Thread: Roam mobility

Feedback Score

Roam mobility

Definitely try out Rome mobility if you're traveling to the United States. Unlimited calling anywhere in the US and back to Canada unlimited text messaging and huge amounts of data.

Don't waste your time with add-ons with your Carrier

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson K850i,Sony Ericsson W810i,Nokia N8
    Carrier(s)
    Sasktel
    Feedback Score
    What network does roam mobility use???

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido, Koodo
    Feedback Score
    t-mo primary, att secondary
    trekkie604 [ Phone Photos ]

Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trek. View Post
    t-mo primary, att secondary
    I don't think Roam Mobility uses AT&T at all. Even T-Mobile can only use voice on AT&T's network. Unless you're on a monthly plan, then you can use data.
    Last edited by xero9; 11-19-2014 at 04:52 PM. Reason: punctuation

Feedback Score
    Roam doesn't use AT&T at all. I don't even think you have access to AT&T in areas where T-Mobile has roaming agreements with AT&T.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I looked at roam's webite.. Definitely good pricing... Only downside is u need a new number.. Haha

Sent from my Bacon (OnePlus One) using Tapatalk Pro
    $48
    Unlimited incoming and outgoing calls, Unlimited Canada-wide long distance
    Unlimited text, picture and video messages from Canada to Canadian, U.S. and international wireless numbers
    5 GB of Data, Call Display, Voicemail, Unlimited Circle Calling, Call Waiting, Conference Call

Gold Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge 32GB + 128GB SD Card

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I tried it before, i did pay the upgrade to a 4G and did not work only 3g in Baltimore, Miami, Houston and California, after 2 days my 2 gigs of data stopped working, after almost an hour on the phone they claimed that I used it all, support is probably the worst, definitely will never use them again, cheap buy bad experiences

Device(s)
    Unlocked iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    FIDO for Canada
    Feedback Score
    Ya I have used them a bunch of times, mixed reviews.
    upgraded to 4G - did not get 4G ever, connected to 4G on my phone but data didn't work and missed calls. so had to go back to 3G network.
    decent connection, data is OK, calls were clear.

had issues with billing and being in the USA with a paid week but no service and no help from CSRs (said I paid and should have service, and I kept getting the error message to call in and activate when using the phone)

It's cheap yes, definitely a great deal for what you get. The times I had zero issues it was very very worth it.
    I hate having to change my number though. But that's how it goes.

like everyone, I WISH fido and rogers would come up with a decent competitive plan for roaming. not the stupid $8 and get nothing per day, or the new rogers $5 a day i you upgrade to our brutal monthly plan.
    My Plans (Rogers): Biz Share Flex $80 (unlim stuff w 4gig) + $35 second line.

Carrier(s)
    Fido | Roam Mobility | T-Mobile UK |
    Feedback Score
    Use Roam all the time.

I forward my FIDO calls to my VOIP number and then to forward that to my ROAM # (I also have 2500 forwarding minutes with FIDO, but it's less convenient to cancel the forwarding on the way home vs. doing it online with my VOIP provider).

The only thing you lose with ROAM is text messages (well, the inbound texts to your FIDO #). Very few people text me (since I primarily use Whatsapp), so not a huge deal.

It's not consistently LTE, but it's generally good speeds/reception where I go (NY, SF/PA, Vegas, etc). Easy and no-extra-charge tethering is also a bonus.

Highly recommended.
    Current Devices:

Sony xperia z3 compact 16GB + 64GB MicroSD locked BL
    Fido Galaxy S4 i337m
    Samsung Galaxy Camera 2
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" 2013 i7 2.8Ghz
    iPad Mini Retina 32GB Wi-Fi

Fido plans
    2x $56/mth unlimited everything + 2GB data
    1x $35/mth 5GB data-only plan

Feedback Score
    I have used Roam off and on with Iphones - generally in the West Coast (Washington, Oregon, Cali). In general, it works well, but I never fail to have one day during my week or more of usage where it just doesn't work and I have to call in and ask them to do something. It never fails to fail at least once at some point during a trip. Actually, Roam sent out an email in the summer to all subscribers apologizing for this perpetual issue.

What I have found from my last trip was that using Fidos 40 dollars plan - which allows for 200MB and a few minutes and unlimited texting, while expensive, was way more convenient in terms of piece of mind and such. Luckily the hotel had WIFI so I didn't even hit 100MB in the 8 days I was gone and I didn't lose connection even one time. If I had used roam, it would have been 12 dollars cheaper and basically carefree usage but also guess work in terms of whether where I was had TMobile and whether or not Roam's "connection" with Tmobile would have been stable. To me, I would rather pay the 12 bucks, get a bit less, but have usage than to spend an hour on the phone and constantly rebooting to hope I get usage....

I may go to Roam again, especially if I go somewhere where I know Tmobile is strong and if I go for more than week. Even then, especially if I go to places with prevalent WIFI Roam increases with cost for each day and the 40 dollars Fido charges is for technically a month of usage....so

What it boils down to is if I text Canada a lot or call back alot. I choose not to conduct much business when I'm on vaca, and to not stream video when not on WIFI so 200 MB is plenty for a week or 10 days.

My 2 cents
    I'm not telling you anything that you can't just google for yourself

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mickliq View Post
    Use Roam all the time.

I forward my FIDO calls to my VOIP number and then to forward that to my ROAM # (I also have 2500 forwarding minutes with FIDO, but it's less convenient to cancel the forwarding on the way home vs. doing it online with my VOIP provider).

The only thing you lose with ROAM is text messages (well, the inbound texts to your FIDO #). Very few people text me (since I primarily use Whatsapp), so not a huge deal.

It's not consistently LTE, but it's generally good speeds/reception where I go (NY, SF/PA, Vegas, etc). Easy and no-extra-charge tethering is also a bonus.

Highly recommended.
    For inbound texts, you can always use Fido's Extreme Text Massaging app before you leave and set it to copy your texts to an email address or phone number. That way you get the texts and then can reply however you want. I also usually set up an auto-reply warning people I will be replying by email or from a US number.

Next time I head down, I might try Wind. They roam on both AT&T and TMobile.
    Unlocked iPhone XS Max 256GB, Unlocked JetBlack 128GB iPhone 7Plus, Unlocked 64GB iPhone 6, unlocked 32GB iPhone 5 (AWS), unlocked 16GB iPhone 4
    $60/10GB Unlimited Canada-wide anytime minutes, Unlimited international messaging (SMS/MMS) CD, VM

Device(s)
    Unlocked iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    FIDO for Canada
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ceredon View Post
    For inbound texts, you can always use Fido's Extreme Text Massaging app before you leave and set it to copy your texts to an email address or phone number. That way you get the texts and then can reply however you want. I also usually set up an auto-reply warning people I will be replying by email or from a US number.

Next time I head down, I might try Wind. They roam on both AT&T and TMobile.
    great solution for the text messages.
    and yes, I have been SOOOO close to going Wind this past year. friends and family on Wind have been reporting excellent reception and service lately in my Hamilton-Burlington area (so their network must be growing and expanding steadily), and the USA roaming add on is unreal. Even went to the states with friends on Wind (with the US roaming add on) and had flawless usage and tethering. All included and fast.

The gap is closing where Fido reps get to argue the Wind price for sub par service is no longer the argument.

*sorry to go Wind on us for a sec LOL