Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Is SERO worth keeping at this point...

Feedback Score

Is SERO worth keeping at this point...

...or is it more trouble than its worth?
    So many years ago, when SERO first became available, it was a very good deal for $30/mo, and slowly over the years, Sprint added more to it, like unlimited sms. But as devices have become more advanced and more data hungry, prices have gone up to be able to use 'premium' devices with SERO. As it stands now, $50/mo using an iPhone on Sprint still isn't a bad price, but it isn't the deal it once was. Especially when they have unlimited everything now for $50/mo with the iPhone. Just getting unlimited minutes alone wouldn't be enough to make me consider switching away from SERO, as I don't use that many minutes. But there are all the hoops we have jump through to get certain things done with SERO. Its not easy (or close to impossible) to have a third-party reseller, like Best Buy add a device to the plan. Even getting someone at Sprint to work with the plan, who knows what it is, can be difficult. Most promotions do not apply to SERO accounts. Overall, it just makes me question whether it is worth keeping or not, and I'd like to hear others' opinions.
    I realize roaming is different on the new plans, data may even throttled at some point, although I haven't seen that. But besides all that, is it really worth keeping?

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    While SERO isn't the deal it once was, it's still pretty good. I would most likely move on because of the 4G and General phone coverage. Even in the Philly burbs, coverage is less than stellar.
    SERO 1250+
    SERO 500+
    HTC One
    iPhone 5S
    BB 9900

Feedback Score
    I bailed on it this summer and haven't looked back. Got tired of the hang-ups on upgrades and "who can help me with my account?" issues. I'm not a power user of any phone offering, so the ability to slice and dice my plan, with a corporate discount (which I was once able to have on the account), and have multiple lines is pretty nice, now. SERO was awesome. It's sort of "meh", with all the unlimited offerings or "very near" limited features which exist on almost every carrier now.

Device(s)
    Nexus5/Nexus6
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by timeless2 View Post
    I bailed on it this summer and haven't looked back. Got tired of the hang-ups on upgrades and "who can help me with my account?" issues. I'm not a power user of any phone offering, so the ability to slice and dice my plan, with a corporate discount (which I was once able to have on the account), and have multiple lines is pretty nice, now. SERO was awesome. It's sort of "meh", with all the unlimited offerings or "very near" limited features which exist on almost every carrier now.
    We bailed on SERO after years as well with 3 lines. The value just wasn't there anymore. Switched carriers, bought new phones, and still ended up saving over a grand priced out over 2 years. The increased coverage and working service was a plus as well.

Feedback Score
    I bailed on Sprint and Sero 3 years ago also. The value, the data speeds and the coverage just weren't there. At $30/month I can excuse a lot. At $50/month you better have competitive service and in my area, they did not.

Feedback Score
    I'm not in a position to leave Sprint at this point, and I'm fine with that. While I once had stellar credit, being out of work for 3 years starting in 2010 did a number on it and I'm just starting to put things back together. Besides, Sprint service is okay in the area I'm in. Its not great, but not bad either, so I'm sticking with Spring for now.

I didn't dig into the fine print yet, but what would be an advantage of keeping SERO at this point? I'm not talking about sticking with Sprint or not, but specifically SERO.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gedster314 View Post
    I bailed on Sprint and Sero 3 years ago also. The value, the data speeds and the coverage just weren't there. At $30/month I can excuse a lot. At $50/month you better have competitive service and in my area, they did not.
    Nailed it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gedster314 View Post
    absolutely correct - feel the same way
    I too have a SERO plan and can't wait for the contract to end.
    The Price advantage is gone when compared to other Carriers (prepaid) especially.
    Unlimited Data does not help either as one is most of the time on 3G which is as fast as a snail.
    LTE connections are far in between.

So I probably will switch to a pre-paid carrier - no contract - and save on a monthly basis some $$$

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve510 View Post
    ...or is it more trouble than its worth?
    So many years ago, when SERO first became available, it was a very good deal for $30/mo, and slowly over the years, Sprint added more to it, like unlimited sms. But as devices have become more advanced and more data hungry, prices have gone up to be able to use 'premium' devices with SERO. As it stands now, $50/mo using an iPhone on Sprint still isn't a bad price, but it isn't the deal it once was. Especially when they have unlimited everything now for $50/mo with the iPhone. Just getting unlimited minutes alone wouldn't be enough to make me consider switching away from SERO, as I don't use that many minutes. But there are all the hoops we have jump through to get certain things done with SERO. Its not easy (or close to impossible) to have a third-party reseller, like Best Buy add a device to the plan. Even getting someone at Sprint to work with the plan, who knows what it is, can be difficult. Most promotions do not apply to SERO accounts. Overall, it just makes me question whether it is worth keeping or not, and I'd like to hear others' opinions.
    I realize roaming is different on the new plans, data may even throttled at some point, although I haven't seen that. But besides all that, is it really worth keeping?

SERO is still a very good plan at $60 a month BUT the question is how good is ur service?..do u have good data speeds? do u have LTE in ur area?

as long as ur service is good i would keep the SERO line...i would of kept mine but everything was so bad i ported my number over to t-mobile its much much better than sprint

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cellwizzard View Post
    absolutely correct - feel the same way
    I too have a SERO plan and can't wait for the contract to end.
    The Price advantage is gone when compared to other Carriers (prepaid) especially.
    Unlimited Data does not help either as one is most of the time on 3G which is as fast as a snail.
    LTE connections are far in between.

So I probably will switch to a pre-paid carrier - no contract - and save on a monthly basis some $$$
    i would check out metro pcs which runs on t-mobile and own by t-mobile...they have a true unlimited data plan at $60 ive used about 70GB's and never got throttle!

https://www.metropcs.com/cell-plans/...ils/GSM60.html

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve510 View Post
    I'm not in a position to leave Sprint at this point, and I'm fine with that. While I once had stellar credit, being out of work for 3 years starting in 2010 did a number on it and I'm just starting to put things back together. Besides, Sprint service is okay in the area I'm in. Its not great, but not bad either, so I'm sticking with Spring for now.

I didn't dig into the fine print yet, but what would be an advantage of keeping SERO at this point? I'm not talking about sticking with Sprint or not, but specifically SERO.
    The reason I have it over a prepaid is because I like iPhones (or other high end phones). It's a subsidized contract, which is becoming increasingly rare. I got a 64GB iPhone 6 Plus for $400 vs the $850 I would have paid if I went with prepaid. Getting $450 cushion over two years makes SERO very competitive against any prepaid plan.

That said, I'm down to one SERO line from 3. That's cuz Sprint just sucks in the places I travel to. It's a lightly used line. Mainly use it for mobile internet.

Feedback Score
    The phone subsidy makes SERO appealing.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint Sero Premium
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Whereas YMMV, I still love SERO. I get upwards of 25 Mbps downspeed in my home, and about 10-12 at my job. I waited through the WiMAX nosense (which never came here), and the days of 25 Kbps 3G speed (!).
    I was holding on, and I'm glad I did.
    Now, however, there is a new issue. Spark.
    I can't get as good a 4G signal with the new Spark phones. I may have to return my new Note 4, and get a Note 3!

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gambit57 View Post

The reason I have it over a prepaid is because I like iPhones (or other high end phones). It's a subsidized contract, which is becoming increasingly rare. I got a 64GB iPhone 6 Plus for $400 vs the $850 I would have paid if I went with prepaid. Getting $450 cushion over two years makes SERO very competitive against any prepaid plan.

That said, I'm down to one SERO line from 3. That's cuz Sprint just sucks in the places I travel to. It's a lightly used line. Mainly use it for mobile internet.
    Also the SERO plans have the older roaming restrictions... 300 mb /850 or a majority of minutes. No automatic charging above the 300 megs...

N

Device(s)
    iPhones, Samsung, Motorola.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Best Activation Experience Yet

I realize since I've been on SERO plan I always have to call the special SERO number. Options that may be easy for normal customers have never really worked for me. i.e. get new phone, try to use website to activate, get warned they will force a plan change. Quit that process, call the SERO number, maybe more than once, then eventually get things going. So in short, I'm used to fighting like heck to get normal operations done due to my special plan.

Anyway, wife's iPhone 6 came today. Went to Sprint.com/activation. It didn't work-- even though it displayed the new MEID and ICCID.
    But this time it offered to "chat" with a representative who got it all done in about 30 minutes.

May sound so-so, but believe me, this is big step forward for Sprint. It has literally taken me days to get new phones activated in the past.
    None too soon, as SERO isn't the special deal it once was. My wife's philosophy is don't mess with anything that is working (and she's not the one that calls Sprint repeatedly to get stuff done). Anyway, alls well that ends well.

-Dan
    ---
    http://pages.uoregon.edu/dalbrich
    Eugene, OR -- Pacific Northwest

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast