Thread: Sweet deal if it fits your needs

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score

Sweet deal if it fits your needs

If you haven't seen the offer, or haven't considered it, select (not all) Walmart stores are selling the Cricket version of the Moto E for $50 until Jan. 8. This device can easily be unlocked for around $3 (web services) and be used on T-Mobile. It's obviously a lower end (but not the lowest) Android device, and doesn't offer LTE, but you do get the AWS 1700/2100 MHz bands for HSPA+ speeds, with Android 4.4.4 and likely future upgrades. Really sweet device for the money, all costs considered. Highly recommended for the frugal but quality-minded user.

Feedback Score
    Be forewarned that the Moto E does not have a user replaceable battery. It also lacks a front camera, and its rear camera is only 5MP.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, be forewarned: It's a discounted $100 device, not a $300 one.

Feedback Score
    It's also not $600.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5, Nexus 6P, Boost Mobile ZTE Speed, Moto G5 Plus, Moto X4
    Carrier(s)
    SafeLink(T-Mobile), FreedomPop(AT&T and Sprint), Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    In my humble opinion, people buying new phone without LTE capability will cost them a lot more in the long run for the life of the phone as they must have voice service plan on 2G to do the talking. Mobile carriers and MVNOs are trying to milk voice and text service charges and fees as long and as much as they can, just like telephone companies are trying to milk land line service charges and fees. Likewise for cable television companies are trying to milk cable television and phone service charge and fees. Another good example will be AOL still makes most of its money off millions of dial-up subscribers.

After all, people actually only need unlimited, fast and low ping high quality Internet access with absolute net neutrality from mobile carriers, MVNOs, telephone, cable companies alike.

I was on T-Mobile $30 per month prepaid (not a penny extra) plan that includes unlimited text and data with first 5 GB LTE but only 100 minutes for talking. I have been using VoIP 100%. Therefore, I did not use any of 100 minutes included in the plan at all. Furthermore, I found out I actually only use about 650 MB data every month since I have Wi-Fi at home and at work. In addition, I have access to Cable WiFi® as well. As result, LTE virtually only is used when I am driving. When I am driving, I only use map, may be short and brief telephone calls occasionally.

Consequently, I switched to Red Pocket $5 per month for ½ GB data only prepaid (not a penny extra) plan. Since the switch, my monthly cost of mobile phone service is about $6.50.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hoktrillian View Post
    I was on T-Mobile $30 per month prepaid (not a penny extra) plan that includes unlimited text and data with first 5 GB LTE but only 100 minutes for talking. I have been using VoIP 100%. Therefore, I did not use any of 100 minutes included in the plan at all.
    I've found VoIP to be unusable on TMo. While the incoming VoIP audio is spectacular, the recipients say that my voice is choppy and garbled, so I use all my talk minutes and then some. Fortunately I have no problem with 10¢/minute for talk overages.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mel2000 View Post
    I've found VoIP to be unusable on TMo. While the incoming VoIP audio is spectacular, the recipients say that my voice is choppy and garbled, so I use all my talk minutes and then some. Fortunately I have no problem with 10¢/minute for talk overages.
    Are you on LTE all the times? What software you used for VoIP?

Feedback Score
    I have experienced the same. Even Skype will drop my audio completely but the other end sounds great to me.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gedster314 View Post
    I have experienced the same. Even Skype will drop my audio completely but the other end sounds great to me.
    Are you on LTE when doing VoIP? What phone were you using?

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6 / S9+
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM/Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Are you on LTE when doing VoIP? What phone were you using?
    Admit it, data only isn't always the solution.

Feedback Score
    Are you on LTE all the times? What software you used for VoIP?
    My Galaxy S2 only supports 4G, not LTE. I use only 4G for VoIP. I have tested all major Android VoIP apps and settled on Zoiper, which is the only one that had no behavior or configuration issues. However, the call quality is equally awful using Google Hangouts on my laptop, so I don't think the phone or software are the issue.

I had acceptable VoIP quality on my 3 Mbps Comcast WiFi connection on my laptop, though barely acceptable quality on my LG Vortex using CSipSimple with Comcast. I'm currently getting 4G speeds of at least 8 Mbps with TMo. That should be good enough to get decent VoIP quality on my laptop or phone, but such is not the case.
    Last edited by mel2000; 12-26-2014 at 05:49 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Lightbulb

My Galaxy S2 only supports 4G, not LTE. I use only 4G for VoIP. I have tested all major Android VoIP apps and settled on Zoiper, which is the only one that had no behavior or configuration issues. However, the call quality is equally awful using Google Hangouts on my laptop, so I don't think the phone or software are the issue.

I had acceptable VoIP quality on my 3 Mbps Comcast WiFi connection on my laptop, though barely acceptable quality on my LG Vortex using CSipSimple with Comcast. I'm currently getting 4G speeds of at least 8 Mbps with TMo. That should be good enough to get decent VoIP quality on my laptop or phone, but such is not the case.
    That is why I stated:
    In my humble opinion, people buying new phone without LTE capability will cost them a lot more in the long run for the life of the phone as they must have voice service plan on 2G to do the talking.
    For the very same reason and fact, only LTE would work for VoIP that is why you only see carriers offer voice over LTE, not any older mobile data technology.

For VoIP, you don't need a lot of bandwidth. Just about 256 kbps is sufficient, but you do need symmetrical upstream and downstream speeds, low and consistent latency/ping times in 10s ms.

Please try to compare the ping response times on LTE and HSPA+. You will find there is a big difference. It's not the same as comparing it to wired internet access, as with mobile data when driving at actual freeway speed over a period of time that requires changing cellular towers too.

Feedback Score
    For VoIP, you don't need a lot of bandwidth. Just about 256 kbps is sufficient, but you do need symmetrical upstream and downstream speeds, low and consistent latency/ping times in 10s ms.
    Interesting. This is the first I've read that LTE offers improved latency results vs HSPA+. I was under the impression that LTE only offered higher speeds. My current ping results are high and inconsistent. Sounds like I should have chosen the Galaxy S3 instead of the S2.

EDIT: Just read more on HSPA+ vs LTE. Looks like the marketing of HSPA+ as part of the 4G family is misleading since they use entirely different network designs and spectrum, resulting in significantly lower latency with LTE. Wish I had known.
    Last edited by mel2000; 12-27-2014 at 01:47 PM.