Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: AT&T 700 MHz network deployment as Band 12 using MFBI

Device(s)
    iPhone (Silver) Xs Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    (Dual Sim) T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!! Xfinity Mobile (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    So what 700 MHz band is it that AT&T uses currently, band 17!?

Also, why wasn't band 12 used from the start!?

Too, what band is Verizon 700 on!? I know what T-Mobile bought from them was band 12.

I know I'm all over the place, but I thought Sprint was the only one that was going to be using FDD-LTE.

Just trying to self-educate, so any responses are appreciated!!!

Thank You John Legere!!!
    Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T MSV 10+10GB, Sprint Free for a year
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hellojello123 View Post
    Totally agree on band 12. Band 2 however, was around LONG before the g block was used for anything wasn't it?
    That's a good point, although AFAIK, B25 existed prior to LTE, so LTE should never have been allowed to be defined on B2, only B25, leaving HSPA+ using the B2 design.

Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post
    So what 700 MHz band is it that AT&T uses currently, band 17!?

Also, why wasn't band 12 used from the start!?
    AT&T wanted to screw any little carriers with Lower A spectrum, so that it would be harder/more expensive for them to get compatible phones. Their public reason is some BS about interference, which never made any sense, as USCC deployed extensive Lower A spectrum and B12 phones, and doesn't have interference issues.

Too, what band is Verizon 700 on!? I know what T-Mobile bought from them was band 12.
    Upper C, which is sort on it's own planet, and has reversed dn/up from the Lower A/B/C. The way they divided up the spectrum here is a cluster**** and has made interoperability a PITA.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the explanation GSMinCT

Thank You John Legere!!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    That's not right since each block needs both the downlink and uplink when using FDD-LTE.

As it applies to Lower 700 MHz band with AT&T/T-Mobile US.
    Under FDD-LTE you have 6 MHz for downlink and 6 MHz for uplink, which the A, B and C blocks are designed for so each 700 MHz block is 12 MHz. The B+C blocks combined are 24 MHz wide. A total of 20 MHz (or 10 MHz FDD) is used for LTE on AT&T so the difference is 4 MHz and I suspect that there are two 2 MHz guard bands the beginning of the B block and the end of the C Block.

Verizon Wireless has one Upper C block which is 24 MHz wide, but like AT&T used 20 MHz (or 10 MHz FDD) for LTE.

The LTE bandwidth blocks are given in FDD sizes as it applies to AT&T/T-Mobile/Verizon Wireless since they only use LTE in the FDD format.
    Yes, I understand that each block is actually 12mhz total(6mhz for uplink, 6mhz for downlink)

What I meant was for at&t and its 700mhz blocks B&C combined (=12mhz for each uplink/downlink)... Just wondering if they would shift to one primary 10mhz and one secondary 1.4mhz channel, and 0.6mhz guard band(if this type of engineering is even possible?)

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the explanation GSMinCT
    Glad it helped. If you want to do more reading, check these two out:

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/a...hp?a=187&p=229
    http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/a...hp?a=99&p=1492

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Great read... Thanks for the links 👍

Thank You John Legere!!!

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Great read... Thanks for the links ��

Thank You John Legere!!!
    Glad you liked them. Those maps helped me out a lot, since I'm a visual person.

Device(s)
    6263/BB 8830/N73 Plum/Nokia 6230
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloTF View Post
    They never haven't been broadcasting on what 12 covers. 17 is merely a subset of 12 that doesn't have Block A to avoid the inherent interference issues. So a Band 12 radio looks for A, B and C blocks, and will get whatever of those 3 is available. Band 17 would look only for B and C. No hacks needed, and AT&T is moving to Band 12 devices as it is.
    Let me be sure of what I think you're saying. An unlocked phone with LTE band 17 will work out-of-the-box on LTE band 12, but only on the B and C blocks of band 12?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
    Let me be sure of what I think you're saying. An unlocked phone with LTE band 17 will work out-of-the-box on LTE band 12, but only on the B and C blocks of band 12?
    it's physically compatible (i.e. the AT&T band 17 phone will be able to receive and transmit the data sent on those B & C blocks)

but for it to work, the network needs to broadcast itself as band 17 (and band 12, aka MFBI)
    (the AT&T phone only looks out for signals identifying network as band 17)

so there are three cases for a at&t band 17 phone

A) Network only has block A (aka T-mobile). Network broadcasts itself as band 12 only, AT&T band 17 phone CANNOT use it
    B) Network has block A and B (and C). Network broadcasts itself as band 12(A&B&C) AND band 17(B&C) via MFBI. AT&T Band 17 phone can use the B&C portion (band 17), t-mobile phone can use all
    C) Network only has blocks B(and C, aka AT&T's LTE network right now). Network broadcasts itself as band 12 AND band 17. AT&T Band 17 phone can use B&C portion, t-mobile band 12 phones can use B&C portion.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Note 4 picking up band 12

Quote Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
    In addition to what's said above me. AT&T is moving quickly to support MFBI. Presumably everyone else is as well. Once AT&T effectively ended their lobby against interoperability in 2013 which had cited the interference on Lower A, they helped shape the FCC policy for lower 700 compatibility. In turn they got some changes to the E block so they can launch D more easily nationally.

Basically, it stipulates that this year 50% of all devices need to be Band 12, 75% in 2016 and 100% in 2017. Variations on a device don't count... So they've been activating the MFBI as quickly as possible and working with OEMs to test it. Nothing will prevent either type of device from working on AT&T, so long as MFBI is enabled. No hacks required. Look for this years flagships, iphone included, to have Band 12 only. The beauty of this, T-Mobile, USCC and the RCA are on board. So roaming agreements are a real possibility to flesh out the nationwide coverage.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

At&t 700 mhz now showing as band 12 on unlocked tmobile devices in NYC

Anyone else confirm around different parts of the country of MFBI?

Feedback Score
    Tmobile has the 12 band. AT&T does not. Are you sure an AT&T sim is in the device?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The network code is 310 so it's definitely on AT&T'S network.

http://www.attpublicpolicy.com/fcc/a...-700-mhz-band/

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Threads dealing with this topic merged and renamed with appropriate subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    Anyone else confirm around different parts of the country of MFBI?
    Birmingham, AL was the first confirmed sighting of AT&T identifying its current Lower B & C network as a Band 12 LTE network alongside with the current Band 17 identification.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    Threads dealing with this topic merged and renamed with appropriate subject.

Birmingham, AL was the first confirmed sighting of AT&T identifying its current Lower B & C network as a Band 12 LTE network alongside with the current Band 17 identification.
    Thanks for merging threads. Forgot about this one.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast