty Apple could actually RELOCK the supposedly unlocked iPhones!

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-02-22 at 01.43.34.jpg
Views: 1084
Size:  29.9 KB

So whether or not your iPhone is currently being unlocked, I strongly recommend you to invest another US$3 to check iPhone Network/Lock Check/Activation status. It will give you all the vital details of your iPhone and more importantly, the SIM lock status beyond any doubt. No need to factory reset, no changing SIM card, no iTunes activation, etc. Of course, calling Apple to find out as ceredon has done may be free. However, a concrete proof for those of us who need to get refund from the unlockers.

Wish everyone has either got the iPhone really unlocked AND not being relocked. Otherwise, try to get the money back.
    --

HC - NO "i"
    I am NOT "the" HC, we are TWO different individuals!

"If we amplify everything, we hear nothing!" - Jon Stewart, Comedian

Feedback Score
    Curious to see if they will audit all the recent unlocks and re lock them.. I have a few friends that will be pissed lol

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shushwap View Post
    Curious to see if they will audit all the recent unlocks and re lock them.. I have a few friends that will be pissed lol
    They will never do that. Prior to sep 2013 iphone unlocks were $2.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aokusman View Post
    They will never do that. Prior to sep 2013 iphone unlocks were $2.
    Where were they ever that cheap?
    Unlocked iPhone XS Max 256GB, Unlocked JetBlack 128GB iPhone 7Plus, Unlocked 64GB iPhone 6, unlocked 32GB iPhone 5 (AWS), unlocked 16GB iPhone 4
    $60/10GB Unlimited Canada-wide anytime minutes, Unlimited international messaging (SMS/MMS) CD, VM

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ceredon View Post
    Where were they ever that cheap?
    Att unlocks were around that $4 or so I think if my hazy memory serves me lol

Feedback Score
    I got mine done back on the 5th or 6th and confirmed with multiple SIMs within the next couple days that it was unlocked. I also called Apple directly and asked them to confirm, explaining that I had my carrier unlock it and wanted to verify they hadn't screwed it up somehow. They confirmed it was properly unlocked. I've been checking every few days with a foreign SIM since the hubbub over relocks started and it still seems fine.
    So after calling Apple all they needed was your phone info and they were able to confirm that all is well and there shouldn't be any future re-locking problems? Maybe I should do the same just to ensure that everything looks good on their end.

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneColdGB View Post
    So after calling Apple all they needed was your phone info and they were able to confirm that all is well and there shouldn't be any future re-locking problems? Maybe I should do the same just to ensure that everything looks good on their end.

via the HoFo App
    i didn't ask about relocks. I called and explained I was going to be travelling and needed assurances that my carrier had properly and fully unlocked my phone since I didn't want to be trapped overseas with a locked phone. He looked some stuff up and verified it all looked normal and that it was fully and completely unlocked.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shushwap View Post
    Att unlocks were around that $4 or so I think if my hazy memory serves me lol
    Yup, even cheaper in some cases.

But I don't recall ever seeing it below $100 in Canada until the last few months and never below $30 until early this month.
    Last edited by ceredon; 02-25-2015 at 08:04 AM.

Feedback Score
    i didn't ask about relocks. I called and explained I was going to be travelling and needed assurances that my carrier had properly and fully unlocked my phone since I didn't want to be trapped overseas with a locked phone. He looked some stuff up and verified it all looked normal and that it was fully and completely unlocked.
    Is there such as thing as not fully unlocked?

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aokusman View Post
    Is there such as thing as not fully unlocked?
    Apparently, yes. The phone can be unlocked but the "next tether policy" might not be set correctly which would result it in locking on the next restore. That appears to be what happened to at least some of the people that went through the unlocker I used. Also, it seems that Rogers might have audited and reverted the locks in some cases.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HC - NO "i" View Post
    Folks,

I have seen many people getting the same batches of trouble here and there while some have got what they want.

And, this is the first time I witnessed first hand the almighty Apple could actually RELOCK the supposedly unlocked iPhones!

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-02-22 at 01.43.34.jpg
Views: 1084
Size:  29.9 KB

So whether or not your iPhone is currently being unlocked, I strongly recommend you to invest another US$3 to check iPhone Network/Lock Check/Activation status. It will give you all the vital details of your iPhone and more importantly, the SIM lock status beyond any doubt. No need to factory reset, no changing SIM card, no iTunes activation, etc. Of course, calling Apple to find out as ceredon has done may be free. However, a concrete proof for those of us who need to get refund from the unlockers.

Wish everyone has either got the iPhone really unlocked AND not being relocked. Otherwise, try to get the money back.
    I'm not sure anyone was surprised that Apple unlocks could be reversed, since it's all network/database driven. In the case, it doesn't seem like it's Apple that is going in and reversing the unlocks but that Rogers might be using their tools to reverse ones they don't believe were legitimately processed through them.

In the end, if that is the case, they even with paying for verification or with verification from Apple, it would still be possible for Rogers to re-apply the lock.

Device(s)
    V65E4710, A3LSMG925W8, PDNRM-975, IHDT56PG3, QMNRM-11, L6ARCV70UW, L6ARJE180LW
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Bell, SpeakOut, CSL, au by KDDI
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    ceredon,

It is more apparent that Rogers is reversing that, including the one fellow Howard has (which is totally not related to this round of mess). Apple may not care much of that but I am surprised is that the mechanism it provides to the network operators can be this flexible. Unlike other handsets that use numeric codes, relocking them may not be as this flexible.

As for the relocking that could still be happened even we check with Apple, the case with Howard is a prime example. I do want to go to specifics (unless he post it lol), but his unit was a factory unlocked one from Apple right at launch. But when Rogers is doing an audit a few months later, lock is applied accordingly to the account rate plan terms attached to it.

Either way, in the cases which 3rd party unlockers are involved, getting the refund often requires proof. We might never need it at all if we are not going to get the money back. I find the detail screenshots that show the SIM lock status, tethering policies are more convincing and less inconvenient.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HC - NO "i" View Post
    ceredon,

It is more apparent that Rogers is reversing that, including the one fellow Howard has (which is totally not related to this round of mess). Apple may not care much of that but I am surprised is that the mechanism it provides to the network operators can be this flexible. Unlike other handsets that use numeric codes, relocking them may not be as this flexible.
    I was a little surprised that the carriers had the access to relock as well, though not surprised it was possible in and of itself. But on further thought, I guess it makes sense that if Apple has given them the access to unlock their phones, they have access to relock them. Don't like it, but it makes sense.

Feedback Score
    Apparently, yes. The phone can be unlocked but the "next tether policy" might not be set correctly which would result it in locking on the next restore. That appears to be what happened to at least some of the people that went through the unlocker I used. Also, it seems that Rogers might have audited and reverted the locks in some cases.

What is that "next tether policy"? On rfd they mentioned to avoid doing any phone restore as it would re-lock your phone. As a test I backed up and then restored my phone and it didn't re-lock.

via the HoFo App

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast