Thread: Around Ottawa...

Device(s)
    Lots
    Carrier(s)
    Currently Videotron and Bell. Has used PM, Wind, Koodo, Koodo, Bell
    Feedback Score

Ottawa Around Ottawa...

Looking at the HSPA and LTE map, Videotron has Ottawa covered.

How is it in real life?

Is LTE a must? Is LTE in Ottawa Rogers based on that agreement they have?

-gmd

Device(s)
    Lots
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Regarding roaming, who is the second roaming partner? Is roaming in Ottawa allowed on HSPA? Or is it for LTE only?

Feedback Score
    In Montreal there are some hiccups with Videotron. Was frustrating. Had them for 3 years and ended up going back to Telus. Much more stable and robust network. Not really worth being with Videotron.

As for LTE, it depends on what you use your phone for. For some people HSPA+ is good enough.

IMHO, it is better to be with the Bellus network than the Videotron/Rogers combo.

Device(s)
    Lots
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue17 View Post
    As for LTE, it depends on what you use your phone for. For some people HSPA+ is good enough.
    I meant in order to get good coverage, as the HSPA+ and LTE map do not match at all.

I'm pretty happy with HSPA+, thank you!

-gmd

Carrier(s)
    Videotron
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gmd View Post
    Regarding roaming, who is the second roaming partner? Is roaming in Ottawa allowed on HSPA? Or is it for LTE only?
    Roaming is available on Rogers' HSPA and LTE network. In Ottawa, the coverage is very good. Apart from a few fringe areas (which aren't covered by Bell or Telus either) I have yet to encounter any dead zones. Further, Videotron also has a DAS system in place in most shopping malls which ensures excellent coverage.

Rogue's comments stem from a hatred towards Videotron; take them with a grain of salt. I have been with Videotron for almost 3 years and I've yet to encounter any issues, be they customer service or network related.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OntarioGuy View Post
    Roaming is available on Rogers' HSPA and LTE network. In Ottawa, the coverage is very good. Apart from a few fringe areas (which aren't covered by Bell or Telus either) I have yet to encounter any dead zones. Further, Videotron also has a DAS system in place in most shopping malls which ensures excellent coverage.

Rogue's comments stem from a hatred towards Videotron; take them with a grain of salt. I have been with Videotron for almost 3 years and I've yet to encounter any issues, be they customer service or network related.
    Hatred of Videotron eh? Everything is hunky dory with Videotron right?

Even on French forums Videotron fanboys have noticed issues with the network.I know of 3 people who had Videotron and went back to the Big 3 this week. 2 went to Bell and 1 with Telus. The 2 that went to Bell broke their contract with Videotron and paid the Early Termination fees!!!

They got tired of the BS Videotron was giving them concerning reception, missed calls but phone never rang, or call goes directly to Voice Mail, or at times someone calls and they get a busy signal and you're not even on the phone, or on some calls. the voice is garbled and metallic and you have to hang up and call back. Now that they are Bell and Telus they do NOT have these issues.

So, when I have a family member that is in the hospital calls me but the phone doesn't ring. You call that hatred?

You know something, this NEVER happens with Bell or Telus. It does however, also happen on Rogers as it does on Videotron.

Others have noticed these issues.

If you weren't so blinded by their prices, I know Videotron likes to use huge bold numbers, you might actually see the flaws in their network.

Though Videotron has an agreement with Rogers, it doesn not fix these issues as Rogers has some of these issues as well. Ask around. I know someone that has Rogers and recently has issues similar to Videotron. So basically since Rogers and Videotron went together on LTE.

Guess what? He's switching to Telus in 2 months when his Rogers contract is over. So I guess these people are imagining things are have hatred for Videotron/Rogers.

If you read the Quebecor Intervention on Wireless, you will see that apart from cheaper Domestic Roaming Wholesale prices they want Seamless handoffs and a slew of other things.
    They complain about dropped calls and other things.

Now they are tight with Rogers and have an agreement with them for 20 years. So one would think that everything would be super duper with Rogers. But Quebecor knows that Bell's Network is superior and wants the CRTC to rule in their favour.Then they can piggy back on the Bell and Telus Network on the cheap because they know it is better than Rogers.

Videotron has no coverage in Gaspe but neither does Rogers.
    Last edited by rogue17; 12-22-2014 at 05:55 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Videotron
    Feedback Score
    I get it. I am sure the OP gets it. You love Bell and Telus. The fact that you wrote 10+ paragraphs to justify your adoration towards them is clear as day.

Videotron's network is not perfect but Bellus' isn't either. With Telus, I remember awhile ago they had problems with delayed/dissapearing SMS messages. Perhaps this issue has been fixed (no doubt you will let me know) but I have yet to hear of any network In the world that is completely problem free given the complexities in operating one.

In regards to the French forums and in particular, DSL Report's Videotron forum, it's not all doom and gloom like you say. Sure, there's one particular poster who at every single opportunity is there to extol the wonders of the Bellus network. In fact, I've often wondered if this particular poster is you.

Feedback Score
    I get it. I am sure the OP gets it. You love Bell and Telus. The fact that you wrote 10+ paragraphs to justify your adoration towards them is clear as day.
    Hmmm... Yeah, OK.

So, I'm sure the OP gets that you love Videotron. Would that be a fair assessment?

There are numerous issues with Videotron but I never said Telus was perfect. But the issues I mentioned, I have not experienced with Telus.
    As for the 10+ posts, then you didn't see the one where I criticized Telus. That's OK.

When I'm indoors and I had issues with Videotron I gave them a pass as they are using AWS, But when I'm downtown close to their head office, I get those problems with full bars then that is a different story.

I am sure you got the promo awhile back and it is a a good deal. As I got one too at the time. However, at current prices Videotron is not worth it. I am talking here about only one service being mobile and not bundled with other services. The difference is currently $3-$5 is not worth it.

Can we at least agree on this.

Happy Holidays.

Carrier(s)
    Videotron
    Feedback Score
    Rogue, I don't love any telephone company. If Videotron's services were as bad as you say they are, I would have ceased being a customer a long time ago.

The OP was asking about Videotron's network here in Ottawa. As an Ottawa resident and a Videotron customer, I felt that I might be able to provide some insight into the quality of their network in Ottawa. Further, compared to the other new entrants here in Ottawa, WIND and Mobilicity, I can assure you that Videotron's network beats them all hands down. This goes in terms of call quality, customer service, reliability and, despite using dreaded AWS frequencies, in building coverage. Sure, Videotron's network will require some tweaking to optimize it but is it worth paying $40+ more for a plan with either Rogers, Telus or Bell? I don't think so.

Which brings me to my last point...

The OP is inquiring about Videotron here in OTTAWA. Why then do you claim that the Big 3 offer plans that are only $3 - $5 more? It has been pointed out to you NUMEROUS times that here in ONTARIO, a 6GB plan with Bell, Telus or Rogers is going to cost at least $120+/month compared to Videotron's 6 GB offering at $80.00/month. Do I think the OP might be better off saving $40.00+ a month ($480/year) and become a Videotron customer? Absolutely. Are Videotron's services reliable? I'd say they are based on my almost 3 years of being with them.

Feedback Score
    OK I was referring to Quebec as the prices are almost identical. My bad.

I am surprised the Big 3 in Ottawa didn't lower their prices despite having Wind, MOBI and Videotron. Or offer some promos there.

Its all a question of what one is willing to pay for and what he/she considers value and is willing to put up with.
    As for Ottawa I have seen some good reviews for both Wind and Videotron. Nothing much about MOBI though.

Concerning Telcos, I always tell people not to tie themselves to just one company. At one point I canceled everything I had with Bell. And I left Telus. Then I tried other providers. So how they worked and then made other decisions as to stay or leave them.

What I would like is an MVNO but that is probably 10 years away. A Lyca Mobile like in the US or Orange in the UK.
    Last edited by rogue17; 12-22-2014 at 08:07 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Off topic question since there's no action in this forum....

I switched two months ago from Rogers to Videotron, long story. I live in Montreal and am soon going to use the partners eg: Rogers in Ontario (Toronto etc..) and Northern US Vermont and NY. Does anyone have experience using their partners and which frequency are you able to get? LTE / 4G / 3G?

Thanks in advance and sorry to change the topic.