Thread: Novatel T1114 - Disable Battery

Feedback Score

Question Novatel T1114 - Disable Battery

I use a Novatel T1114 in a mobile vehicle and turn the power to the unit on/off on an hourly basis. I would like to turn the device off when i take power away and turn on when power is applied. This doesn't work so well with the backup battery but when I take the battery out the device will not fully boot.

I tried to look in the configurations and could not find any settings to disable the backup battery. has anyone been successful disabling this battery?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have the same router, may I ask, why do you power off on an hourly basis? Just curious. I reboot mine every few days or so. The easies way I have found because of that stupid battery, is to login to the admin interface, go into the advanced LAN settings, and enable/disable IPV6. Doing this requires the router to reboot. Now I don't have to reboot it manually by pressing/holding the power button. Good luck.
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy S7, Verizon Unlimited

Feedback Score
    I am also curious about disabling the battery, for a different issue of course. I do not have a battery. And I really do not need one. I an wondering if there is a way to the the device to thing there is a battery installed. I am not sure if it would be a resistor connected between two of the prongs, or some other circuit. Such a pain that it will not power up fully without it.

Feedback Score

Novatel T1114 - Disable Battery

Quote Originally Posted by feeble View Post
    I am also curious about disabling the battery, for a different issue of course. I do not have a battery. And I really do not need one. I an wondering if there is a way to the the device to thing there is a battery installed. I am not sure if it would be a resistor connected between two of the prongs, or some other circuit. Such a pain that it will not power up fully without it.
    I too have an application where the battery is not required, has anyone ever came up with a workaround to bypass the battery ??
    Thanks
    Bill

Feedback Score
    I found a simple, free solution posted on youtube. I used a spare fan plug from an old 3-wire fan, but you could snip the plug/wires from the battery you pulled. Or be creative. The three wires (red, black, and yellow) need to be connected to each other. I just stripped the ends and used a wire nut. However you splice them be sure the connection is good or it might fail. Plug your modded plug into the router and turn it on. Shazam! Props to Dylan Wilson at BytePen Studios, and to his friend the digital electronics master for analyzing the charging circuit. The youtube video is titled Verizon Novatel T1114: Hardware Battery Bypass. Or I suppose you could add a bypass/no-bypass switch, mounted somewhere external, to cycle between modes as needed. Just FYI: the backup battery is to enable voice (telephone) to operate in a power failure., Even if you don't have voice on your modem plan the battery or bypass is needed.
    Last edited by bigredox; 09-28-2018 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Added idea for external bypass switch.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredox View Post
    I found a simple, free solution posted on youtube. I used a spare fan plug from an old 3-wire fan, but you could snip the plug/wires from the battery you pulled. Or be creative. The three wires (red, black, and yellow) need to be connected to each other. I just stripped the ends and used a wire nut. However you splice them be sure the connection is good or it might fail. Plug your modded plug into the router and turn it on. Shazam! Props to Dylan Wilson at BytePen Studios, and to his friend the digital electronics master for analyzing the charging circuit. The youtube video is titled Verizon Novatel T1114: Hardware Battery Bypass. Or I suppose you could add a bypass/no-bypass switch, mounted somewhere external, to cycle between modes as needed. Just FYI: the backup battery is to enable voice (telephone) to operate in a power failure., Even if you don't have voice on your modem plan the battery or bypass is needed.
    Great info, THANKS !

Feedback Score
    I appreciate all the interest in the Novatel T1114 wireless modem. I have this in my boat with a nest thermostat and other periperals and when the power goes out it will not reboot even with a ups attached. I tried removing the battery and cutting the three attached battery wires to the battery as previously mentioned and soldering the three wires together and shrink wrapping. After reinstalling and booting the T1114 it will not boot up. Red light comes on and then it shuts down. What am I Doing wrong ?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill91 View Post
    I appreciate all the interest in the Novatel T1114 wireless modem. I have this in my boat with a nest thermostat and other periperals and when the power goes out it will not reboot even with a ups attached. I tried removing the battery and cutting the three attached battery wires to the battery as previously mentioned and soldering the three wires together and shrink wrapping. After reinstalling and booting the T1114 it will not boot up. Red light comes on and then it shuts down. What am I Doing wrong ?
    does it boot with a power supply ?? do you get a "No Battery Powering Off" message ?? try this fix - https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...R1G79U8U7UX2EJ

Feedback Score
    It boots with a power supply. Remove the battery and install the battery plug with the 3 wires red yellow and black soldered togethet per previous posts and it will not boot. Red light comes on then goes off.