Thread: 4G LTE Coverage

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

4G LTE Coverage

Is it normal to be in heavily populated areas, outdoors, and have no 4G LTE on an iPhone 5S? Sprint's coverage map claims I should excellent 4G coverage indoors and out but that is not the case, 3G only. I've noticed this in a few places, but the issue always specifically occurs by the Lehigh Valley Mall in Pennsylvania. Just wondering if it's a device issue or Sprint being Sprint.

Thanks,
    Dan

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well your 5s does not support band 41 and you can trust sprint coverage maps. Did you try to turn on airplane mode and turn it off to see if you get lte ?

Device(s)
    LG G8, LG K20 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by djcue95 View Post
    Is it normal to be in heavily populated areas, outdoors, and have no 4G LTE on an iPhone 5S? Sprint's coverage map claims I should excellent 4G coverage indoors and out but that is not the case, 3G only. I've noticed this in a few places, but the issue always specifically occurs by the Lehigh Valley Mall in Pennsylvania. Just wondering if it's a device issue or Sprint being Sprint.

Thanks,
    Dan
    Maps are computer generated and not really 100% on the money.

Some of it may be the device as well. I don't know what bands the 5s is capable of receiving LTE on.

For example, I have found that my wife's LG Optimus G will at times be on 3G while my iPhone 6 has a good LTE signal. The Optimus is 1900 (band 25) LTE only so it misses out on 800 & 2600.

Of course the Sprint being Sprint factor is always a possibility.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone SE, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    3 lines on Sprint, 1 line on Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Is "enable LTE" turned on under settings?

via the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Try airplane mode on/off or restarting it. Sometimes the 3G to LTE handoff isn't good.

But yes, it's possible because Sprint overstates their tower's LTE coverage area. It's easily noticeable in rural towns (like mine) when they switch a 3G tower to LTE on the coverage maps, the LTE coverage are is huge, despite LTE coverage area being smaller than 3G.
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Check the coverage maps from Sensorly or Root Metrics to get a more accurate idea of actual people's use. That may help in identifying any coverage gaps vs. 'official maps'.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thanks guys! I do have enable LTE on.. I'm pretty sure the 5S is dual-band but I can't be certain.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    Check the coverage maps from Sensorly or Root Metrics to get a more accurate idea of actual people's use. That may help in identifying any coverage gaps vs. 'official maps'.
    Sure enough, Sensorly shows weak LTE around the Lehigh Valley Mall.

Feedback Score
    A significant problem I have with Sprint (and Verizon, both CDMA carriers) is that when LTE is weak the phone, especially iPhone's will drop to 3G instead. Idk if it is the way eHRPD interacts with the handover from LTE but compared to GSM based carriers it seems easier to lose LTE in a spotty area and slow to switch back up.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    3 lines on Sprint, 1 line on Verizon
    Feedback Score

4G LTE Coverage

My Verizon iPhone 5 always shows LTE. I can't remember the last time it showed 3G. On the other hand, when I had an iPhone 5c with Sprint, it constantly switched back and forth despite almost all towers in my area being LTE upgraded. It sometimes would stay on 3G while driving the interstate in an all LTE area and I would have to toggle airplane mode to get LTE back. Never have this issue with Verizon. Dropped calls and unstable data caused me to cancel Sprint before my 14 days was up.

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Sprint's coverage maps are basically a lie. They overstate their coverage to laughable levels. LTE simply will not cover more area than CDMA yet Sprints coverage maps make it look like LTE covers 30-40% more area than with CDMA 3G.

I was optimistic at one time that this was because LTE 800 would cover new areas and make these maps true but I was wrong it only covers slightly more area than LTE 1900. It remains inferior to CDMA 1900.
    iPhone XS:
    Verizon February UDP (Physical Sim)
    AT&T Unlimited Plus (E-SIM)

iPad Pro 10.5:
    Verizon February UDP

Rural Internet:
    Nighthawk HW1.0 LTE on AT&T Unlimited Plus
    Don’t cheap out on your cables!!!
    Years of struggle to get good speeds on a crap signal
    All solved with some quality LMR400 cables
    (went from 1-6mbps to 20-60mbps!!!)

AT&T Fiber

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by djjim View Post
    My Verizon iPhone 5 always shows LTE. I can't remember the last time it showed 3G. On the other hand, when I had an iPhone 5c with Sprint, it constantly switched back and forth despite almost all towers in my area being LTE upgraded. It sometimes would stay on 3G while driving the interstate in an all LTE area and I would have to toggle airplane mode to get LTE back. Never have this issue with Verizon. Dropped calls and unstable data caused me to cancel Sprint before my 14 days was up.

via the HoFo App
    The issue you mentioned with having to toggle airplane mode to get LTE in fully covered areas is constant for me, a major pain. I'm not sure yet but I'm thinking of seeing if Sprint will take the phone back or let me walk free, even though with the $60 Simply Unlimited plan, I'm technically not on contract. I'd rather take my business to Cricket as it seems to have few cons and AT&T coverage without AT&T prices.

Feedback Score
    Sprint is slowly installing upgrades in the area, including B26 (800 Mhz) and B41(2500Mhz) . You'll probably see more over the next few months. Some parts of Allentown already have B26 installed. The 5s supports B26, which should give you better building penetration and less 3G . In my area (SE MI) we have some B41, and it averages about 35Mb/s download but it isn't everywhere and still not much building penetration.

If you want the faster speeds consider upgrading to an iPhone 6 series or GX5, or switch to a different carrier and get an recently released phone.