Thread: unlocking a 5s - what am I doing wrong? :(

Device(s)
    V235
    Feedback Score

unlocking a 5s - what am I doing wrong? :(

so apparently it is unlocked on the server (according to unlocking service which i paid...).

i have followed the instructions, and even had to buy a Rogers SIM card so my iphone would turn on properly and connect to iTunes so I could update the software and connect to apple server.

Getting a "Sim not valid" message when i insert my mobilicity sim now….

i am reading now that the phone has to be activated first on Rogers for all this to work???

Phone is brand new in the box from Rogers.

frustratedly yours,

NokiaKiddo :/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NokiaKiddo View Post
    so apparently it is unlocked on the server (according to unlocking service which i paid...).

i have followed the instructions, and even had to buy a Rogers SIM card so my iphone would turn on properly and connect to iTunes so I could update the software and connect to apple server.

i am reading now that the phone has to be activated first on Rogers for all this to work???

frustratedly yours,

Your device is still locked or you have been scammed by the supplier.

Ask them to reconfirm the device status at their end. If the status is unlocked then it would definitely work on all carriers worldwide.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 on ST
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk/AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NokiaKiddo View Post

frustratedly yours,

Make sure you have completed the unlock process correctly in itunes. If you did not receive the "congratulations, your iphone is now unlocked") you may not have done the unlock correctly. Check with the supplier for instructions.

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    There is no need for the whole Itunes crap... If the phone is unlocked you will got get the invalid sim message... I unlocked a friends Rogers Iphone 5s recently and all he needed to do was pop in a sim once the unlock was completed
    I would get in touch with the unlocker as there seems to be a issue

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 on ST
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk/AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shushwap View Post
    There is no need for the whole Itunes crap... If the phone is unlocked you will got get the invalid sim message... I unlocked a friends Rogers Iphone 5s recently and all he needed to do was pop in a sim once the unlock was completed
    I would get in touch with the unlocker as there seems to be a issue
    You are wrong. Completely wrong. The way it works is the unlock supplier puts the imei on a "whitelist" through apple's server, saying it's unlocked. Then you have to do a restore in itunes and you will see the message. Then restore from back up when finished. There are other methods, but this is the for sure way.

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchypunk101 View Post
    You are wrong. Completely wrong. The way it works is the unlock supplier puts the imei on a "whitelist" through apple's server, saying it's unlocked. Then you have to do a restore in itunes and you will see the message. Then restore from back up when finished. There are other methods, but this is the for sure way.

via the HoFo App
    No I am not completely wrong there is and I repeat no need to hook up to Itunes to unlock a Iphone
    Please if all you know how to do is read other peoples dribble dont post on here about things you are not certain about

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 on ST
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk/AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shushwap View Post
    No I am not completely wrong there is and I repeat no need to hook up to Itunes to unlock a Iphone
    Please if all you know how to do is read other peoples dribble dont post on here about things you are not certain about
    You sir should get off the forums. Quit putting false information out, when you really don't know what you're talking about.

- 5+ years in the cellular industry

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    I have had 8-10 iPhones unlocked in the past few years from various sources. I have never needed to use iTunes to get the unlock to register. All that was ever needed was to put a new carrier sim in the phone and reboot it. It always came up saying "Searching", and after 10-20 seconds the second carrier would appear in the status bar. These unlocks were bought from Ebay, a local cell shop, and a few from AT&T after contract was paid off.

I actually can't recall EVER seeing the "Congratulations" message in iTunes after an unlock, now that I think about it. I certainly never needed it to use a different carrier service.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The telephone must have data access, either through a cellular data connection, Wi-Fi or via USB/iTunes, to obtain the unlock designation from the Apple servers.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    I have had 8-10 iPhones unlocked in the past few years from various sources. I have never needed to use iTunes to get the unlock to register. All that was ever needed was to put a new carrier sim in the phone and reboot it. It always came up saying "Searching", and after 10-20 seconds the second carrier would appear in the status bar. These unlocks were bought from Ebay, a local cell shop, and a few from AT&T after contract was paid off.

I actually can't recall EVER seeing the "Congratulations" message in iTunes after an unlock, now that I think about it. I certainly never needed it to use a different carrier service.
    IT seems we are wrong !!!!!!! You and I should get off the forums as the other poster has unlocked his 1 Iphone and he knows what he is talking about...
    I am glad others are commenting on this thread that have a clue how things work
    Thanx...

Feedback Score
    No problem, sometimes people get confused.

I remember one unlock in particular as an example. I'd paid for it and it was to take 3-5 days to be unlocked. I was driving from Spokane, WA to Portland, OR when I got the text informing me that my unlock was complete. I swapped my T-Mobile sim into my AT&T iPhone while on my roadtrip and was able to connect without being anywhere near my desktop. The communication to Apple either took place via AT&T before the sim swap or through TM after the sim was picking up their signal. All my iPhones have been JailBroken since my first 3g in 2009, but I doubt it matters in this case.