Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Is SERO worth keeping at this point...

Carrier(s)
    Sprint Sero Premium
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Thumbs up

Hmmm...I never had that problem, just the usual experience (or should I say the NEW usual experience) at corporate a store. I went to a corporate store to renew & upgrade my phone. They had to change my SERO account to a regular account to do it, then call a number and have it changed back into a SERO account. I was scared to death that they would screw it up, and say "oops! No more SERO!"
    But it all work just fine.
    As a side note, I returned the phone, and got a different one. That did not require any account change. Apparently, just the upgrade process did. They said it had something to do with SOC codes.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Tello 1GB + 100m, unl txt
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you tether its a decent value. Nothing else offers so much for the cost. But otherwise absolutely not. You're going to be stuck on a 2008 phone, bad coverage and slow speeds.

I liked my SERO, but I did not love it. The phone selection was awful, the customer service was awful, they said I signed a contract (thank god I didn't) and tried to overcharge me for not staying with them. They kept telling me how it was a good deal... good deal if you like hours of CS who keep parroting why they won't give you something good. I called like 40x to get a $100 credit. They finally got tired of me and offered me $50 which I reluctantly took. I should have gotten the $100 to be honest.

If you ask this question, you already know its not a good value.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint Sero Premium
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    How is a Note 4 a 2008 phone?
    I think you haven't had SERO since before there was SERO-P.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Tello 1GB + 100m, unl txt
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That's no longer a very good deal. I had it with the Evo, +10 for premium, +10 for premium data, +some percentage for taxes. Might as well get their $60 plan. At that point its no longer SERO.

Plus now I have basically useless phones that were on Sprint I cannot unlock. Its a dead end.

Feedback Score
    Anyone able to add a new line to an existing Sero-P account lately?

Carrier(s)
    Sprint Sero Premium
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    To my knowledge, no one's done that for several years. They wouldn't do it for me, about 2 years ago.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint Sero Premium
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Depressicaa View Post
    That's no longer a very good deal. I had it with the Evo, +10 for premium, +10 for premium data, +some percentage for taxes. Might as well get their $60 plan. At that point its no longer SERO.

Plus now I have basically useless phones that were on Sprint I cannot unlock. Its a dead end.

Ummm....no.
    The $60 plan isn't sixty dollars. You have to add a lease amount on top of the monthly payment for the phone. No subsidy. And then, don't forget the $11 a month insurance.
    Plus, you don't own the phone. That means no rooting, or you will pay the difference in the cost at the end of the lease term.
    You will end up spending $95 - $100 amonth, and maybe get a $15 a month loyalty discount.
    Wow. No deal there.
    I just got my Note 3 (yes, I dib't get the Note 4), paying $56 a month, unlimited (I have the 'Any Three, Any Network' add-on).

Loving it!

Device(s)
    iPhones, Samsung, Motorola.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by oZo View Post
    Hmmm...I never had that problem...
    First off, glad to hear things have worked well for you. That just hasn't been my experience.

My own experience spanning about 10 years has been that no corporate store in Oregon has been able to help me. And yes, I've tried several times. They start by up-selling me to a currently offered plan for more money, and claim to have never heard of SERO. It's
    been so consistent, it's as if the staff have been trained to turn all SERO people away (or up-sell).

When I call their customer service, more than once on hold for more than 2 hours (not exaggerating at all) and had the call drop. Wait till next day, try again. Usually about the third try I actually reach a human being that helps me get something simple done (activate new phone). This only happens every 2-4 years so it's minimally tolerable.

Anyway, any discount I've had with Sprint has been "earned" in sweat equity. I do think they've changed somewhat for the better in recent time, and their "normal" plans are now more reasonably priced. Our Sprint line is my wife's and she likes it, so I keep it going for her. She's also never personally used another carrier FWIW.

And has been mentioned, yes the money matters. SERO Premium is subsidized, so my wife's new iPhone 6 was 1/2 of retail cost with a new 2 year contract. In a word, that's why we keep it.
    ---
    http://pages.uoregon.edu/dalbrich
    Eugene, OR -- Pacific Northwest

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Framily is still the best deal. $45 for unlimited everything...

Device(s)
    Nexus5/Nexus6
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    Framily is still the best deal. $45 for unlimited everything...
    Too much work though having to maintain people.

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by oZo View Post
    Ummm....no.
    The $60 plan isn't sixty dollars. You have to add a lease amount on top of the monthly payment for the phone. No subsidy. And then, don't forget the $11 a month insurance.
    Plus, you don't own the phone. That means no rooting, or you will pay the difference in the cost at the end of the lease term.
    You will end up spending $95 - $100 amonth, and maybe get a $15 a month loyalty discount.
    Wow. No deal there.
    I just got my Note 3 (yes, I dib't get the Note 4), paying $56 a month, unlimited (I have the 'Any Three, Any Network' add-on).

Loving it!
    Exactly -- and it's why I think that the phone companies (and T-Mobile started it) actually charge *more* for their non-subsidized plans... Aside from not having a 2 year contract, there really are no benefits from going unsubsidized.

Case and point... $649 phone that you have to pay $27 per month for on the $60 plan -- that'd be $87 per month

If it was subsidized to $199, that's a $450 subsidy over two years -- the phone company eats around ~18.75 per month over the course of 24 months.

So it seems that if they introduced a $60 plan with a subsidy (Verizon did this with a 2 gig data plan for $60 recently) -- you should be able to buy the plan with NO subsidy for around $41.25 per month. Sprint's subsidized plan is $80 per month; or a whole $1.25 more per month than if you bought the $60 plan and paid $199 in device payments then could somehow divide the rest of the phone purchase price at $18.75. Not to mention that Sprint ate the sales tax for the amount of the phone above $199 on subsidy... you have to pay the entire ~$60 up front now in tax.

I just don't see where the cost savings comes in since subsidies have went away -- unless you are on Cricket or StraightTalk which were always in those price points anyway. It just seems like they have shifted the costs at the very least, and are actually charging more "overall" in some cases. Unless you buy unlocked (or have a BYOSD on Sprint) or primarily buy low end devices (or get a Sharp Aquos on Sprint), you don't come out ahead...

As for SERO, once you add in the subsidy, it's still the best deal around on a "main brand service" -- especially now that subsidies are slowly going away.

In addition, everyone needs to do themselves a favor when dealing with their SERO Plan: I've said this many times before, but the most knowledgeable reps at Sprint are on Chat care -- it seems totally opposite of most companies, but the chat reps know exactly how to deal with SERO plans; I've yet to have one screw up my plan yet. If you go to a store, you are asking for trouble. If you go to a non-corporate store or Best Buy, you are REALLY asking for trouble.

N

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Thank you. I keep doing the math and if you use higher end phones, SERO is still an awesome deal simply due to the subsidy. My 6 Plus is like $35/mo so $60+35 = $95/mo for "renting" the phone. Seems like a pretty crappy deal to me. If I divide the $400 I paid, it's less than $17/mo. So, $50+17 = $67. SERO is $28/mo cheaper for me than going with the $60 plan.

And, FWIW, I got the 6 Plus at a 3rd party Sprint Store. I was scared as hell, but they checked (called Sprint) to make sure they could renew my contract without any problems. It worked. The manager was the one who helped me and she did seem really knowledgeable, but still... Anyways, it worked. I'd never try it at Best Buy though or most 3rd Party places. And my local corp Sprint store is full of a**wipes who straight up lied to my face and said it couldn't be done without even bothering to pretend to check to see if it could be done.

I can't remember if Sprint was eligible, but for some reason, the cell companies seem to be really dealing on the premium phones. I got a 6 Plus 64GB for my Verizon line for $328 instead of $400. That's a pretty huge difference too in favor of subsidy plans.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    "... knowledgeable reps at Sprint are on Chat care" --

The online activation attempt failed (it *always* has for me)-- even though the site knew the IMEI and ICCID numbers (displayed them).
    This time it jumped to chat, and a chat rep helped me in about 30 minutes total. Best activation experience I've ever had with Sprint.

So +1 to the use chat reps comment.

Feedback Score
    I haven't been able to do an online ESN swap for several months. It always errors out and I have to call in and that's always a PITA. Also, chat option is never available. I think it's account related. Some of my accounts offer the option while others don't. Go figure.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Just a comment on what YCGrad posted: I'm 100% convinced that different customers not only get different handling electronically but also even reach different call centers (which may be both by plan-type and region). - and some history (FWIW):

When my wife and I started with SERO the program was brand new. I believe that time-period pre-dated Howard Forums-- and I likely learned about it via equivalent usenet discussion. The initial offering was $30/mo. When I signed up, and within days, got a call from a guy who sounded like he was from India, offering to discount my service $5/mo if I agreed to a new contract. No, not kidding. This brought both lines down to $25/mo. Initial offering was 500 mins, 9pm nights and weekends, unlimited data, vehicle navigation, messaging (text and multimedia). Any phone could be used on SERO-- although I'd hardly call the phones of that time period smart phones. This predates iOS and android. Earliest version of SERO was slightly different, want to say it was 9pm nights or something, but all I had to do is call to get the 7pm nights once available, and extend my contract.

The other killer things for Sprint at that time: Loose roaming was permitted - up to 50% of your total usage or 800 minutes, and 50% usage for data. My windows mobile phone of that time period could be easily tethered to my laptop. Sprint had EVDO 3G data here in Eugene more than 2 years ahead of Verizon. So very full-featured (better than the competition, and way cheaper) -what's not to like.

We went through a couple/few years with SERO where one could not upgrade their phone to anything one would call a modern smartphone. The odd bit was that some smartphones were permitted, just not android and those considered premium models (Sprint didn't have iPhone at that time). Later they offered folks the option to jump to a new plan (only if you already had SERO) called SERO Premium at $50/mo. but then they would allow any phone (modern smartphones included).

Anyway, so it was a really good deal for folks like me when it all started, and over time has become less of good deal. The savings were significant enough that I'd sit on hold for 2 hours plus to reach a human, be treated badly (often dropped call, repeat). So the trick was get the plan, leave everything alone and enjoy it. Contacting Sprint was understood to be a bear, and I didn't care due to price I was paying.

But yes, spanning many years:
    - Online activation has never worked for me, not even once, at anytime. (not for my account anyway).
    - Corporate stores in Oregon have always claimed to not know what SERO is, and cannot help, save to change us to a different plan.
    - Online Chat has never worked for my account spanning years, until this most recent activation. And yes, I've tried chat in the past repeatedly and been told my account didn't qualify for chat support.

So all I can say, my experience *has* been different and worse than others have reported in the forums and I don't know why.
    I can say that one of my SERO lines was added during a time when Sprint chose to open SERO to all comers-- they offered folks the ability to add a SERO line with no real employee email address, or more specifically "[email protected]" -- and yes this promo was advertised on the sprint.com/sero site for several months back in the day.

So lots of history, but yes, you will see folks with different experience than my own, and yes I think it matters what account type and region they are in--- We SERO customers, we're not all the same for some reason...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast