Thread: Rogers will no longer Price Match its "competitors"

Feedback Score

Rogers will no longer Price Match its "competitors"

Starting on January 16th, in-market plans and on-contract phones will no longer be price matched to those of the "competition". I put "competition" in quotation marks for obvious reasons. Since Big 3 are very much identical when it comes to pricing, this is a bit of non-news, but still an interesting development. Rogers calls this "creating value for customers".

http://mobilesyrup.com/2015/01/05/ro...tching-policy/

Feedback Score
    Rogers never priced matched plans, only handset pricing for hardware upgrade.

When the launched this price match thing originally it was pretty much a gimmick. The big three are usually in lockstep with their pricing anyways and the process for getting a price match was hardly seamless. Even without the official price match, consumers can still expect to get handset pricing match through retentions if they actually want to stay with Rogers.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B407 View Post
    if they actually want to stay with Rogers.
    Can't think of a single reason why they would want to.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Can't think of a single reason why they would want to.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
    Being from Manitoba I can say their network and "roam like home" are two very good reasons to stay with Rogers.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jcalder View Post
    Being from Manitoba I can say their network and "roam like home" are two very good reasons to stay with Rogers.
    I'll give you the Manitoba network. But "Roam like home"??? Share everything plans are ridiculously over priced(outside Manitoba and saskatchewan) and a requirement to "roam like home". I can add a $50 roaming package to my 6gb plan and still come up $20 ahead of the(Ontario) 6gb share everything plan. Although I'd still use roam Mobility and spend $4/day for unlimited everything and save even more. But that's me.

Rogers continues to "offer more value".

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    I'll give you the Manitoba network. But "Roam like home"??? Share everything plans are ridiculously over priced(outside Manitoba and saskatchewan) and a requirement to "roam like home". I can add a $50 roaming package to my 6gb plan and still come up $20 ahead of the(Ontario) 6gb share everything plan. Although I'd still use roam Mobility and spend $4/day for unlimited everything and save even more. But that's me.

If your trip is less than 5 days, then roam like home is cheaper.

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by xtachx View Post
    If your trip is less than 5 days, then roam like home is cheaper.
    Except for the ongoing monthly costs required to have access to roam like home (outside MB)

Sent from my HTC One M8

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1, Pixel XL, Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Nexus S
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo & Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    I must be getting old. I remember the 'good old days' when everyone bragged about having an unlocked phone, and getting a local SIM.

I still do it.
    Un-Rogered, and getting better 'value'.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score

10 GB of data for my phone, wife's phone and an ipad with unlimited Canada wide calling and texting and all that other stuff for $140 after tax? Then if I go to the states for a day it only costs me $5 and I can use my phone like normal? If I'm gone for a month it only costs me $50?

Seems pretty good to me.

I know, I know. I'm in Manitoba and I get the deals. The thing was he asked why anyone would stay with Rogers. I explained why I would want to stay with Rogers. Maybe elsewhere everything is preposterous. That's not my problem. I'm happy with them.

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1, Pixel XL, Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Nexus S
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo & Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    That's what people seem to forget. Use whatever service works for you in your area, and where it needs to. Home, office, or plowing a field...

The main reason I left Rogers was, I work in areas that weren't covered at the time. I had to get a Koodo sim for those times, and the 2 bills were a waste of money, so I moved to Koodo full time.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CGY Guy View Post
    I must be getting old. I remember the 'good old days' when everyone bragged about having an unlocked phone, and getting a local SIM.

I still do it.
    This isn't an "old fashioned" thing to do. For anyone doing any significant amount of traveling - particularly outside of North America - an unlocked phone and local SIM card is an absolute must.