Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Nokia 6015i says "roaming," will not activate on Verizon.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Nokia 6015i says "roaming," will not activate on Verizon.

Hi Folks!

Long time lurker, first time poster. I have a job that takes me to not-so-safe areas, and that also requires a lot of talking on the phone. To minimize the risk of my lovely Droid Maxx getting hurt or stolen, I purchased the most rugged phone I could think of on ebay - a Nokia 6015i. Yep, pull-out antenna and all. Admittedly, I also purchased the phone for nostalgia value, and for its awesome predictive-text function.

I have successfully programmed two Nokia 6015i's to work on Verizon's CDMA network in the last two months, but since they were used, they had issues like sticky buttons and the "blue screen of death," so I sent both of those back. Phone #3 seems to be perfectly functional, gets a full signal, and *should* be able to activate. It is the Verizon CDMA model of the 6015i, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't a prepaid phone, as it says "RH-55" as it's "type" in the battery chamber. When I tried to activate it at the store, all of the reps laughed at me and said that "the network is getting updated, there's no way that thing will work."

Here's the issue; I live in Minnesota, and the phone is originally from Virginia (757 area code). There is the "roaming" notification constantly flashing on the main screen. The phone does get E911 signal and can have its GPS location function turned on. Switching between digital or analog mode didn't seem to do anything, neither did choosing between "home" or "automatic" network settings. The Verizon rep I talked to said that the phone wouldn't activate while it thought it was "roaming," which is weird, because I have done the same thing with other phones from out of state and it has worked. I asked the rep if the phone had a clean ESN, and here's where it gets weird...

The rep said that there was no record of the phone's ESN on the Verizon network. The ESN does not register as lost or stolen, however. This is clearly a phone that has seen some use, and it is clearly a Verizon-branded phone on both parts of the case. I have heard that prepaid phones won't get activated on Verizon's network, which seems like B.S. to me, but whatever. Prepaid phones usually say P or PP under the model type (or so I've heard) which my phone does not have. It says RH-55. The rep said that he would put in an order to have my phone's ESN manually entered into Verizon's database, and to wait a week to see what would happen.

My question is this: if the phone's ESN isn't in Verizon's database, will adding in the ESN manually cause the phone to be able to update it's PRL with the *228 function? I kinda doubt it, since whenever I dial *228 from my phone I get a message saying "code 7 switch 628" or something like that, and then the phone makes an error sound and hangs up. I tried entering *228 80 and a few other codes, but no luck. I would really really like to be able to use this phone! It's so cute, and you gotta love 'dat Nokia tone. How can I force the phone to go out of "roaming" mode? Or is all this effort for naught? I know that Verizon has some issues with activating old phones... I just hate having puzzles I can't solve! It's a strange situation, and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas.

Device(s)
    Motorola VE20 (mine)
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Once they get the ESN into the Verizon database, you may have to manually program the phone. The entry point is *3001#12345# and then you will need the service lock code which is 000000 (six zeros). At a minimum you will need to program in the mobile directory number (MDN), the mobile identification number (MIN), and the system identifier for your area (SID). The phone won't register on Verizon's network until the ESN is in and attached to your phone number. That is why the *228 won't even attempt to program your phone. Keep us posted.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Just dial *22800, 01, 02, 03, etc until you get the verizon activation system

that's all i ever do when i have that problem, and it should work just fine, as the 00, 01, 02, etc just tell the phone to check the Cellular A (00), Cellular B (01), PCS A (02), PCS B (03), etc..

I think you can go from *22800 - *22809 if i recall
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Hmmm... I'm gonna try that! I know to just never try the Nokia full reset code. I bricked a phone that way. :-/

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I tried calling *28800-09, but I got all Sprint activation messages. Since this is a Verizon phone and I am a Verizon customer, I am assuming that activating that way won't work.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Check in the phone info menu that the actual ESN matches the label. Someone may have swapped the motherboard or reprogrammed the ESN.

Otherwise, what Brad said... If it is possible to go to a place where there is Verizon but no Sprint signal, it may lock on to Verizon there.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Got into the NAM menu, and here is what I found:

Home SID1 4178
    Home NID1 66635
    Home SID2 4379
    Home NID2 65535
    Home SID3 0
    Home NID3 65535

home NID continues as 65535 for 20 more slots.

Network code: 0
    Country Code: 310
    Primary CDMA channel A: 283
    Secondary CDMA channel A: 691
    Primary CDMA channel B: 384
    Secondary CDMA channel B: 777
    Own number (MDN): 00000000000....

Mobile ID (MIN): 0000009167

A-key Code: ?

Alpha tag: ?

AMPS home SID: 2

Primary paging channel: 334

Access method: 1

Local option: 1

Group ID: 10

NAM status: disabled

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Hi @HF305, I found the phones serial number in the NAM menu. It matches the one inside the battery case. I'm really hoping manually entering the ESN can help me out! Obviously the phone gets signal, it just won't program automatically.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I tried changing the NID to 00026 (Minneapolis St. Paul) through the NAM menu, but it says I need to enter a "service programming code" and 000000 won't work. Thoughts? Also, would doing this make my phone stop roaming?

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    SID 4178 and 4379 are nTelos. looks like phone was flashed to ntelos at some point

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Ntelos huh? Never even heard of it. I'm gonna look it up

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Looked at the ntelos coverage map. There is no way I could get ntelos coverage for Minneapolis. What do you guys say? Scrap the phone and find a new one, or wait and see of they add the ESN to Verizon ?

Device(s)
    Motorola VE20 (mine)
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    nTelos partners with Sprint so I suspect they use the same MSL code system which is why the default 000000 that Verizon uses didn't work. The phone will never program over the air with Verizon until that MSL code is reset to 000000. You will need the obtain the current MSL either from nTelos or using a cable and a program such as CDMA Workshop. The demo version of CDMA Workshop will read the MSL for you. Once you have the current MSL, you can reset it to something else.

Southwest Missouri, transplanted from So. Cal
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon of course. I've tried the rest, now I have the best.
    Feedback Score
    If the phone was originally a Verizon phone would a full factory reset restore the phone to it's original pre activated Verizon state including the six zero access code? Just a thought.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    A full factory reset on a 6015i results in the phone not being able to recognize signal from US cell phone towers. The phone then needs to be completely reprogrammed so that it will work on any cellular network. Nokia is unable to fix it, and no specialty repair shops carry the software needed to re-flash an old Nokia phone anymore.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast