Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mobilicity seeking financing for auction; seeking credit extension until May 2015

Carrier(s)
    Koodo Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Amazing how when a company is totally broke they can get funding. Using a separate company is interesting though....
    MCCANS

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by underrated View Post
    Does the LG Optimus 4X HD LG P880g?
    I was talking in a general sense. I am sure that there are models that don't support AWS LTE. My point is the Mobi AWS would be better than the AWS-3 at this point.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    BooHooHooHoo
    My phone is just over two years old, and it is not "current" anymore.
    I just turned 80 - where does that leave me? (Unless you've got a "nice" answer, don't answer.....)

Serious question:
    If (When) a Wireless Service Provider using AWS goes LTE, will that mean better signal strength and penetration than the current signal, OR will it affect only data?
    If the latter, I won't need a new phone after all . . . .
    Last edited by underrated; 01-27-2015 at 10:56 AM.
    John <><

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by underrated View Post
    BooHooHooHoo
    My phone is just over two years old, and it is not "current" anymore.
    I just turned 80 - where does that leave me? (Unless you've got a "nice" answer, don't answer.....)

Serious question:
    If (When) a Wireless Service Provider using AWS goes LTE, will that mean better signal strength and penetration than the current signal, OR will it affect only data?
    If the latter, I won't need a new phone after all . . . .
    If WIND gains access to Mobi's AWS spectrum they will continue offering HSPA on some of their AWS spectrum and begin to offer LTE on some of their AWS spectrum.

The end result would be:
    - LTE devices on the network (iPhones, HTC & Samsung flagships of the last year, Nexus 5/6 and a few others) will pick up LTE and experience an immediate speed boost. Since these are typically higher-end devices they are also the biggest data hogs.
    - HSPA-only devices will experience an immediate relief of congestion. With the data hogs free to pig out on a separate network, there would presumably be less "downtown, full signal, no data!" problems.
    - Signal penetration will not improve for any physics-related reason, however they may inherit some tower locations from Mobi that improve coverage.
    - The relief of congestion may marginally improve signal penetration because of "cell breathing" - overloaded towers will shrink their coverage areas to deal with a more manageable workload, so with less overload coverage expands again.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key2
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    So, let me see if I've got this straight: Mobilicity raised $35M debt on top of the $30M it raised in September, 1803 (well, it feels that long!), and they intend to use this as a deposit for the auction providing that a 3rd party steps up and pays the bidding? They may get an extension out of it but will someone really want to invest that much money in Mobilicity with such a bleak outlook on return?

Tenuous and desperate at best, but I wish them luck.

Feedback Score
    But what is the point? I might be misunderstanding the auction, but can't wind just come over the top and bid more than they have secured? Say..... 66m and still gain all the spectrum? Or will the government say it needs to be split between the two participating companies?

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key2
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slewing View Post
    But what is the point? I might be misunderstanding the auction, but can't wind just come over the top and bid more than they have secured? Say..... 66m and still gain all the spectrum? Or will the government say it needs to be split between the two participating companies?
    The money that Mobilicity has raised so far is just the deposit for the auction. There is a minimum bid but I'm not sure how much that is for the whole allotment but I would imagine it far exceeds the $65M Mobilicity has raised so far for the deposit, it wouldn't buy much. But if WIND's investors are as serious as Tony claims they are then yes, it would probably be pretty simple for WIND to outbid Mobilicity although they'd probably rather not of course.

About 6 months before the 700MHz auction Bitove was bragging at having raised $250M from investors, with more to come, that was set aside specifically for that auction. Anyone have any idea what happened to it? I've always wondered.

Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    $65 mln / 160k customers. That's over $400 per customer. Even at that low price it would be hard to recoup the cost, never mind make a profit from the current customer base. Yeah yeah, I know, growth projections and such...

Carrier(s)
    Koodo Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have always wondered what's going on with that Feenix...wireless (John Bitove) well.

Sent from my Z30 using HowardForums

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    There is no splitting / sharing of the block

The whole auction has 2 blocks up for grabs. 50Mhz in total

Block #1 - 30 Mhz ~ New Entrants Only
    Block #2 - 20 Mhz ~ Anyone

If Wind wanted to, they could theoretically take all 50Mhz but RBT can only bid on the 20Mhz.
    This also means, Wind could compete for the open block in Quebec if they wanted to...

There's so many possible scenerios!
    T-Mobile
    $30 Simple Choice North America 10 GB

T-Mobile
    $3 Pay by the Day

Device(s)
    Nokia 5800
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MCCANS View Post
    Amazing how when a company is totally broke they can get funding. Using a separate company is interesting though....
    The investor giving them the money knows what the spectrum is worth, and is probably using Mobi just to get that slice of the spectrum.

Mobi goes bankrupt? Guess who has dibs on it.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Maybe but they created a second company...would they be able to take it?

Carrier(s)
    FreedomMobile
    Feedback Score
    May be the Investor is Verizon

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z30, Blackberry Q10, Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So far Wind has not been willing to make serious bids for spectrum
    And Mobi putting up a bid along with regionals & Videotron could seriously hurt Winds chances

Thats why the pro-Wind fanboys want Mobi to die
    It is sad I need to state the obvious but some people just don't get it. Any posts I make are my own OPINIONS and in no way represent the views of my employer

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MCCANS View Post
    Maybe but they created a second company...would they be able to take it?

They created a subsidiary specifically to bid and own the spectrum (if they win any). That new corporate entity is probably not subject to the current creditor protection arrangements allowing it to be parcelled off separately from any further descent into bankruptcy by the parent Mobi.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast