Thread: Pay off ETF without closing account?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Pay off ETF without closing account?

I've got a couple lines with unlimited data, and had no intention of giving them up, so I upgraded to iPhone 6s and signed new contracts. Now the new double data MobileShare promotion has me thinking of switching to the 40GB plan. Financially, I'd be better off paying the ETFs now and getting the $15/line rates if at all possible... but I don't know if AT&T allows that. Anyone know for sure?

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    No. They don't, unless you bought them on NEXT. I'm that case you can pay off the balance on the phone in full after 30 days.

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    ATTWS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by speer320 View Post
    No. They don't, unless you bought them on NEXT. I'm that case you can pay off the balance on the phone in full after 30 days.
    There's a path to convert from contract to Next -- perhaps you could do that, wait 30 days, then pay off the Next.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Call the Retentions Department. They offered to let me pay my ETF and get out of contract to get the $15 rate.

I decided against it because I'm keeping my unlimited data plan.

via the HoFo App
    AT&T: 2009 to Present
    Sprint: 2000 to 2009

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
    I've got a couple lines with unlimited data, and had no intention of giving them up, so I upgraded to iPhone 6s and signed new contracts. Now the new double data MobileShare promotion has me thinking of switching to the 40GB plan. Financially, I'd be better off paying the ETFs now and getting the $15/line rates if at all possible... but I don't know if AT&T allows that. Anyone know for sure?
    I am in the EXACT same boat as you, and I plan on calling ATT for this as well. I have 4 lines and upgraded 3 to the mobile share plan (40GB after doubling) but my 4th line was recently upgraded via 2 year contract. I'd much prefer to pay the ETF as in the long run you save so much money but I don't want to close my account either.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The Mobile Share Value Plan is not a form of upgrading. It is a change of service plan and can be done without upgrading. The options for upgrading are the Next plan and traditional twenty-four month contract.
    Last edited by efparri; 10-04-2014 at 04:14 AM.
    Earl F. Parrish