Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New $40.00 fee?

Device(s)
    ATT Tilt 8925
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score

New $40.00 fee?

Ok, I have family on an ATT Family Share plan with 15gb of data. My device is on the next plan as well as my son. My wife got a new phone Sept 1st (iPhone 5s). Now on my current bill there is a new 40.00 fee. Supposedly its some sort of punishment for not going with the next plan and we "lost" a discount. Anyone familiar with this? And had any luck getting it waived or reversed?

Thanks

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I believe that is the standard fee for having a smart phone on a Family Share plan. Nothing new or unusual.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score

New $40.00 fee?

Smartphone line on 2yr contract is $40 a month

Smartphone line on NEXT is $15+NEXT price.

So base iPhone 5s on next would be $37.92 a month.

attcalc.com/next

So it is cheaper to do your wife's phone on NEXT.

Cost Over 24 months.

$909.99 on next 12 or 18 plan

$1099.99 on 2 year.

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The $15 per smartphone with Next or Bring Your Own Device only applies if you get ten or more gigabytes of data. Otherwise it is $25 per smartphone.
    Earl F. Parrish

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Looks like the 40 comes in on the contract price. Using 1 line as an example, off contract or next should be $20 for 300mb plus $25 for the access fee so $45 total. On contract it would be $20 for the data plus $40 for fee which is $60 per month. Next would be like off contract price of $45 plus the next payment on the lowest data.

The numbers can be changed as the data choice increases or the number of lines goes up, contract, or next factors in also. Next can give $15 or $25 off access fee depending on plan.

It can be confusing with all the numbers running around.
    Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 via the HowardForums WP7 App

Device(s)
    NOKIA Lumia 1520, NOKIA Lumia 920 (wife's phone, NOW)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dchaney297 View Post
    Ok, I have family on an ATT Family Share plan with 15gb of data. My device is on the next plan as well as my son. My wife got a new phone Sept 1st (iPhone 5s). Now on my current bill there is a new 40.00 fee. Supposedly its some sort of punishment for not going with the next plan and we "lost" a discount. Anyone familiar with this? And had any luck getting it waived or reversed?

Thanks
    The $40 fee could be the upgrade fee (on contract, used to be $36). NO upgrade fee w NEXT.
    informed/intelligent comments are welcome ... BS - not so much ...

peace,
    ROK

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dchaney297 View Post

Thanks
    Simply put, it looks like she bought the iPhone on contract ($199/$299/$399 device charges) rather than via AT&T Next. As others have said, when her line went to contract pricing, it comes with the full $40/mo. voice/text line fee, not counting data, as well as a $40 activation fee.

Having bought the iPhone on contract, you aren't going to be able to get the charges reversed or converted to Next.

At least with smartphones, it seems like Next *always* comes in cheaper than contract, despite the lower initial sticker price of going contract and subsidized.

Device(s)
    ATT Tilt 8925
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    <face palm>.

I told her to wait for me,but she just had to go right then. FML

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to go bury my head in the sand now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    A further consideration is that she could have bought an iPhone 6 for the same price as the iPhone 5S if she had waited a little longer. The buyer remorse period is over.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5 Active (camo)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, you lose the line discount when you get a subsidized phone, since the mobile share plans aren't considered two year contracts. If she would have went with NEXT, she would have kept the discount (you also can keep it if you pay the full price of the phone up front or buy a used/unlocked one). Now, it's going to be $40 a month for her line, just like it would be if you had a normal 2 year contract.

Device(s)
    ATT Tilt 8925
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    She got the 5s for something like $50 (subsidised), so that was cheaper than the iPhone 6. Then had she gone with the next plan one has the monthly charge of the phone. So either way they get us.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I am in IT and always tell people who ask that the price of the iPhone (and other smartphones) is very deceptive so read carefully. There is no such thing as a 99 cent, $49, $99, $199 etc. iPhone, not even for previous models. Even a basic flip phone still has an actual value upwards of $200, and any smartphone really costs $500 or more with flagships at $650 or more. Expect to pay that, minimum, for a phone... and yes, more yet on contract. Subsidized phone prices really are a bait-and-hook.

Non-contract pricing such as AT&T Next really is a savings for the consumer yet we do often tend to view it as prices having gone much higher since the sticker price looks higher.
    Last edited by joelwnelson; 09-24-2014 at 11:40 AM. Reason: minor edits

Device(s)
    NOKIA Lumia 1520, NOKIA Lumia 920 (wife's phone, NOW)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joelwnelson View Post
    I am in IT and always tell people who ask that the price of the iPhone (and other smartphones) is very deceptive so read carefully. There is no such thing as a 99 cent, $49, $99, $199 etc. iPhone, not even for previous models. Even a basic flip phone still has an actual value upwards of $200, and any smartphone really costs $500 or more with flagships at $650 or more. Expect to pay that, minimum, for a phone... and yes, more yet on contract. Subsidized phone prices really are a bait-and-hook.

Non-contract pricing such as AT&T Next really is a savings for the consumer yet we do often tend to view it as prices having gone much higher since the sticker price looks higher.
    What he said ^^^^ - ya gotta do the math, extrapolated over a contract term (24 months) !

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5 Active (camo)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Exactly. This is why AT&T now has mobile share plans and NEXT. That way you're not paying for the phone once you're actually done paying for it, so technically you end up over paying after 2 years.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 Active using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    ATT Tilt 8925
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    You all think there is anyway they let us redo the deal?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast