Thread: Best Buy Plot...

Feedback Score

Question Best Buy Plot...

So...Best Buy has the new Note 4 on sale for what seems to be essentially $99. You buy the phone (with a 2-yr contract) and they give you a $200 Gift Card on the spot, and you can use it towards the purchase of the phone.

Here's my plan...Get the AT&T version, wait my 2 weeks, then switch to T-mobile for a cheaper plan. I talked this over with a T-Mobile rep and he thought it was a good plan, but cautioned that their payment of the ETF ONLY covered the phone, NOT The plan, so I might end up getting screwed and on the hook for AT&T fees for the plan.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm aware that I would probably need to get the AT&T phone unlocked. (Question for another day.)

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Airpocalypse View Post
    So...Best Buy has the new Note 4 on sale for what seems to be essentially $99. You buy the phone (with a 2-yr contract) and they give you a $200 Gift Card on the spot, and you can use it towards the purchase of the phone.

Here's my plan...Get the AT&T version, wait my 2 weeks, then switch to T-mobile for a cheaper plan. I talked this over with a T-Mobile rep and he thought it was a good plan, but cautioned that their payment of the ETF ONLY covered the phone, NOT The plan, so I might end up getting screwed and on the hook for AT&T fees for the plan.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm aware that I would probably need to get the AT&T phone unlocked. (Question for another day.)

Thanks!
    Not sure if BestBuy has a separate etf but some places like Amazon have an additional elf if you cancel within the first 6 months. Before you start the process, read BestBuy's fine print.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    That is risky. Why not buy the phone outright and see if you can still get the gift card?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    That is risky. Why not buy the phone outright and see if you can still get the gift card?
    Gotta agree with this.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score

Best Buy Plot...

This doesn't sound like it would work.

From what I understand you must trade in a phone and purchase a new phone from tmobile to get tmobile to pay off your ETF.

From t-mobiles website:

"In order to qualify for this ETF offer, you must be switching from a postpaid plan on a contract with another carrier and port your current numbers to T-Mobile. You would need to trade-in a mobile phone or tablet and purchase a new device with T-Mobile on a qualifying postpaid Simple Choice plan "

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 128 GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Airpocalypse View Post
    The Best Buy offer is not for a $200 gift card with purchase of the Note 4. It is "Get a guaranteed $200 Best Buy gift card when you trade in any working smartphone and purchase the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 or Samsung Galaxy S 5."

Feedback Score
    I think BB had you sign some fine print that says they get to charge you $300 if you cancel. This is because ATT pays them commissions for signing up new customers and takes them back for anyone who doesn't stay for a certain amount of time.

A small independent wireless store owner told me he has a similar deal with ATT.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If I recall, Bestbuy and Radioshack were some of the only 3rd party places that still weren't tacking on their OWN contract/etf for leaving early.

You could leave ATT and yes, Tmobile only pays your ETF, not your monthly charges or anything. I mean, you still owe for the service you'd have available for the month. Also be aware, you get hit with much higher fees and taxes on the ETF because those are typically based off your total bill amount.

Device(s)
    S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    So when you trade in your brand new Note 4 in exchange for T-Mobile paying your ETF, how exactly will you be ahead? You'll still have to purchase a new phone.