Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Why is everyone excited about Voicestream launching in California?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    2,507
    Feedback Score
    0

    Why is everyone excited about Voicestream launching in California?

    Do people really think that Voicestream's coverage and capacity is going to be better than Cingular's when VS launches in California?
    If so, you people failed to read the fine print or misread the joint press release (or maybe I did).

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    USA - Bay Area
    Posts
    1,893
    Device(s)
    NOKIA 3660
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T GSM
    Feedback Score
    0
    Still, we won't have to deal with Cingular's BS, like banning people from customer support for using an unsupported phone. At least VoiceStream knows what they're doing.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    2,507
    Feedback Score
    0
    Originally posted by Schukey
    Still, we won't have to deal with Cingular's BS, like banning people from customer support for using an unsupported phone. At least VoiceStream knows what they're doing.
    That situation should have been escalated because it sounds like someone wasn't doing their job properly. I was refering to the people that thought the coming of VS would be the panacea for the network problems. Customer service is another (and just as important) issue.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    USA - Bay Area
    Posts
    1,893
    Device(s)
    NOKIA 3660
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T GSM
    Feedback Score
    0
    I guess Cingular customers are so damn sick of Cingular that they can't even stand having "Cingular" on their screen anymore, lol.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Monterey Park, CA
    Posts
    5,542
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone Xs Max, Apple iPhone X, Apple iPhone 7 Plus, Galaxy S7 edge, Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Voicestream strictly deals with GSM, while Cingular supports multiple technologies at this point, this makes customer service sort of bad when you reach the TDMA area from GSM, OFF course the TDMA Cingular people never reach the GSM (CA) call center, while us GSM (CA) users have to get routed to the LA, GA call centers where they are strictly TDMA and to do anything GSM they have to read a manual. And every rep is trained to check the phones they will support before giving help so if you are honest and tell them you got a Ericsson T68 you will hear silence & click, happened quite a few time to people I know

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,728
    Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0

    Arrow here's why...

    LOL, Schukey. I'd definitely consider myself one of those unlucky people who just wants to get the word Cingular off their screen... Anyway, Rockstyle is a new employee of T-Mobile here in the bay area and has said that in June they will begin using their 20MHz of spectrum that they gained in CA. So the reason why many of us are happy is...

    1. Network coverage will be better with the extra cell sites that will be built.
    2. No more Cingular CS reps talking out of their @$$. (no offense, Lazarus)
    3. T-Mobile has better rate plans and better International roaming rates.

    Hope this helps to clarify things...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    SAN FRANCISCO
    Posts
    450
    Device(s)
    Nokia 6600/Razr V3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Well like I posted before, yes Cingular and VS will be sharing networks in addition to the 20 mhz of Spectrum that VS will be adding when the launch. I remember you had questions about where they got the 20 mhz and if you go back to that forum I think I explained all the places they got them from.

    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...threadid=18159

    That should help coverage and since netwrok is shared and spectrum is shared in California therefore both companies will have better coverage. And you can debate about how much it will help but with 20 mhz, you have to agree that it will help somewhat.

    ALSO in San Francisco, Cingular customers main concern isn't even about coverage. Coverage has gotten much better in recent years and my girlfriends Cingular works in a lot of places where my AT&T TDMA doesn't and when it does work it sounds clearer. The problem with CIngular in the bay area is this horrible overlaoded weitch which gives you a daily "system busy" when you try to place calls or when people call you at busy hours during the day and it is a bigger problem than coverage. Most places in the bay are covered and you kind of get to know and expect where it doesnt cover and can plan for that. You can't plan when the switch starts to get overloaded and people trying to reach you will get that horrible "system busy"

    With Voicestream handiling it's own switches than can handle up to 1 million customers, you shouldn't have that problem, and by the time VS reaches that mark, more switches should be operating.

    VS in California gives GSM users an alternative to customers who like GSM but don't like Cingular. VS gives customers a chance to see great rate plans that other markets in the nation have, but have not been available in California

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Wouldn't you like to know!
    Posts
    2,570
    Device(s)
    HTC Rezound
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    I just wanted to say hello from NC to rockstyle. What is your job with VS, you actually sound like you know what you are talking about, but I still think Cingular is better Of course I have never been to the "wrong" coast so I don't have much room to sympathize with yall out there although all GSM companies have issues with coverage at least here in the USA
    John 14:6 "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    2,507
    Feedback Score
    0
    Originally posted by Rockstyle
    You can't plan when the switch starts to get overloaded and people trying to reach you will get that horrible "system busy"

    With Voicestream handiling it's own switches than can handle up to 1 million customers, you shouldn't have that problem, and by the time VS reaches that mark, more switches should be operating.

    In a wireless network the "System busy" is from not having not enough traffic capacity at the switch but rather at the cell sites. All modern switches have far more traffic capacity (ranging from 250,000 to 5 million subscribers) than the aggregate capacity of the cell sites in the network. The "system busy" is a generic term that does not imply that the network is too busy per se but rather the best serving cell site and its neighboring cell sites no longer have any available voice channels to serve your call.

    You can plan and certainly do know when the cell sites (or even the switch) gets "overloaded": It is known as the "busy hour" and re-occurs regularly at the same time of day for any given day. The enginners are well aware of the each cell site's (and switch's) traffic pattern and how much capacity it needs to meet this demand. However cell sites have a maximum physical capacity and when that is reached, a new site needs to be added to that area (called cell splitting) - that leads to another problem carriers face: zoning for a new tower and NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) issues.

    Carriers can't just throw up towers where they are needed as much as they would like. Voicestream will not be immune to this either despite the apparent fact (sarcasm alert) that it is the best carrier in the world with not a single fault or flaw to it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    US-Magtheridon-H
    Posts
    1,397
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 5 (NE488LL/A v6.1.4 (10B350)), HTC One (4.1.2 - 1.29.1540.17)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    So if that's the case, then the only "real" difference between VS and Cingular would be the Customer Service, right? Considering that both would practically share the same existing, and future, towers in CA...that, in a sense, would make VS the same as Cingular...if you can't get reception with Cingular, then you probably can't with VS...or am I smoking something that I should share with you guys? Heh...
    "If you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    293
    Device(s)
    Nokia 6230
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular/AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Yeah I think you're right... coverage will probably be the same.

    But I think the difference will be the type of rate plans each one will have (as well as the customer service - just as you mentioned).

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    US-Magtheridon-H
    Posts
    1,397
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 5 (NE488LL/A v6.1.4 (10B350)), HTC One (4.1.2 - 1.29.1540.17)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    But I think all rates plans are about the same...people would take in consideration about coverage and CS...I mean, who cares if you get Unlimited Nights/Weekends when you can't connect? Those minutes would be useless...or like, you get 500 Anytime Minutes but you can't actually take advantage of them all the time because the network is always busy. Sucks. Let's just hope that Cingular will cone and see the light when VS comes near its deployment date...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    293
    Device(s)
    Nokia 6230
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular/AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Here's more wishful thinking on our part.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    SAN FRANCISCO
    Posts
    450
    Device(s)
    Nokia 6600/Razr V3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Originally posted by emag*rad


    In a wireless network the "System busy" is from not having not enough traffic capacity at the switch but rather at the cell sites. All modern switches have far more traffic capacity (ranging from 250,000 to 5 million subscribers) than the aggregate capacity of the cell sites in the network. The "system busy" is a generic term that does not imply that the network is too busy per se but rather the best serving cell site and its neighboring cell sites no longer have any available voice channels to serve your call.

    You can plan and certainly do know when the cell sites (or even the switch) gets "overloaded": It is known as the "busy hour" and re-occurs regularly at the same time of day for any given day. The enginners are well aware of the each cell site's (and switch's) traffic pattern and how much capacity it needs to meet this demand. However cell sites have a maximum physical capacity and when that is reached, a new site needs to be added to that area (called cell splitting) - that leads to another problem carriers face: zoning for a new tower and NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) issues.

    Carriers can't just throw up towers where they are needed as much as they would like. Voicestream will not be immune to this either despite the apparent fact (sarcasm alert) that it is the best carrier in the world with not a single fault or flaw to it.

    Well, I found out today, part of the agreement with Cingular call for them to increase capacity in areasadding 1500 sites by June and they also have to reduce call blockage (system busy) to 2 percent of calls during busy hours or less. Whcih is why Cingular has been claiming their network will improve by June and why their engineers have been scrambling to get these sites up, to increase call capacity in areas. They aren't just doing this for themselves, but because they have required to by the agreement reached by the two companies to share infrasture in the 2 largest markets.

    No VS call capacity will not be better than Cingular's come June, But the network which they both share, should be greatly improved over what it is now, but yes the average customer in California probably will think that VS is better even though his CIngular phone will have gotten better as well. The everyday customer who doesnt know that the 2 companies have the same network, and has switched from Cingular to VS will think that VS has better service because he's had all these problems with CIngular the year before that seem to have lessened when he switched to VS.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    293
    Device(s)
    Nokia 6230
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular/AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Very good point rockstyle. Voicestream will benefit from a lot of unsatisifed Cingular customers who will not realize that Voicestream & Cingular will basically have almost the same network coverage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks